• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

JaneB   
32 minutes ago, East Lower said:

Nanny has been told he’s going to be spending more time back at home in London, by Christine. 

Not doubting your sources at all but I wonder if Christine would be so indiscreet, and she and Frank are on holiday atm and Derby are saying that they have received no approach from Chelsea as yet. Just saying. 

3 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Not doubting your sources at all but I wonder if Christine would be so indiscreet, and she and Frank are on holiday atm and Derby are saying that they have received no approach from Chelsea as yet. Just saying. 

He is 14 to 1 odds on.  There have been a lot more people than one nanny who has been indiscreet for weeks.  

JaneB   
1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

He is 14 to 1 odds on.  There have been a lot more people than one nanny who has been indiscreet for weeks.  

Can you explain what 14 to 1 odds on means to someone completely ignorant of betting, and what they base their odds on? Thanks 😀

kev61   
8 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Can you explain what 14 to 1 odds on means to someone completely ignorant of betting, and what they base their odds on? Thanks 😀

For every 14 pounds you put on with the bookies you get 1 back - the same odds as Droy getting things wrong

Edited by kev61
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

kev61   
2 minutes ago, kev61 said:

For every 14 pounds you put on with the bookies you get 1 back - the same odds as Droy getting things wrong

Sorry folks didn't have my betting head on there for a moment hence the edit😁

kev61   

Well I never -Trump is leader of the free world,Bouncy Boris looks like he is about to be the next pm and Sarri thinks he was hard done by at Chelsea it's a funny old game/world.

35 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Harmless fun really, so no worries. Coincidence really as this came from a completely different place than the Hazard one. 

A wise person once told me “A secret is only a secret until you tell someone”. Very little said in confidence, remains so. Just the nature of people really.

As DWMH says with odds of 1/14, there’s probably other information more reliable than this, causing the bookies to be that skinny. 

45 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Sure, Good question.   
14 to one (without the Odds on) means that if you bet £1, you get £14 back if you win, plus your original pound.  You can get 14 to 1 on Rafa Benitez to be our next manager (traitor).

14 to 1 odds on, means if you bet £14 on SFL to be our next manager, you get £1 back plus your original £14.

Sometimes we talk about implied probabilities 
14 to 1  for Benitez implies that   he has a 7% chance of being the next manager      1/(14+1) = 7%

14 to 1 odds on for Lampard implies that SFL has a 93% chance of being the next manager      14/(14+1) = 93%

(loads of technical issue with implied numbers, but they explain the difference clearly)

What do they base they bets on?  a bit of that is the news, some is knowledge of who their betters are (perhaps Old Harry puts 5 grand on his nephew) but ultimately it is just a market based on demand and supply.  If a bookies is down to odds of 14 to 1 odds on, it means he really can't afford to take any more bets on Lampard even at crazy odds, and he can't find any other bookmaker to lay bets off onto.

14 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Really.  The alternative is that we presented an entirely frivolous appeal that a) we knew had no chance and  b) that was not part of a plan to delay the ban.

Is that what you think Really????

No, I've already told you what I think. As usual you have chosen to ignore what I've actually written and interpreted some imaginary conversation you've had with me in your head and typed that out instead. You do it with me, you do it with others, and it really is very tiresome. Goodbye.

BlueFizz   
9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

What do they base they bets on?  a bit of that is the news, some is knowledge of who their betters are (perhaps Old Harry puts 5 grand on his nephew) but ultimately it is just a market based on demand and supply.  If a bookies is down to odds of 14 to 1 odds on, it means he really can't afford to take any more bets on Lampard even at crazy odds, and he can't find any other bookmaker to lay bets off onto.

For the benefit of JaneB - Droy’s full explanation is great. I would just add to this point that bookies use opening odds as a ‘tempter’. So, they assess the likelihood a bet being won (eg Frank becoming coach’) look at competitors’ odds, then set theirs as good enough to tempt punters - eg Frank might open at 4-1 (4 x your bet + your stake) then as punters rush in then will tend to shorten odds as the more punters put on a bet the more bookies pay out if it wins. 

Remember, bookies want you to bet, not win - or perhaps to bet, win a bit, but not win big.