• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

3 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well we can think anything we like but we do need to look at where those thoughts come from.

Indeed, my thoughts come from Eden never denying the fact that it has always been his dream to play for them but it was only this season that they really wanted him and actually made a bid.

We will never know for sure but I think that if they had genuinely wanted him at any other time, like the year we came 10th for example, and were prepared to pay the money he would have left in a heartbeat. 

paulw66   
42 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Certainly. Please name me one that was close to good enough first. 

There are plenty that had the same stellar CV at 17 that CHO has/had

Solanke, Abraham, RLC, McEachren, Chalobah, PvA, Bruma, Baker, Musonda....... I am sure there are others who were part of youth cup winning teams that had international honours all through the ages.

CHO is the first one to have been given significant game time (at such a young age)

Edited by paulw66

17 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

There are plenty that had the same stellar CV at 17 that CHO has/had

Solanke, Abraham, RLC, McEachren, Chalobah, PvA, Bruma, Baker, Musonda....... I am sure there are others who were part of youth cup winning teams that had international honours all through the ages.

CHO is the first one to have been given significant game time (at such a young age)

Everyone always forgets Kakuta ;)

paulw66   
Just now, Martin1905 said:

and Michael Woods and Scott Sinclair!

37 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

and Michael Woods and Scott Sinclair!

I can't help but think you're missing the point somewhat.

It doesn't matter if at seventeen he's the new Graeme Wilkins or the new Lionel Messi .

He categorically , absolutely , definitely wasn't ready for the first team , then BM came calling and suddenly he was , just like magic.

no , no , no , no , yes.

Maybe it was Uber coach Sarri's road to Damascus moment ? 

Maybe a ray of light shone down from heaven and low , he who was once blind can now see.

paulw66   
21 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I can't help but think you're missing the point somewhat.

I

my point above was responding to Sarri being criticised for not playing youth, when all of his predecessors have played them far less. 

I don't beleive for a second CHO played because of BM interest. He started to get games when the EL progression was secured, and then the cup games against championshp sides Forest and Sheffield Wedneday happened. It wasn't like Bayern threw in a bid and all of a sudden he was starting to play PL games. As pointed out, he didn't start a league game until April, so how does that add up to being down to Bayern's interest back in January?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

my point above was responding to Sarri being criticised for not playing youth, when all of his predecessors have played them far less. 

I don't beleive for a second CHO played because of BM interest. He started to get games when the EL progression was secured, and then the cup games against championshp sides Forest and Sheffield Wedneday happened. It wasn't like Bayern threw in a bid and all of a sudden he was starting to play PL games. As pointed out, he didn't start a league game until April, so how does that add up to being down to Bayern's interest back in January?

Paul , explain to me how Sarri can categorically state that CHO is not ready for the first team one moment and days later , after speculation about moving to Munich , he suddenly was not only ready but was "the future of the club" ?

This whole disagreement commenced with praising Sarri for playing the youth , when he had no intention of playing the youth whatsoever until Bayen. Munich came calling and in my opinion "someone" up top explained the necessity to keep CHO sweet. 

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm not suggesting he was the best thing since sliced bread , I'm saying Sarri was at pains to stress how he wasn't ready one week , BM came in with a grandstanding offer and weren't out of the papers the next and then suddenly Sarri stated he was ready for the first team . Just like that, ready , after about a week , not ready  -speculation-ready , boom.

Manager debates whether to pick kid.  Asked the day before he is not picking - he says not ready.  Asked the day before he is picking him he says he is ready.
Why people get so overexcited about about managers contradicting themselves over a series of match previews I'll never know. 

There isn't a single 18 year old who has been ready for a game where a manager did not pick him.  There isn't a single 18 year old who has not been ready for a game where a manager did pick him.  Pre-match words means sweet fa.

(It would be identical for a 28 year old coming back from injury - he is match ready when and only when he gets picked).

3 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

But Droy it was "widely reported". You know, the phrase you often use when an obvious occurrence can't be proved.

You are confusing me with someone else.  I have never given much credit to the  media, and am probably the most sceptical person on here about media.  I don't argue much with bookies, that is all.  Media get paid wrong or right, it costs bookies a lot if they get it wrong.

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

:)

Add  David Lee, Duberry, Maybury,  Myers , John Sparrow, Kitamarilke, Dalla Bona, GJ, Billy Knott, some bloke I never rated called Lassana Diarra.
Stoch, and the probably the best since Wilkins (R), Mikael Forssell.  I'll repeat myself - the star of the last pre-season was not CHO but Bulka.  

The most hyped teenagers ever at Chelsea in my time (1970+) were Wilkins (who to be fair was not bad...) and Tommy Langley.

Meanwhile we could add McEachran, Chalobah, Gallagher and Guehi   (George, Trevor, Conor and Marc), all massive talents not given a chance.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

... categorically , absolutely , definitely wasn't ready for the first team , then BM came calling and suddenly he was , just like magic... 

My recollection is that Sarri described him as not being ready for 'the top' or some other euphemism, and that he did so during the ridiculous Bayern Munich /transfer request media furore, and that he had the bare-faced cheek to not let The Sun pick the team and contentedly left Hudson-Odoi out throughout that brief period. I know you're being facetious to make a point, but what you've said doesn't represent the time line that well. 

Which does not matter even a little, because we're talking about a manager giving the most boring, asinine answers to stupid journalist questions. What's he going to say? I've not picked him because he's not good enough, or I have picked him because everyone else is knackered? The stock that continues to be put in journalist's s misrepresentions of boring answers to leading, provocative questions never ceases to amaze me. 

Anyway, came in here to mention the name Luis Enrique... Suddenly without gainful employment for 'personal' reasons... 

JaneB   
9 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

My recollection is that Sarri described him as not being ready for 'the top' or some other euphemism, and that he did so during the ridiculous Bayern Munich /transfer request media furore, and that he had the bare-faced cheek to not let The Sun pick the team and contentedly left Hudson-Odoi out throughout that brief period. I know you're being facetious to make a point, but what you've said doesn't represent the time line that well. 

Which does not matter even a little, because we're talking about a manager giving the most boring, asinine answers to stupid journalist questions. What's he going to say? I've not picked him because he's not good enough, or I have picked him because everyone else is knackered? The stock that continues to be put in journalist's s misrepresentions of boring answers to leading, provocative questions never ceases to amaze me. 

Anyway, came in here to mention the name Luis Enrique... Suddenly without gainful employment for 'personal' reasons... 

Well yes but I think it is a situation that's been going on for a while. Why would he need to hide behind 'personal' reasons just because Chelsea wanted to talk to him?

Edited by JaneB