• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

bert19   
On 9/23/2019 at 11:43 PM, MikelBlue said:

The key to zonal defending is awareness and control over your zonal assignment or 'space'. The player should dominate their 'area'. Alonso's slow reaction betrays the fact that he wasn't aware of the danger lurking in his zone. His starting position in his zone was wrong and left too much space for Firmino to attack and no way for him to defend the play. Again, the good news is this stuff can be improved on the training ground and in the  film room.

My only concern is that we're a good few games in and there are no signs of that improvement so far. Needs to be sorted quickly or we're going to drop far too many points this season for it not to have a really negative effect on league position. 

On the plus side though, we look so much more together as a group of late.  Seems to be a real collective focus on this being a transition stage that needs to be navigated for a new team to emerge.  I quite like that.  And we seem to be displaying a lot more fight than last season.  6-7 months ago, 2-0 down against a side like Liverpool could well have led to massive capitulation.  Sounds like we didn't allow that to happen and really tried to impose ourselves on the game and opposition.  That's definitely a positive sign. 

• Like 1

Jasonb   

I think Frank will improve defensively, I think at first the priority was scoring now that Hazard had moved on we seem to still have that ability.

Next I think he will work on defence, I do note that Zouma has played in every match this season. That is how bad our defensive injuries have been.

Frank has been handicapped by the limited squad he has inherited, injuries and trying to play more exciting football.

Once the injuries ease together with more focus I think we will do well.

If we think back to last season how would we have fared with no Hazard and Kante restricted to just 2 of 6 matches.

bert19   
On 9/25/2019 at 10:24 AM, Jasonb said:

I think Frank will improve defensively, I think at first the priority was scoring now that Hazard had moved on we seem to still have that ability.

Next I think he will work on defence, I do note that Zouma has played in every match this season. That is how bad our defensive injuries have been.

Frank has been handicapped by the limited squad he has inherited, injuries and trying to play more exciting football.

Once the injuries ease together with more focus I think we will do well.

If we think back to last season how would we have fared with no Hazard and Kante restricted to just 2 of 6 matches.

Yes, agreed, I don't think that would bare thinking about.  We'd have been stuffed.  

I think we'll get there, I'd just personally like to see a bit more urgency about getting the defensive stuff together.  The ability to keep clean sheets would come in very handy at the moment.  

Liked a lot of what I saw last night though.  Reece looks very promising and I thought Gilmour had an excellent game.  I also liked our response to their goal - push forward and look to score more.  The last twenty minutes saw a nice change in approach too, instead of sitting on 3-1 or 4-1, the players pushed on to add to the tally.  I think we've neglected the chance to do that at times in the recent past, so it was nice to see. 

Biggest problem we have defending set pieces in Kepa. The boy really needs to start coming off his line and attempting to catch/punch balls. His staying on his line all the time is the single biggest issue. 

Jasonb   
3 hours ago, King Kante said:

Biggest problem we have defending set pieces in Kepa. The boy really needs to start coming off his line and attempting to catch/punch balls. His staying on his line all the time is the single biggest issue. 

Fair point.

paulw66   
4 hours ago, King Kante said:

So it's his fault we leave attackers unmarked from 6 yards out?

On 26/09/2019 at 7:36 PM, paulw66 said:

So it's his fault we leave attackers unmarked from 6 yards out?

For the Leicester and Liverpool goals TC would have come out and caught those balls. Defending is an issue but Kepa needs to do his part because at the moment he is not doing it. Our failings at set pieces directly coincide with his arrival. 

paulw66   
Just now, King Kante said:

For the Leicester and Liverpool goals TC would have come out and caught those balls. Defending is an issue but Kepa needs to do his part because at the moment he is not doing it. Our failings at set pieces directly coincide with his arrival. 

No chance. Delivery too flat and too fast on both.

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

No chance. Delivery too flat and too fast on both.

I meant to say delt rather than caught and yes he would have. TC was excellent at that part of the game. Kepa wipes the floor with him at stop stopping but his (Kepa's) positioning and approach to set pieces is very poor.