• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

1 minute ago, BlueFizz said:

... and meanwhile this post is to discuss who will, won’t and should be our next coach.

I appreciate that several of us are planning to write books, articles or white papers on the minutae of the Sarri era and need to have these debates about his actions - but maybe somewhere else?

Fair point . Time for afternoon tea. 

paulw66   
Just now, NoblyBobly said:

But not extraordinary is my point

Fine me a player in recent histroy for any top 6 club to have played anywhere near that amount at the equivalent age. 

3 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

No no no! Are you saying CHO only got chances against very poor teams and thats where all his minutes came from? What use is that to him?

It's an awful lot of use I'd say.

A 17/18 year old boy having his first taste of mens football, given the chance to prove himself against weaker teams, then earning the right to gradually get more minutes against more meaningful opposition as the season progresses.

Perfect.

I

3 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

... and meanwhile this thread is to discuss who will, won’t and should be our next coach.

I appreciate that several of us are planning to write books, articles or white papers on the minutae of the Sarri era and need to have these debates about his actions - but maybe somewhere else?

Have we got anyone in mind then ?

I'm all for Super Frank Myself , the talk of not being ready is a nonsense , Vialli hadn't any management experience when he was the coach and he won two trophies and got us to third in the league , at least SFL has a seasons experience .

I'd like to see someone come in and get the best out of Alonso ( Maybe 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 again - we certainly missed his goals and set pieces ) Kante , he scored more goals but I think the role didn't suit him well he's better hunting the ball player down , Drinkwater , a better player than given credit for who's been marginalised , Bakayoko , a midfield behemoth by accounts coming out of Italy , Willian , 3 goals , really ?  Be nice not to play that dopey zonal marking too . 

If he works on taking corners , free kicks and throw on's , that'll be a first and a huge leg up towards scoring more too.

I'm enthused .

It'll probably be FSW now.

8 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

A 17/18 year old boy having his first taste of mens football, given the chance to prove himself against weaker teams, then earning the right to gradually get more minutes against more meaningful opposition as the season progresses.

Perfect.

Thanks Herr Hoeness 

paulw66   
3 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

But not extraordinary is my point

By comparison

Gerrard - debuted for Liverpool aged 18. Played 13 times that season

Trent AA - debuted for Liverppol aged 18. Played 12 times.

JT - debut at 17, made 7 appearances all season

Beckham - debut at 17. Made his second United appearance aged 19

Harry Kane - debut at 18, played 6 times that season

The only player I can find who has played more minutes at this age for a top 6 club in the modern era is Michael Owen. 

• Thanks 1

bert19   
2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

The only player I can find who has played more minutes at this age for a top 6 club in the modern era is Michael Owen. 

And his body was shot by the time he was about 24

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

By comparison

Wow! Interesting stats. Hard to believe that little old Josh McEachran had either more, or the same number of debut season starts than Gerrard, Trent AA,  JT,  Beckam or Kane.

It just demonstrates how some Chelsea managers went above and beyond to promote academy youth. 

3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Perfect.

Hang on a minute! You said a few posts ago that he wasn't involved in the League Cup until the semis and only played 90 min twice in the Europa League. You also quoted a stat that he had played a total of 1167 mins last season. I have a stat that says he only played 391 mins in the Prem league last season, so where are you getting the other 776 mins from?

Has he been turning out for Chelsea Ladies or are we still in the Full Members Cup ?

You do though, don't you? 

1167 minutes for a guy who started the season aged 17 is extraordinary. 

It is very good, and as you point out later, not very common for his age. 

3 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Fair point . Time for afternoon tea. 

😃

Fine me a player in recent histroy for any top 6 club to have played anywhere near that amount at the equivalent age. 

Perhaps he wasn’t ready earlier, maybe Sarri had to be sure he fulfilled certain tactical requirements before playing meaningful game time. Anyone who has been involved as a player at a semi-decent level knows what it’s all about. Very,  very few players at 17/early 18 are ready to compete physically and tactically with fully grown men. 

What he’s achieved at a club like Chelsea at his age is actually some of the best news in a long time. Finally we are starting to see some of that academy investment giving us some first team ready players.

Next season we have a few very promising players potentially at our disposal who did see some serious game time at at least Championship level. Trevoh Chalobah (20 in July), James (20 in December),  Mount (20), Abraham (22 in October). Add Ghuehi (19 in July), McEachran (19 in August), Ampadu (19 in September), Hudson-Odoi (19 in November), Mount (20), Christensen (23) and Loftus-Cheek (23) and that is fairly large HG/academy pool to draw from for a 25 man squad. It could certainly be intriguing to see what Lampard could do with a large group of youngsters spiced up with some top names next summer. For 20/21 (in a 4231);

GK: Arrizabalaga 

RB: Azpilicueta, James

CB: Rudiger, Christensen, Zouma, Tomori

LB: Emerson, DaSilva

CM: Kante, Jorginho, CM (top quality), Ampadu, Chalobah

AM: Pulisic, Willian, Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Loftus-Cheek, Barkley, AM (top quality)

S: S (top quality), Abraham

That would be a good base to start building from. 3 top signings and we are on our way. If we can give the next manager some time to build something long-term and add only top quality signings I think we could be something from 2022. 

By comparison

18 minutes ago, bert19 said:

And his body was shot by the time he was about 24

Very, very good points by you both. I wonder if Hudson-Odoi was overplayed/over-trained? Not seen over the full season but very back-loaded in terms of his minutes. Perhaps his body wasn’t ready for that stress?