• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

paulw66   
14 minutes ago, Liverlad said:

Is Tomori going to get back in the starting xi or do I need to axe him from my Fantasy Football team?

If you have a Chelsea defender in your fantasy team, you need to have a word with yourself. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Some things of note that have been festering over the weekend

1. Us and Norwich are the only two teams to have zero points from losing positions in the league this season. When we concede first we lose. Points to a lack of charcater from the players and or poor in game management from Lampard. 

Agree. SFL had trouble with this last season also. However, I have I think CM is the main issue atm with this as they offer no resistance to the counter attack. For me, we really need to buy a more physical CM/DM that is going to break up play for us. The CB's have been discussed to death and also need sorting. 

2. Our reluctance to make any sort of tackle is really holding us back. As I pointed out in another thread, our recent 3 defeats have yielded zero yellow cards and against West Ham, quite incredibly, zero fouls. 

Agree. It is ludicrous. 

3. We keep chopping and changing the defence, as obviously we dont know what the best 4 is....... I think I would rather we stuck to a 4 and gave them a run of games and see what happens. The constant change of personnel isn't working. 

Agree.

4. Zouma is too clumsy and AC is too weak for either to be first choice at a club which has our ambitions. AC has really regressed since playing in a 3 under Conte. 

Agree. However, with Zouma at least we probably can still pull in a decent fee from Everton so if we can find a CB, he will not be here much longer I think. AC is looking like he will also need to improve quickly or move too. 

5. We have tried 3 different left backs in the last month. Again, I think I would rather we backed one and gave them a run. Personally I think it has to be Emerson. 

Emerson is an ok player. I'd rather him on the left than Dave atm but he probably needs to be replaced and/or made the LB2. 

6. With Pedro out of favour, and CHO not adding anything, our lack of options in attack is hurting us in terms of being able to change a game (see point 1). The drop down from Tammy to the next CF is also too big. 

CHO got his contract on pure hype. However, he did have a bad injury. For me the jury is out on him atm. Hopefully he comes good but lets hope he starts improving soon. 

7. When we win a corner, we may as well save time and just give them the ball back. It was the same last year, none of our defenders are a threat. Long gone are the days when JT, Ivanovic or even Cahill would bail us out of a poor performance by coming up with an important headed goal. We had 5 corners on Saturday, and at least 3 were the perfect trajectory, far enough away from the GK, over the first man and head high in between the posts........we didn't get near any of them. 

Agree. A new CB is absolutely vital. Romagnoli would be my personal choice but he is very hard to get. Only thing we can hope this season is that Rudi can come back and stay fit. 

8. Why are so sh*t at this time of year, every year? 

Good question. 

9. January could be interesting.... Centre back has to be a priority, then forwards, hopefully 2 of them. 

I think a CB of the right quality is impossible in Jan. Only one may be KK as Napoli are in meltdown but he would be hideously expensive and would be a sunk cost due to his age. I just do not see the club doing it. 

Personally, I think there is something in the SMS links, I think he is the type of player we need in midfield as he is a CM that can both play and be physical. Questions over his ability to play in the PL and his cost loom large though. 

In forward positions. Only players I see as possible are Zaha, Werner and Haaland (the last two due to their buyouts.) I would avoid Zaha but would love the latter two but they will have their pick of clubs. 

Good points

Some things of note that have been festering over the weekend

1. Us and Norwich are the only two teams to have zero points from losing positions in the league this season. When we concede first we lose. Points to a lack of charcater from the players and or poor in game management from Lampard. 
Yes- but we also concede a lot when we score first.  Some of it is fitness for sure.  A lot of it is the high risk football we play from minute 1.  If it works it looks great.  If it fails it looks appalling.  The very opposite to say Allardyce football, which always looks drab but at least keeps them in the game for the 90.

2. Our reluctance to make any sort of tackle is really holding us back. As I pointed out in another thread, our recent 3 defeats have yielded zero yellow cards and against West Ham, quite incredibly, zero fouls. 
Yes.  We are scared of refs - no idea why.

3. We keep chopping and changing the defence, as obviously we dont know what the best 4 is....... I think I would rather we stuck to a 4 and gave them a run of games and see what happens. The constant change of personnel isn't working. 
True.  But then if the defence consistently doesn't work, it is hard to justify keeping it too.  Plenty here are arguing for change now - including you in point 4.
The best 4 is Rudiger and 3 others, preferably including 2 new summer purchases + I'd like to hope James and Tomori in 2 years time.  

