• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

On 26/09/2019 at 4:12 PM, King Kante said:

Biggest problem we have defending set pieces in Kepa. The boy really needs to start coming off his line and attempting to catch/punch balls. His staying on his line all the time is the single biggest issue. 

I called this when he first came, I thought he was terrified to leave the safety of his 6yd box, then he started to improve. defenders need modern keeps to cover the whole of their box so I am disappointed if he has regressed back to his line.

33 minutes ago, bONes said:

Amazing analysis on out set places:

https://youtu.be/opH9-Jn96Xo

Very good analysis.  No idea what the point of all the silly music and arty intros were - but maybe I'm just an old fogey.

Simply, they say we don't set up zonal very well, and the players lose concentration.

I'd add 2 things, there have been some terrific crosses going in, which dip at the last moment.  If they dip between our players rather than onto the head of one, those crosses will be hard for anyone to defend.
And even with zonal we seem to be blocked very often (shown 3 times in the clips).  Surely our players should just go down when blocked, instead of manfully doing their best.  VAR is there to help other clubs, we might just get a tame VAR official once in a while.

(and when are we going to put some decent crosses in from set-pieces)

Edited by Droy was my hero

kev61   
7 hours ago, bONes said:

Amazing analysis on out set places:

https://youtu.be/opH9-Jn96Xo

Unfortunately nothing amazing about it, it's just common sense - Zonal marking was invented by someone that has never played the game, it makes  no sense - what it does do is leave the defence in disarray and a opposition player hovering over the 18 hard box with a free shot on goal.

paulw66   
12 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Very good analysis.  No idea what the point of all the silly music and arty intros were - but maybe I'm just an old fogey.

Simply, they say we don't set up zonal very well, and the players lose concentration.

I'd add 2 things, there have been some terrific crosses going in, which dip at the last moment.  If they dip between our players rather than onto the head of one, those crosses will be hard for anyone to defend.
And even with zonal we seem to be blocked very often (shown 3 times in the clips).  Surely our players should just go down when blocked, instead of manfully doing their best.  VAR is there to help other clubs, we might just get a tame VAR official once in a while.

(and when are we going to put some decent crosses in from set-pieces)

In response to the bolded bits:

1.....well, possibly! (although I agree)

2. I think it also removes responsibility / accountability. In man marking, if your man scores, it is your fault. Zonal, you can always pass the buck

3. They need to land at the right people. Tammy scored from a great Alonso cross at Wolves. Barkley got on the end of an Alonso cross on saturday and gently passed it to their GK. 

6 hours ago, kev61 said:

Unfortunately nothing amazing about it, it's just common sense - Zonal marking was invented by someone that has never played the game, it makes  no sense - what it does do is leave the defence in disarray and a opposition player hovering over the 18 hard box with a free shot on goal.

I presume it’s popularity is down to two points.

1. Less contact allowed in the modern game meaning more chance of giving away fouls by man 2 man marking (though refs don’t pull this up as much as it goes on)

2. At the highest level these days, players are becoming used to less physical contact in the game, which in turn can lead to a smaller more technical player who would be useless at man 2 man marking.

Personally, I was quite happy playing zonal marking when I played it at a very low level. I’m about 5ft 10in and I found it helped me in defending set pieces as opposed to man 2 man against someone 6ft plus. The downside is the opposition can get a run on you coming into your area. That’s it biggest flaw as a system, if you have an opponent who is going to have an area of 5 yards to run and jump in an attacking sense, compared to the defender stood still in a zone then it’s always going to be difficult to defend unless the defender of significant size. Having said that , Alonso is about 6ft 1in and even he is getting beat to the ball in zonal areas.

I believe it can work well, but players need to be proactive and on the front foot when defending their zone, rather than proactively waiting for a scenario to occur in their zone.

1 hour ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

1. Less contact allowed in the modern game meaning more chance of giving away fouls by man 2 man marking (though refs don’t pull this up as much as it goes on)

Grimsby for example.

Jasonb   
On 30/09/2019 at 11:04 AM, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Personally, I was quite happy playing zonal marking when I played it at a very low level. I’m about 5ft 10in and I found it helped me in defending set pieces as opposed to man 2 man against someone 6ft plus. The downside is the opposition can get a run on you coming into your area. That’s it biggest flaw as a system, if you have an opponent who is going to have an area of 5 yards to run and jump in an attacking sense, compared to the defender stood still in a zone then it’s always going to be difficult to defend unless the defender of significant size. Having said that , Alonso is about 6ft 1in and even he is getting beat to the ball in zonal areas.

I'm no defensive guru and agree with a lot of your points.

Thinking back I thought the runner from the edge of the box was always favourite to score if they timed their run correctly even before zonal marking.

I think the problem or at least one of the problems is the zonal marking makes the defenders static, defending just a zone and if a cross falls between zones you get someone like Alonso jumping diagonally rather than just vertically as he has stayed in his zone rather than compensating for the flight of the ball. The attacker has moved towards the ball and Alonso has been wrong footed as he thought Christensen was going to get it and then reacts too late as the ball falls between them. In the old system you would be holding your attacker thus knowing when he was making a move and shadowed him.

This must be a conundrum for Frank as with defensive injuries, a keeper that stays on his line and a lack these days of defensive giants (no Matic, Bakayoko etc.) the odds of successfully defending set-pieces is harder.

It will be interesting to see how he tweaks it.

1 hour ago, Jasonb said:

and a lack these days of defensive giants (no Matic, Bakayoko etc.)

Bakayoko yes.  But Matic was never given m4m defensive duties.   The odd thing about him was he was rubbish in the air despite his height and physicality.