• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

xCELERYx   
2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

The fact remains RLC and CHO played far more minutes this season than any youth product that came through post Ranieri.

Conte for example loaned RLC to Palace whilst we spent £75m on Baka and DD. We have bought about half a dozen left backs since Jose sold Bertrand to Southampton (none of whom are much of an upgrade, if at all). 

As for the stats..........please name one youth product that has come through post Roman and has played more. 

RLC turned 23 years old and only just got a true taste of senior football last season at Palace. That loan move was crucial in his development and turning him into a more viable first team option. Sarri had the most developed version to utilise, so naturally it's no shock he played more than he did under prior management when younger and less experienced. 

Christensen also 23, was virtually resigned to a place on the bench and cup games against largely poor opposition (until the semi and final of the Europa League). It took Rudiger getting injured before he had any real contribution in the league. A backwards season overall considering he had 20 odd PL starts alone last season. 

Ampadu barely got a look in at all. A handful of cup appearances was the best he was afforded. A drop in standings given the impression he made last year. 

CHO was a spectator in the league until Bayern made noise and talk of a new contract stalled. Prior to that he was also living off cup appearances and a run in the Europa 'B Team' that Sarri was sending out. Sarri effectively ruled him out of the PL team and then had to later backtrack. 

Not exactly glowing report you're trying to paint. 

11 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

You can add as many as you like but how many of those players were head hunted by a big money by a team like Bayern Munich for 40m?

None - and neither was CHO.  Whatever his brother might pretend.

22 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Personally, am absolutely yet to be coninced. Did well against awful opponents, and was annonymous against proper teams. Certainly did nothing to warrant starting ahead of Pedro, Willian or Hazard IMO 

You are being too kind.  He was frequently anonymous against awful opponents too.
Which is neither a major criticism of a 17/18 yo, nor a reason to get starts in the Prem.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Ok.

He doesn't play the youth - he's a stubborn old fool with no plan B 

He plays the youth - he was told to.

Quite.  Alternatively Sarri was a dreadful manager who was always going to be sacked in the morning by the board.

Or Sarri was a great manager and the first at  Chelsea since Hoddle to have been headhunted by a bigger, richer club while still employed (costs of removal - an income of £5m!!)

If you believe the first you 2 alternative are natural follow ons.  
If one acknowledges the second, one has to acknowledge an awful lot of BS has been spoken last season.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Serious debate , do you really think he wasn't leaned on then ? It just strikes me as odd .

See above.  Either he was the best thing since sliced bread or he only got picked because the board insisted.
But you can't have it both ways.

28 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Agreed.  Actually, from the source I heard from (which I do believe to be reliable) it's more likely Conte's fault than Sarri's. 

Sounds very plausible.  Certainly it was Conte not Sarri who took us out of the CL.

28 minutes ago, bert19 said:

It's quite interesting that if it was the players influence, Sarri's had nearly 30 years working with a very distinct philosophy and playing style and he finally won his first major honour when his players adapted it to a more pragmatic approach.  

Pure speculation that it was them choosing to play a different way when the tactics hadn't been working, but if it's true, not sure it reflects too well on him as a Manager. 

???  I thought we played closer to Sarriball for the last half dozen games of the season than at any point since the first month.
I can see why people said differently though.

4 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

RLC turned 23 years old and only just got a true taste of senior football last season at Palace.

Stopped reading right there.

3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

See above.  Either he was the best thing since sliced bread or he only got picked because the board insisted.
But you can't have it both ways.

I'm not suggesting he was the best thing since sliced bread , I'm saying Sarri was at pains to stress how he wasn't ready one week , BM came in with a grandstanding offer and weren't out of the papers the next and then suddenly Sarri stated he was ready for the first team . Just like that, ready , after about a week , not ready  -speculation-ready , boom.

7 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

He made his mind up at the very least after last season. 

There’s no way they sort out a potential £130m transfer in less than a week is it? Hazard to Real has done the rounds for years but you choose to believe it’s Sarri’s fault? Think about it, it’s a ridiculous notion

I don't need to think about it, I need you to maybe read my posts a little more carefully ( please)

No, of course they can't sort a transfer of this size out in a week. This is my very point! It's no good securing top four in the last week of the season and then say " it's ok Eden , CL footie  for you next season. Sign your new 5 year deal here" because Hazard had made his decision way before that. I don't know how many times I have to make this point of my argument. I'm saying that he made a JUDGEMENT or a PREDICTION earlier in the season when the club was struggling at a critical time of his career. Sarri even said he knew Hazard was going for a while...I heard him say it with my own ears.

Now it's possible that before we had even kicked a ball this season  he had told  his agent that regardless on how Chelsea performed  this season with the new coach, he was off to Madrid come May. I don't deny it. But I'm  so sure about that. Why didn't he just go after the Conte debacle? We were a mess. No CL football. Would Conte go or stay blablabla.  Madrid wanted him then...perfect opportunity to move. Eden admitted that his mind was in turmoil.  My OPINION is that he loved this club, he enjoyed London life, his family was settled here and he was loyal. He just wanted to have a good look at Sarri and his famous Sarri Ball to see if he was the real deal before he made that massive decision. Another big factor could have been that his great admirer Zidane was back at Madrid this season. And make no mistake , Madrid were now ready to pounce.

