• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I suggested to a mate (being semi serious) a while ago that we appoint someone in a role who unbeknown to the fans, actually does nothing, but is the public punchbag for when things go wrong. 

Sarri 😄

sorry I could not resist it. 

I promise to give myself a good shoeing for that comment when the bus gets me back to camp. 

Edited by RobertoftheGiz

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

I'm fairly sure CAS can't extend it. I know Bob was saying he had read there was a chance that we could have the ban extended if we were found to have made a frivolous appeal but my, limited understanding, is if that was to happen it would have been FIFA who would have extended it when we made the original appeal to them.

Unfortunately Bob couldn't remember where he read it, I'm not saying he's wrong, but find it almost impossible to believe that a court could hand out further punishment because an appeal against the original punishment has been lodged. It would make a complete mockery of the legal system and there is absolutely no precedent for this in any other form of life.

I didn't say the court (CAS) would extend the ban but that FIFA might should we ask CAS to freeze the punishment during the appeal process and then fail in our appeal.

This all boils down to FIFA getting fed up at what they consider to be clubs trying to get out of their punishment by lodging an appeal with CAS they know they won't win but which nonetheless gives them some breathing space when it comes to registering players. All previous appeals were rejected (yes, I know one was reduced by CAS by one window, but all the others got the full bans originally intended, but also managed to register new players ahead of the bans eventually coming into force) so in a way it's understandable that FIFA are now starting to play hard-ball.

... and yes, I'm annoyed with myself for not book-marking the article in my browser as I would normally do.

Ham   
19 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I didn't say the court (CAS) would extend the ban but that FIFA might should we ask CAS to freeze the punishment during the appeal process and then fail in our appeal.

This all boils down to FIFA getting fed up at what they consider to be clubs trying to get out of their punishment by lodging an appeal with CAS they know they won't win but which nonetheless gives them some breathing space when it comes to registering players. All previous appeals were rejected (yes, I know one was reduced by CAS by one window, but all the others got the full bans originally intended, but also managed to register new players ahead of the bans eventually coming into force) so in a way it's understandable that FIFA are now starting to play hard-ball.

... and yes, I'm annoyed with myself for not book-marking the article in my browser as I would normally do.

I believe that if the circumstances were exactly the same as the previous punishments that had failed appeals then FIFA would insist that a precedent had already been set and that any appeal on the same grounds would be frivolous. That's where they were planning to extend bans.  

9 minutes ago, Ham said:

I believe that if the circumstances were exactly the same as the previous punishments that had failed appeals then FIFA would insist that a precedent had already been set and that any appeal on the same grounds would be frivolous. That's where they were planning to extend bans.  

Too late now - we have appealed the decision already - which means FIFA could increase the ban just as soon as ACAS dismiss the appeal.

I think in any legal situation both sides like to talk tough.  So if a FIFA rep spoke to a journalist he'd be honour bound to say that next time FIFA will be tougher, faster and won't stand any nonsense.

6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Too late now - we have appealed the decision already - which means FIFA could increase the ban just as soon as ACAS dismiss the appeal.

I think in any legal situation both sides like to talk tough.  So if a FIFA rep spoke to a journalist he'd be honour bound to say that next time FIFA will be tougher, faster and won't stand any nonsense.

Whilst we have appealed the decision with CAS, we haven't asked for the ban in registering new players to be temporarily lifted whilst the appeal is heard... a very different approach to that taken by Barca, Real and Athletico in the past. If our appeal fails, I doubt FIFA would increase our ban given we've avoided using the 'loophole' they're trying to close.

27 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Whilst we have appealed the decision with CAS, we haven't asked for the ban in registering new players to be temporarily lifted whilst the appeal is heard... a very different approach to that taken by Barca, Real and Athletico in the past. If our appeal fails, I doubt FIFA would increase our ban given we've avoided using the 'loophole' they're trying to close.

I think you are relying too much on a Fifa quote to a journalist (irrespective of whether there is a link).  Fifa reps are supposed to talk tough.

To clarify my response to Ham, if our grounds for appeal are the same as in previous cases and he is right that they are frivolous, why bother to appeal to CAS at all?  

The only answers would be

a) we think we have better grounds, perhaps because of the FA role in this (that is not frivolous)

and/or b) that we intend to request a delay of the ban at some point this summer.

4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

and/or b) that we intend to request a delay of the ban at some point this summer.

That's my guess; ask now and it could like like disingenuous game playing. Ask when the absolute inevitable, that CAS cannot hear the appeal before the window officially opens, becomes apparent and we lend the request a sense of integrity and credibility. 

14 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think you are relying too much on a Fifa quote to a journalist (irrespective of whether there is a link).  Fifa reps are supposed to talk tough.

To clarify my response to Ham, if our grounds for appeal are the same as in previous cases and he is right that they are frivolous, why bother to appeal to CAS at all?  

The only answers would be

a) we think we have better grounds, perhaps because of the FA role in this (that is not frivolous)

Really????

Back on topic...............I have nanny related intelligence that strongly suggests SFL will be the next Chelsea manager/coach. 

JaneB   
15 minutes ago, East Lower said:

Back on topic...............I have nanny related intelligence that strongly suggests SFL will be the next Chelsea manager/coach. 

......nanny related? 🤔