• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

Chelsea will use £4million of the £7m Sarri compensation to free Lampard from his Derby contract.

He will bring in trusted lieutenant Jody Morris as assistant. He is also talking to Drogba about a role as striker coach and wants Shay Given from Derby as goalkeeper coach.

But there is no place for his former skipper John Terry — coach at promoted Aston Villa — in Chelsea’s new set-up.

Lampard, 40, is understood to have held talks with owner Roman Abramovich before agreeing to take the job.

But he has to resolve the issue over Sarri’s No 2 Gianfranco Zola. The Italian has told friends he will not accept a demotion.

Ham   

Given the direction we've started heading in it has to be Ten Haag even though Super NES at Wolves is working miracles. 

^^^^^^^%

From what I've been reading, it would seem that Chelsea would prefer to wait until Frank has more experience. I wish I could  eavesdrop when Marina  speaks to Roman  right now!

xCELERYx   

The whole "more experience" thing is a bit of a cop out. There will never be a perfect moment in which Lampard arrives, be that in 2, 5 or 10 years time. The inevitable doesn't alter based on the level of experience. The more important aspect is finding the right fit for the current environment. Right now, a combination of Lampard and Morris brings with it a excessive knowledge of the club, its youth setup and a familiarity with the majority of young players who are on the possible cusp of the team. In a situation where we've lost Hazard and have a transfer ban, now is as good as a time as any to have Lampard (and Morris) on board. 

What's gone completely under the radar is Morris' input tactically. He played a big role in our successful youth sides and often saw tactical flexibility - generally in the form of modelling the side around the system the first team were using at the time. We've seen at Derby how Lampard has switched his systems, adapted to match environments and still been able to get a young inexperienced side to play decent football with a fighting attitude. Jody Morris will have had a significant influence in this sort of thing. 

I don't care if we finish outside of the top 6. I'm actually looking forward to the prospect of having Frank and Jody return, the possibility of seeing genuine trust being put in some of our younger lads and simply having a bit of hunger and enthusiasm injected back into the team. 

• Like 1

Rob B   

^ Yep this.

I think the other big reason why I’d like it to be now, is that if for whatever reason* Frank has a poor season at Derby and is sacked, he loses his momentum as a manager and might never get the opportunity again.

Someone yesterday on Talksport made the point about Steve Bruce continuously being primed for the United job, but it never happened because he didn’t do well enough...

*But these reasons don’t necessarily imply that Frank’s a poor manager, it could be his best player gets sold because Derby need the money or his new star striker gets injured etc - there is also a lot of luck and timing with success,  and some bad luck or misfortune along the way, could rule him out forever 

Holymoly   
4 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

The whole "more experience" thing is a bit of a cop out. There will never be a perfect moment in which Lampard arrives, be that in 2, 5 or 10 years time. The inevitable doesn't alter based on the level of experience. The more important aspect is finding the right fit for the current environment. Right now, a combination of Lampard and Morris brings with it a excessive knowledge of the club, its youth setup and a familiarity with the majority of young players who are on the possible cusp of the team. In a situation where we've lost Hazard and have a transfer ban, now is as good as a time as any to have Lampard (and Morris) on board. 

What's gone completely under the radar is Morris' input tactically. He played a big role in our successful youth sides and often saw tactical flexibility - generally in the form of modelling the side around the system the first team were using at the time. We've seen at Derby how Lampard has switched his systems, adapted to match environments and still been able to get a young inexperienced side to play decent football with a fighting attitude. Jody Morris will have had a significant influence in this sort of thing. 

I don't care if we finish outside of the top 6. I'm actually looking forward to the prospect of having Frank and Jody return, the possibility of seeing genuine trust being put in some of our younger lads and simply having a bit of hunger and enthusiasm injected back into the team. 

I agree with what you say but Chelsea have to finish at least top 6 otherwise there's a chance FFP will raise its ugly head again.

I think the time has come when Roman and the club have to grasp the nettle and make use of the wealth of skills they have available in Lampard, Terry, Cech, Drogba, Holland and Morris before their connections begin to deteriorate. While someone like Pep could probably develop an understanding with the squad including the youth players over time Frank has that connection now. Frank has the advantage over the other options of having the connection with the club and players now. Give it another 3 to 5 years and that advantage won't be there, he will be just another manager coming in cold.

Chelsea flourished when it had the continuity in its players. Maybe the next stage of evolution is for that continuity to be in the management structure. Frank's an intelligent guy. If he thought this was too big a gig he wouldn't take it. He would have the support of the fans even if they lost but were developing the kids. We lose the plot with managers when they insist on playing gnarly old vets even when its obvious they aren't giving it for the club. I'm pretty sure Frank wouldn't lapse into that mistake.

Give him the opportunity and your backing.

Let’s have Pete as DOF, Lampard, Morris, Drogba, Makelele and Cudicini as coaches and bring back the joy! They might fail, but it will take us back to our (Ambramovich era) roots. It will at least resolve the motivational and tactical flexibility issues - and I’m not just talking about the fans.