• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

39 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Hang on a minute! You said a few posts ago that he wasn't involved in the League Cup until the semis and only played 90 min twice in the Europa League. You also quoted a stat that he had played a total of 1167 mins last season. I have a stat that says he only played 391 mins in the Prem league last season, so where are you getting the other 776 mins from?

The two games in the Europa league are from the period you chose to use as some sort of argument as to why we did well in the cups and not the league. 

The extra 776 minutes comes from all the games except the premier league, across the whole season so including the league he made a total of 24 appearances for a total of 1167 minutes.

Just now, Martin1905 said:

The two games in the Europa league are from the period you chose to use as some sort of argument as to why we did well in the cups and not the league.

What??

Nevermind.

paulw66   
1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Wow! Interesting stats. Hard to believe that little old Josh McEachran had either more, or the same number of debut season starts than Gerrard, Trent AA,  JT,  Beckam or Kane.

It just demonstrates how some Chelsea managers went above and beyond to promote academy youth. 

Particularly Sarri

2 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

The extra 776 minutes comes from all the games except the premier league, across the whole season so including the league he made a total of 24 appearances for a total of 1167 minutes.

The lad has a serious injury and who knows how long it takes for him to recover, and I doubt the next head coach will have him as the shining light next season. 

What the next coach has is a pool of ~60 players when you include the loan squad to select a squad of 25 to make the top for by the end of the season. The next real player investment will start in the summer of 2020. 

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Wow! Interesting stats. Hard to believe that little old Josh McEachran had either more, or the same number of debut season starts than Gerrard, Trent AA,  JT,  Beckam or Kane.

It just demonstrates how some Chelsea managers went above and beyond to promote academy youth. 

It demonstrates just how detached from the facts some of the youth promoters and most of the media are about Chelsea/

18 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Next season we have a few very promising players potentially at our disposal who did see some serious game time at at least Championship level. Trevoh Chalobah (20 in July), James (20 in December),  Mount (20), Abraham (22 in October). Add Ghuehi (19 in July), McEachran (19 in August), Ampadu (19 in September), Hudson-Odoi (19 in November), Mount (20), Christensen (23) and Loftus-Cheek (23) and that is fairly large HG/academy pool to draw from for a 25 man squad. 

It is good.  But is is a B team for a squad that has about 40 B team players already (including many on loan) and only about 5 or 6 A team players.

21 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

It could certainly be intriguing to see what Lampard could do with a large group of youngsters spiced up with some top names next summer.

The new manager (sadly Sarri's knowledge of the players has been lost) is going to have to make a lot of decisions in just a few weeks.  The PL season closes on August 8th ( 9 weeks today).  We desperately need 4 top players in (ideally 6 or 7, but 4 is as much as one can hope for).  And about 30 senior pros need to be sold or put out on loan (admittedly the deadline for that is 3 weeks later for moves outside Prem or abroad). At least 3 players start the season with unknown fitness and 4 or 5 over 30 with potentially rapidly declining form.

It is one hell of a job for any manager, let alone one with 12 months experience in the Championship preparing for CL and PL.

I do hope he ignores all the marginal players and concentrates on the ones like Jorginho and Kepa who will truly make the difference this season and the next.
If I were an agent I'd be pushing very hard to get my kid out on loan again.

DannyLB   

In other news, there are pictures surfacing over the net of Cech and Marina at the Bridge today. Gee, wonder why...

If this summer pans out as it currently appears it will then I feel like the board have become far far too complacent. Complacent in thinking we wouldn't get a transfer ban and preparing the squad for it accordingly. Complacent in not delaying the ban, thinking we can easily get top four next season with current playing squad. Complacent in thinking a man with very little management experience is the man to do that. Complacent in not replacing Emenalo 2+ years after he gave notice. Complacent in trusting Cech with our biggest rebuild of the RA era, he has zero experience and just finished playing. Complacent in thinking Pulisic is an adequate replacement for Hazard. Complacent thinking they know better than the football men and that 3rd 4th 5th choice signings would suffice last time we won the league.

I get that all of ths may not happen. I also get that football is an emotional thing and people are excited by the prospect of legends coming home, and don't blame them for that. If Frank, Jody and Petr come I will absolutely get behind them don't get me wrong, and Pulisic. I've always been someone to look at things like this in a more sensible rather than emotional manner. If you put the emotion a side for a sec and look at these decisions collectively on paper, on a footballing and business level, in the cold light of day, you'd think we've lost our marbles.

I know people will want to the point the finger at x manager for problem y, but the board were the constant that oversaw their hiring, firing and recruitment. Yet they seem beyond reproach and it seems are never held accountable. If we are going to have a big shake up can we not get rid of some of the higher ups that contributed massively to the quagmire we are in this summer. Crazy to think 2 seasons ago we had just won the league. We have won two more trophies in that time, it's just so frustrating that we could have done so much better. And I don't think this is part of some grand plan to be happy with 6th and nurture our talent for a few years. That doesn't sound like Roman. I think it's just, that word again, complacency.

Not trying to dredge up the debate of who else is to blame for xyz that dominate this forum, and probably won't get involved if it does, this post is more borne out of the aforementioned frustration and concern for the direction we've been taken and the boards involvement with that. Bit negative but once the season starts I will try to look on the positives of wherever we are and hope for the best. Promise! It would be exciting to see a team with a few academy products, managed by Frank, once I see those my mood and outlook will change and the excitement will kick in. Atm I just feel its not particularly healthy for a club with our lofty ambitions.

chara   

This isn't quite the right forum but I for one am very concerned about CHO (RLC and Rudiger to a slightly lesser extent). 

Apart from not being available to any new coach appointment I worry that his injury may prove detrimental to his career....going back as far as Ossie...he said himself that after his broken leg he never quite recovered the pace he had prior to his injury.

I hope for the best for all three injured guys not just in a Chelsea context but for their own futures.