• Current Donation Goals

paulw66   
7 hours ago, kev61 said:

He is and who thought he would be a good signing? - he was a shambles for us from the get go a player that falls  over his own feet! - midfield again will kill us again unless Frank sorts it.

Midfield will be 3 from Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic, RLC, Barkley and Mount I expect. Strength in quality and numbers. 

Bakayoko will definitely be gone. Drinkwater, who knows, but on the basis of yesterday, I would much rather keep him than Baka if it was a straight toss up

As for the game - difficult to garner much with 22 players used. Defending was pretty shocking at times, and free kick aside, the goals were gifts. 

3 games I have seen now, and hard to take any comfort out of it at all.  Barkley and Mount look good against a Championship mixed A/B team.  There is a tremendous lack of steel in the defensive approach.  3 of our 5 tip players, Kepa, Kante and Rudiger are not fully fit yet.

Reading were 20th out of 24 last year in the Championship.  All our players were in the prem or at least the play-offs for the prem.  Yet frankly only about 7 or 8 of our 22 were distinguishable from Reading players.

6th could be a struggle.

paulw66   
17 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

3 games I have seen now, and hard to take any comfort out of it at all.  Barkley and Mount look good against a Championship mixed A/B team.  There is a tremendous lack of steel in the defensive approach.  3 of our 5 tip players, Kepa, Kante and Rudiger are not fully fit yet.

Reading were 20th out of 24 last year in the Championship.  All our players were in the prem or at least the play-offs for the prem.  Yet frankly only about 7 or 8 of our 22 were distinguishable from Reading players.

6th could be a struggle.

At the same token Barcelona were La Liga Champions. All a bit meaningless.

I don't really see how much can be deciphered when you are making 10 substitutions at half time. 

Hopefully the defensive side will settle when we stop dicking about with personnel (not a dig at SFL) and we throw Kante back in. 

Leo91   

Go back and watch Sarris pre-season and how we actually ended up playing over the year. It means nout. 

paulw66   
7 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Go back and watch Sarris pre-season and how we actually ended up playing over the year. It means nout. 

I can't remember any of last season's pre season. What happened?

Leo91   
3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I can't remember any of last season's pre season. What happened?

Two touch passing. Good movement. Triangles in and around the box. 

Leo91   

The biggest takeaway for me is the ability to change from 4231 to a diamond 442. Flexibility is big and something we've missed for a while under Conte and Sarri. Opposition knew exactly how we played. Obviously will have to wait and see if its implemented in a proper game. 

16 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

At the same token Barcelona were La Liga Champions. All a bit meaningless.

Barca looked a lot lot better, a different class.  I'm no more going to get excited about that result than the draw with Bohemians or loss to Kawasaki.

19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I don't really see how much can be deciphered when you are making 10 substitutions at half time. 

As far as organisation is concerned, true.  But I do want to see snatches of ability from the players, and only Mount and Barkley have achieved that.

21 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Hopefully the defensive side will settle when we stop dicking about with personnel (not a dig at SFL) and we throw Kante back in. 

Organisation probably yes.  But the steely edge should be there, between the errors, even in pre-season.  They look soft - they look like they didn't think they were any better than Reading.  There are 6 open places in the first team waiting for someone to stake a claim, just two look like they want one (the same one).

3 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Flexibility is big and something we've missed for a while under Conte and Sarri.

Well no.  Flexibility exists even when formations remain unchanged.  For Conte, both WBs, Azpi at RCB, one of the CMs and both wingers were all able to play in a more open or a more compact style.  The wide men might play wide or narrow and if narrow it would be very close to 2 CFs backed by a No 10.
With Sarri too Alonso played FB, a roving FB or a permanently stationed LW.  Hazard, Pedro/Willian or the LM all could take that No 10/top of D position or rotate the role.  Luiz could push forward as a second playmaker, Pedro/Willian might be CF2 or CM4 according to need.

You really don't need to change the written down formation to change the style and purpose of play.

Leo91   

Conte played pretty much the same team week in week out. And Sarri was stubborn as anything until the turn of the year.

8 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Conte played pretty much the same team week in week out. And Sarri was stubborn as anything until the turn of the year.

You are talking team list.  There was plenty of variation in play during games. Sarri stuck to the same written pattern right to the end, not just turn of year.  But that doesn't mean either were trying to defend a 1-0 lead for every moment of every game.