Now I course I don't know the exact moment last season that the call was made to Madrid. Maybe mid November, maybe January window time when things started to look shaky. Maybe after the humiliation of shipping 12 goals in 3 games. Maybe when Sarri kept playing him as a false number 9. Maybe when we fell to 7th place. Maybe when the transfer ban looked imminent.  I don't know, but I think it was during the season that the final decision was made. Losing Hazard is a tragedy with the transfer ban looming and I put the blame on the following doorsteps. 

1. The board for poor recruitment and the handling of Conte. Should have sacked him in January. Also for getting us a transfer ban.

2. Conte himself for his dirty protest and unprofessional behaviour. He failed to get too four when it was well within our grasp. 

3. The players for not reaching their  level far too many times.

4. Sarri . Despite grabbing too 4 at the last moment, his season was drab, rudderless.  I dont think Eden was prepared to risk have another with Sarri.

All just my opinion. But which of these notions do you find ridiculas?   

I would also add that despite Hazards alleged long term desire to play for RM , if he currently played for Liverpool he would not, (IMO),  be heading for Real Madrid now . If he was settled in Liverpool as he was settled in London, with friends and family enjoying life here, he would stick with a team on the up, with stop coach capable of winning everything. And that my friend is not us. RM can flutter their eye lashes as much as they want at Salah . What do you think their chances are?  

Edited by NoblyBobly

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

To be honest the swing away from Sarriball to a more pragmatic approach as we saw the season out , has the hand of the players all over it as well , it may be that he decided that he couldn't continue with the way things are going with the playing staff he had at his disposal but the " I can train this way of football very well , why would I change to another type of football " quotation doesn't point to him changing of his own volition either, and we all know what the players are like .....

Would be interested to hear what you think changed Mark. I saw very little difference,  odd tactical tweak aside, from how we started the season to how we ended it.

Unless someone provides some sort of evidence to support it, then I have no reason to believe it.

There isn't any. Its madness to assume the board would lean on a manager to play a boy who started the season as a 17 year old  and had never played mens football who was refusing to sign a new contract, especially when you consider the alternatives. Hazard, who was always going to start pretty much every game when fit, then Willian and Pedro, two players proven at the highest level. Do people really believe the board would put pressure on a manager to play a kid above those three? 

CHO was 17 at the start of the season. Talented but incredibly raw (still is). Sarri has a strong tactical belief in the way his teams play, and he often said that CHO needed to improve on the tactical side of his game before he would be a regular starter. The way I see it, he eased him in slowly, which is often the way. 

Spot on. Sarri handled CHO pretty much perfectly,  he should be applauded for it. In no way shape or form was there anything wrong with how the situation was handled by the manager. It's an absolute myth that he didn't get enough playing time, made up by the media which some fans fell for, much like Kante being played out of position.  Anyone still banging that drum?

paulw66   
49 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

CHO was a spectator in the league until Bayern made noise and talk of a new contract stalled. Prior to that he was also living off cup appearances and a run in the Europa 'B Team' that Sarri was sending out. Sarri effectively ruled him out of the PL team and then had to later backtrack. 

Exactly where he should have been, and still massively ahead of any 17 year we have had in my 30 years of being a fan, and massively ahead of any youth player we have had in the RA era.

paulw66   
4 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

There isn't any. Its madness to assume the board would lean on a manager to play a boy who started the season as a 17 year old  and had never played mens football who was refusing to sign a new contract, especially when you consider the alternatives. Hazard, who was always going to start pretty much every game when fit, then Willian and Pedro, two players proven at the highest level. Do people really believe the board would put pressure on a manager to play a kid above those three? 

when you put it like that, it is quite hilarious to propose otherwise. 

6 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Would be interested to hear what you think changed Mark. I saw very little difference,  odd tactical tweak aside, from how we started the season to how we ended it.

I think we reverted to being quicker to get the ball upfield and were more reliant on counter attacking than we were previously . 

Kante was played out of position just not the position that some people assumed he was played out of !

24 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm not suggesting he was the best thing since sliced bread , I'm saying Sarri was at pains to stress how he wasn't ready one week , BM came in with a grandstanding offer and weren't out of the papers the next and then suddenly Sarri stated he was ready for the first team . Just like that, ready , after about a week , not ready  -speculation-ready , boom.

Mark , Droys not having the BM thing because it's where the Callum " he's not ready" Hudson Odoi argument causes him (and few other)  problems. Their party line is :

BM weren't interested

They never made an offer and If They did ( which they didn't) it was for an insignificant amount

CHO never put in a transfer request 

CHOs brother made the whole thing up and everyone believed it apart from a couple razor sharp minds on here.

What we must conclude is that for 5 months Sarri decided that CHO was not even worth a place on the bench and after an imaginary offer from Bayern is not just off the bench but on the pitch! 

How smoothly and carefully he nurtured the lad.

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

when you put it like that, it is quite hilarious to propose otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Mark , Droys not having the BM thing because it's where the Callum " he's not ready" Hudson Odoi argument causes him (and few other)  problems. Their party line is :

BM weren't interested

They never made an offer and If They did ( which they didn't) it was for an insignificant amount

CHO never put in a transfer request 

CHOs brother made the whole thing up and everyone believed it apart from a couple razor sharp minds on here.

What we must conclude is that for 5 months Sarri decided that CHO was not even worth a place on the bench and after an imaginary offer from Bayern is not just off the bench but on the pitch! 

How smoothly and carefully he nurtured the lad.

Not ready -Bayern-ready , that was the thought process in what felt like about three weeks.

He's not here because "they" don't think he's up to it , I expect there was some high fiving going on the day Juve came calling..