4. Zouma is too clumsy and AC is too weak for either to be first choice at a club which has our ambitions. AC has really regressed since playing in a 3 under Conte. 
I recall someone arguing a season or so ago that Chelsea had to play 3 at back because none of our defenders could play in a two.  True in a way, but it really mean we needed better defenders.  

5. We have tried 3 different left backs in the last month. Again, I think I would rather we backed one and gave them a run. Personally I think it has to be Emerson. 

6. With Pedro out of favour, and CHO not adding anything, our lack of options in attack is hurting us in terms of being able to change a game (see point 1). The drop down from Tammy to the next CF is also too big. 
To win stuff this year - sure, but is that the aim?.  To win stuff in 2021 or 2022 we have a lot of opportunity to buy new players.  The one thing that can be said is that if this team is in re-build mode, we have plenty of space to add real talent.  Back in 2013/14 we had to get rid of an incredible amount of talent and experience from Cole, Cech and Lampard to KdB, Lukaku and Salah.  That was because we still maintained some real talent and had brought in so many players over 2011-14.  People are still complaining about that 13/14 clearout to this day.
This year we have Rudiger, Kante, Jorginho, plus Mount, Tammy and Pulisic who are nearly there, and everyone else is replaceable.

7. When we win a corner, we may as well save time and just give them the ball back. It was the same last year, none of our defenders are a threat. Long gone are the days when JT, Ivanovic or even Cahill would bail us out of a poor performance by coming up with an important headed goal. We had 5 corners on Saturday, and at least 3 were the perfect trajectory, far enough away from the GK, over the first man and head high in between the posts........we didn't get near any of them. 

Not planned. Frank hasn't got round to corners in training yet.  Not sure Sarri ever did.  Every couple of seasons we go through 10 games or so where there are two big guys taking great curving runs to exactly where the ball is going to drop, and another who starts there and makes a decoy run away to clear space.  After a few games we forget about this, and the guy taking the corner looks up to see who is waving at him, but usually just plays it short to Hazard...   Been going on like this for 5 years or so.

8. Why are so sh*t at this time of year, every year? 
We play a lot of games but haven't reached the kind of momentum it takes to push through the games when tired.  Plus most of our PL oppo have had the whole week to prepare for our game, we have had 3 days.  They know who is fit, who will start for them and can prepare them to take advantage of our weaknesses (and we have several).

9. January could be interesting.... Centre back has to be a priority, then forwards, hopefully 2 of them. 
There is little point in patching up this season.  Planning for the next two is all that counts - Summer will be key.

Frank has my whole support. He is doing the right thing. My only concern is that he talks about not scoring more chances and the need to improve in attack but never speaks about preventing goals and the need to defend better.

Seems to me we know we are going to concede in every game and the only solution he sees is to score more. We need to do something, particularly with Zouma and maybe Kepa needs to be advised to stop trying to be so clever with the ball.

9 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

Frank has my whole support. He is doing the right thing. My only concern is that he talks about not scoring more chances and the need to improve in attack but never speaks about preventing goals and the need to defend better.

Seems to me we know we are going to concede in every game and the only solution he sees is to score more. We need to do something, particularly with Zouma and maybe Kepa needs to be advised to stop trying to be so clever with the ball.

I think he spoke recently about having to "man up" and not shirk the physical side of the game , last night both Zouma and Rudi went in hard on a couple of occasions which in my eyes was brilliant to see , although in fairness two red cards and lifetime bans if the PGMOL got involved .

14 hours ago, exiledblue said:

He seems like a really intelligent guy and that he knows that this whole thing is a bit of a process. He has already shown that he is searching for the right combination at the back by constantly changing things. 

I think he knows what we all know as well which is that we need improvement at the fullback positions and the centre of the defence. 

Its going to be interesting to see how his backline looks after these 2 transfer windows coming up have passed.

bert19   
22 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think he spoke recently about having to "man up" and not shirk the physical side of the game , last night both Zouma and Rudi went in hard on a couple of occasions which in my eyes was brilliant to see , although in fairness two red cards and lifetime bans if the PGMOL got involved .

Not necessarily the right thread for it, but I was so pleased to see Rudiger back in the team on Tuesday night.  

paulw66   
26 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Not necessarily the right thread for it, but I was so pleased to see Rudiger back in the team on Tuesday night.  

Indeed. There is a fair amount of pressure on him now as everyone expects him to solve all our problems! 

JaneB   
On 12/12/2019 at 10:32 AM, paulw66 said:

Indeed. There is a fair amount of pressure on him now as everyone expects him to solve all our problems! 

He should solve our captaincy problem which is ongoing I think.

paulw66   

Still can't keep clean sheets

Now we have stopped scoring too

Now we have a couple of tricky away games to deal with