• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

2 hours ago, kev61 said:

You must be a very rich man given you are the fountain of all knowledge.

Not me mate.  I said long ago that our board is too smart to employ SFL, and it would be a mistake for him and us.

But unlike a few here, I don't care to argue with people who put their money where their mouth is.

8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not me mate.  I said long ago that our board is too smart to employ SFL, and it would be a mistake for him and us.

But unlike a few here, I don't care to argue with people who put their money where their mouth is.

How do you feel about the theory that with so many wrong things happening at the club with no Hazard , an ageing squad and a transfer ban that it's the ideal time to rip it up and start again ? Lampard , learning on the job so to speak for at least a season before we can buy again ?

Blue Rod   
6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

How do you feel about the theory that with so many wrong things happening at the club with no Hazard , an ageing squad and a transfer ban that it's the ideal time to rip it up and start again ? Lampard , learning on the job so to speak for at least a season before we can buy again ?

I personally think that hiring Lampard would be too much of a gamble for any serious club. On what basis would that appointment be made? He has barely dealt with anything as a manager. This ban on signing is being overplayed. I'm sure we can find find managers out there with competence and experience who would happily take the job without new signings. 

Juni   

Without considering why they went on to succeed, were the decisions to hire Guardiola and Zidane by the two biggest clubs in the world too much of a gamble, or are they not serious clubs?

Blue Rod   
27 minutes ago, Juni said:

Without considering why they went on to succeed, were the decisions to hire Guardiola and Zidane by the two biggest clubs in the world too much of a gamble, or are they not serious clubs?

I dont think you can compare the managerial career paths of those two managers to Lampard's.  Pep Guardiola for example, managed the Barcelona B side where he excelled with young and upcoming talents and convinced the hierarchy of his methods. Apart from sentiments there is really nothing to justify appointing Lampard. Ask yourself; what has Lampard done to convince you he is the right man for the Chelsea job? 

Vialli had no experience whatsoever and won two cups and got third in the league so why can't Lamps steady the ship, we haven't got a terrible side, just lacking in depth and the highest of quality, I'm sure he can mobilise the players to put in one last shift. 

Ham   
4 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I dont think you can compare the managerial career paths of those two managers to Lampard's.  Pep Guardiola for example, managed the Barcelona B side where he excelled with young and upcoming talents and convinced the hierarchy of his methods. Apart from sentiments there is really nothing to justify appointing Lampard. Ask yourself; what has Lampard done to convince you he is the right man for the Chelsea job? 

Between Frank and Jody they've got the stellar playing career and the excellent record with the youngsters covered. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Rip it up and start again yes.  Give that massive job to Frank - crazy (though it seems to be happening).

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Vialli had no experience whatsoever and won two cups and got third in the league so why can't Lamps steady the ship, we haven't got a terrible side, just lacking in depth and the highest of quality, I'm sure he can mobilise the players to put in one last shift. 

Vialli had Bates and Hutchinson together planning the team, and a mass of highly experienced pros to manage.  The job was simply to avoid upsetting Bates (which is where Gullitt went wrong) or the players (where Vialli went wrong).  The rest of the coaching staff did not change.
The team won cups and games when it was up for it, and lost games when they weren't - strongly hinting that the playing staff were better than the manager (and the opposite to last season where we beat almost all the teams in the bottom half consistently).

Vialli had to coach 20 top pros.  The next guy has to manager 60, of which 5 are top pros.  
Vialli took a team up a couple of places and 10 points for one year (but not his second).  To advance from 3rd place and EL winners, the next guy would have to improve by 20 points or win the CL.  
The job now is far far far tougher.

36 minutes ago, Juni said:

Both had had quite a bit of time coaching at their clubs, with Zidane actually being Technical director for a while.  (people think they were pulled of the street - but just read the wikipedia articles).  They both worked with an established coaching team, and had experienced football guys watching them.  

It was like Dalgleish or Vialli being promoted within a coaching system.  (Or Souness!!)

The next guy will have to replace the whole existing set up and there will be no established club person to watch over him other than Marina.

11 minutes ago, Ham said:

Between Frank and Jody they've got the stellar playing career and the excellent record with the youngsters covered. 

There are 2 or 3  more senior youth coaches than Jodie already at the club. 

47 minutes ago, Juni said:

Henry was too much of a gamble for Monaco, Gattuso didn't work out for AC Milan, Solari at Real Madrid. Three examples just from this season alone of the opposite happening.

You only have to look at the managers appointed since Guardiola to see what an easy gig the Barca job is.

Frank would not be stepping in to take over a well equipped squad in a two team league, he will be coming in having to rebuild the squad and potentially operate under a transfer ban. Couldn't be a worse time to hire him than this summer, surely. 

• Like 1

Well , if appointing Frank is lunacy , which seems the general consensus, who are we gonna call ?

Blanc ?

Benitez ?

Mourinho ?

Eddie Howe ?

Brendan Rodgers ?

Maximilian Allegri ?

Who ?

Ten signings Guardiola ?