• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

paulw66   
Just now, Sir said:

If Lampard had no Chelsea affiliation, and we were being linked with him as we are, would we genuinely really be an advocate of him for the position? Really? It would an utterly ridiculous appointment. I can’t imagine anyone putting his name forward for the Chelsea job had he not have that surname. He doesn’t warrant this job, perhaps one day, but certainly not now. It’s just far too soon.

Of course, this is true. 

Leo91   

I wouldn't be surprised if its Javi Gracia

9 minutes ago, Sir said:

If Lampard had no Chelsea affiliation, and we were being linked with him as we are, would we genuinely really be an advocate of him for the position? Really? It would an utterly ridiculous appointment. I can’t imagine anyone putting his name forward for the Chelsea job had he not have that surname. He doesn’t warrant this job, perhaps one day, but certainly not now. It’s just far too soon.

But he does, he has a big link. That and having had the possibility to see some loanees in action and perhaps remember other form his time at the club makes him probably the best suited should (and I dont think it will) the window not open for us. We have long cried for youth to have a chance and Lamps can be that man

Sir   
20 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

But he does, he has a big link. That and having had the possibility to see some loanees in action and perhaps remember other form his time at the club makes him probably the best suited should (and I dont think it will) the window not open for us. We have long cried for youth to have a chance and Lamps can be that man

All well and good as long as you get the results. It’s a results business. Loftus is up for it, but I still have doubts over Odoi and Abraham at this level. Youth have to be good enough. No youth in a long time got such opportunities like Loftus and Odoi did, and that was down to Sarri. We did fantastic to get in the CL, so we’re just gonna waste it next season and start all over, then. Can’t be doing with sentiment.

BlueFizz   
45 minutes ago, Sir said:

But he does have that ‘affiliation’ and with it comes: a knowledge of how the club works, the people behind the scenes, via Jody Morris the talent pipeline, a unique connection with the punters...

Limited professional coaching experience agreed, but he is probably smart enough to know what he doesn’t know and compensate by bringing that talent into his team. 

Even the top coaches are the focal point of  large, multi-skilled teams these days: Frank needs zero knowledge of medicine or fitness (handled by others) or talent spotting/squad additions (done collectively since Roman arrived + we’re currently banned). His focus will be training (with a small army of assistants), team Selection (with his core team to advise) and in-play tactics, motivation and changes (again with pitchside advisers to bounce off). I rarely see the likes of Klopp, Poch or Pep make changes without huddling with other coaches.

It’s a risk as any choice would be - but I think CFC will know this and if he comes, build a support network. 

24 minutes ago, Sir said:

All well and good as long as you get the results. It’s a results business. Loftus is up for it, but I still have doubts over Odoi and Abraham at this level. Youth have to be good enough. No youth in a long time got such opportunities like Loftus and Odoi did, and that was down to Sarri. We did fantastic to get in the CL, so we’re just gonna waste it next season and start all over, then. Can’t be doing with sentiment.

We could as is Romans way bring in some expensive big name who would undoubtedly fail without the possibility to buy some players and without knowledge of the prem and of our squad and players on loan. For me he is in the best position, we have lost Eden and if Sarri comes back and takes Emerson and Jorg, if Kante is also allowed to leave a new manager wont have much to work with.

For the record I am also in doubt abour Odoi, he has done well in cameos but we need more. RLC is a starter and future captain for me

5 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Was there a single person who thought a title challenge was possible? There was no way in hell we were going to get close to the 98 points that City got (100 the year before) without a top class striker (among other things) and with a coach who was barely given a pre season. 

The "risk" paid off  - his remit was to get us back into the CL, which he achieved and won a european trophy into the bargain, whilst also being a bit unfortunate not to win the LC. 

Lift player morale - check (Cahill aside). A lot of the players have spoken about being much happier that we were playing with the ball, rather than the rope-a-dope tactics of the season before. Don't confuse player and fan morale. 

Keep Hazard interested in staying?  was never going to happen.he has been fairly open with his desire to play for RM. It was going to happen regardless and you can't pin that on Sarri. Perhaps you can point towards the shocking recuitment that was done at the end of 2016/17 that has left us with a squad that is unbalanced and aging. 

Quite. 

6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

1. First point: what exactly did we have to judge Sarri on? 

2. The big question is, how would he perform with a team of  top grade players together

1. Have a look at the Serie A table for the three years he managed Napoli. With a bit of background info on the league you’ve got all the info you need to understand what he can do. 

2. Even if we do hire Lampard I think you’d have to wait a few years to find out the answer to that question 🤣 We are a long way off from a team of top grade players. 

4 hours ago, BlueFizz said:

I'm backing Frank.

I have doubts about his readiness, but I think lack of experience can be balanced out by placing one or two wise heads around him.

And I think this lack of experience is balanced off by the strengths - instant connection with fans (we might even shout a bit at home), knows the club, the language, the media, has played the game with us at the very highest level.

Of course it's a risk - any other alternative would be a risk (albeit not the same mixture of risks).

So, to repeat, for these reasons, and mostly because I go to Chelsea to be excited, entertained and part of something bigger,  I'm backing Frank.

I call on you all to set caution and a degree of logic to the winds and enjoy the ride!

I’m backing Frank. There’s no Chelsea player or manager I feel stronger about than him. That’s also why I feel very nervous about this appointment... A legend whose status might be crushed in an instant is not something I want. He doesn’t deserve that. 

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

why? He was offered the biggest job in Italian club football. 

I also don't remember Liverpool fans singing the equivalent of "eff SarriBall" when Liverpool finished 8th. 

I don't blame Sarri for wanting out. Who would want to stay at a club where you are abused by your fans, when there is a brilliant job offer on the table in your home country?

Precisely. 

34 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

No, I said I don't blame him if that was the case. None of us know. For whatever reason(s), he doesn't want to stay.

Maybe the talk about being close to his parents is true, maybe the lure of Juve was too much, maybe he got fed up with the boos..........maybe a combination of all 3. Maybe he didn't feel Roman was desperate to stop him going. 

It matters little now, he has gone. 

It matters a little bit for our own sanity because If the next coach flops we will hear the argument that it was the Chelsea boos boys that forced Sarri out as sure as eggs are eggs. But yes I'm sure there were possibly a mixture of reasons.

The more pertinent question which will be repeated and debated is how did he do while he was here. For me it was an unpleasant journey... we achieved the minimum required with some highly embarrassing results and performances along the way. We were very very fortunate to get there but I'm pleased we did. I have heard comments on this pages like "amazing" and "fantastic season". This is complete fantasy imo.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

No, I said I don't blame him if that was the case. None of us know. For whatever reason(s), he doesn't want to stay.

Maybe the talk about being close to his parents is true, maybe the lure of Juve was too much, maybe he got fed up with the boos..........maybe a combination of all 3. Maybe he didn't feel Roman was desperate to stop him going. 

It matters little now, he has gone. 

There is also rumours that he only came here because he was worried about the fallout moving directly from Napoli who's support loved him to the Juventus side he'd disparaged for two seasons . 

Fallout that has already begun now he's left the smokescreen that was Chelsea FC.

Edited by Mark Kelly

Good news lads and lasses ! Lee Bowyer has walked out of Charlton . Every day another choice presents itself . 

Between , FSW , Wenger and Bowyer for me now that it transpires its too soon for SFL.

Edited by Mark Kelly