• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

4 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Paul, I think I lost you at hello. I'm sure you can keep up but sometimes you just choose not to. 

You tell me roughly the time when you think Hazard made his final decision to leave and I'll tell you mine. I've already told you in my post so maybe just read it again.Incredibly I don't think we will because far apart on that date

Then maybe find me someone who thinks he left it until this May before he let Madrid know he was interested.

Jeez.

He made his mind up at the very least after last season. 

There’s no way they sort out a potential £130m transfer in less than a week is it? Hazard to Real has done the rounds for years but you choose to believe it’s Sarri’s fault? Think about it, it’s a ridiculous notion . 

paulw66   
9 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Paul, I think I lost you at hello. I'm sure you can keep up but sometimes you just choose not to. 

You tell me roughly the time when you think Hazard made his final decision to leave and I'll tell you mine. I've already told you in my post so maybe just read it again.Incredibly I don't think we will because far apart on that date

Then maybe find me someone who thinks he left it until this May before he let Madrid know he was interested.

Jeez.

He was going to go to RM regardless IMO

And to blame Sarri for losing him as he isn't a "euroa league player" is odd, as it wasn't Sarri who put us there. 

paulw66   
8 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

You can add as many as you like but how many of those players were head hunted by a big money by a team like Bayern Munich for 40m? And  an 18 year old at that, who can't even make the bench in the prem, and as you quite rightly said was only allowed to stretch his legs against a bunch of lowly no hoper teams.  It almost beggars belief. Perhaps they ( and it seems the rest of the football world) saw in him something that you , Droy and Sarri didn't. 

Or maybe the Bayern thing was all media gossip too?

It doesn't beggar belief. Places in the team need to be earned. Sarri obviously felt the other choices were better at this moment in time. 

paulw66   
7 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

But it is a bit tricky making an impression against a 'proper team' when you're not actually picked to play against them. Is that not a fair point?

He played against Spurs, City and Liverpool and did very little at all.

Against Championship standard teams (and I include the EL opponents he played against, and Brighton who were/are awful) he did ok. Did that warrant playing ahead of Willian, Pedro, Hazard? Not for me. 

paulw66   
6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Against proper teams?  

Got any stats on that? And also got any comparison s on how good those youth team players were  compared with our current bunch? 

The fact remains RLC and CHO played far more minutes this season than any youth product that came through post Ranieri.

Conte for example loaned RLC to Palace whilst we spent £75m on Baka and DD. We have bought about half a dozen left backs since Jose sold Bertrand to Southampton (none of whom are much of an upgrade, if at all). 

As for the stats..........please name one youth product that has come through post Roman and has played more. 

23 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

The fact remains RLC and CHO played far more minutes this season than any youth product that came through post Ranieri.

Conte for example loaned RLC to Palace whilst we spent £75m on Baka and DD. We have bought about half a dozen left backs since Jose sold Bertrand to Southampton (none of whom are much of an upgrade, if at all). 

As for the stats..........please name one youth product that has come through post Roman and has played more. 

What about the influence of the board then ? Monday Madonna , Tuesday Maradona ? He was leaned on .

paulw66   
21 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

What about the influence of the board then ? Monday Madonna , Tuesday Maradona ? He was leaned on .

Ok.

He doesn't play the youth - he's a stubborn old fool with no plan B 

He plays the youth - he was told to.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Ok.

He doesn't play the youth - he's a stubborn old fool with no plan B 

He plays the youth - he was told to.

Serious debate , do you really think he wasn't leaned on then ? It just strikes me as odd .

To be honest the swing away from Sarriball to a more pragmatic approach as we saw the season out , has the hand of the players all over it as well , it may be that he decided that he couldn't continue with the way things are going with the playing staff he had at his disposal but the " I can train this way of football very well , why would I change to another type of football " quotation doesn't point to him changing of his own volition either, and we all know what the players are like .....

paulw66   
7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Serious debate , do you really think he wasn't leaned on then ? It just strikes me as odd .

Unless someone provides some sort of evidence to support it, then I have no reason to believe it.

CHO was 17 at the start of the season. Talented but incredibly raw (still is). Sarri has a strong tactical belief in the way his teams play, and he often said that CHO needed to improve on the tactical side of his game before he would be a regular starter. The way I see it, he eased him in slowly, which is often the way. 

Similar with RLC. I presume Sarri knew little about him before he joined, but he forced his way into the team by being better than Barkely and Kovacic when he got the chance to play. his back problem obviously didn't help him either. 

There isn't much that happened that I would consider "odd"

Equally, why would the board lean on him to play the youth, when they (Roman) haven't for the last 15 years. That would be odd

Edited by paulw66

bert19   
6 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

He made his mind up at the very least after last season. 

There’s no way they sort out a potential £130m transfer in less than a week is it? Hazard to Real has done the rounds for years but you choose to believe it’s Sarri’s fault? Think about it, it’s a ridiculous notion . 

Agreed.  Actually, from the source I heard from (which I do believe to be reliable) it's more likely Conte's fault than Sarri's. 

43 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

To be honest the swing away from Sarriball to a more pragmatic approach as we saw the season out , has the hand of the players all over it as well , it may be that he decided that he couldn't continue with the way things are going with the playing staff he had at his disposal but the " I can train this way of football very well , why would I change to another type of football " quotation doesn't point to him changing of his own volition either, and we all know what the players are like .....

It's quite interesting that if it was the players influence, Sarri's had nearly 30 years working with a very distinct philosophy and playing style and he finally won his first major honour when his players adapted it to a more pragmatic approach.  

Pure speculation that it was them choosing to play a different way when the tactics hadn't been working, but if it's true, not sure it reflects too well on him as a Manager.