• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

26 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

None of the above apply to Lampard or Chelsea apart from the respect and the few months getting his badges at the club during his 5 year absence.

How is Lampard going to be allowed to coach a CL team if he hasnt yet completed his FIFA Pro. I thought you said their were rules about that?

23 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

As for all those managers who could have achieved sixth with Derby ?

Bielsa a manager of far greater pedigree didn't manage it with a bigger budget at Leeds did he ? And nobody would bat an eye if he was suggested for the job .

Leeds were 3rd, up 10 places on the year before.  Just saying.

14 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

If he hadn't of quit maybe he would have been fired.  (Sarri)

Certainly not.  No Juve, Sarri stays, no Lampard this year.

12 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Cech is now our TD. 

Technical Director??    That is not how the club put it.

Petr Cech returns to Chelsea as Technical and Performance Advisor. The focus of the job will be to provide advice on all football and performance matters throughout the club as well as embed and facilitate strong links between our men’s and academy teams, ensuring that the various support departments are working together effectively.

9 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Certainly not.  No Juve, Sarri stays, no Lampard this year.

Sarri did say to Chelsea before EL final " Dont judge me on this game, judge me on my season" (or something like that). He clearly sniffed something in the air that his job was in serious jeopardy. But he did win it so he got another year I expect based on that. Not even sure top 3 would have done it. My opinion...absolute knife edge on several occasions.  

edit: I'll make sure I call Cech a TPA from now on!

Edited by NoblyBobly

11 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Sarri did say to Chelsea before EL final " Dont judge me on this game, judge me on my season" (or something like that). He clearly sniffed something in the air that his job was in serious jeopardy. But he did win it so he got another year I expect based on that. Not even sure top 3 would have done it. My opinion...absolute knife edge on several occasions.  

edit: I'll make sure I call Cech a TPA from now on!

I think we all know what he sniffed in the air - it was Juve.
This season has just been one long disaster for the Sarri haters.  He wouldn't pick CHO, he did pick CHO, CHO broke through perfectly but only because someone else was forcing him against his will.  He is forcing the wrong tactics on the players, He won't change, he has changed, the players changed in spite of him, and we end up playing as close to Sarriball as we did all season get 3rd and the EL.
He is rubbish, he is lucky, the players saved him, the club will sack him, the club should sack him, oh he had gone to Juve but the club wanted to sack him to replace him with the manager we still haven't signed on June 22nd.  Never mind seeing Jorginho come through by the season end (possibly also to be headhunted by Juve) and Kante playing brilliantly in the wrong position that  he has played all his career.

Tough year.

I loved it - had the Marlborough man logo since September.

JaneB   

Continuing to think of not much else atm. My heart of course says Lampard 💙 My head isn't so sure. But then I think about Ruud and Vialli, Avram Can't and Scolari, Villas Boas and Benitez and even Sarri. Even Robbie I suppose. 

Some real bizarre ones there.

Who's to say when the right time is and who the right man is? It will always be a risk.

Edited by JaneB

Rob B   

All of these posts saying X Y Z Manager is more qualified or more experienced are missing the point.

The point is that the club see Frank as the best fit...

His affiliation with the club should bring stability (ie not getting homesick like Sarri or throwing a strop like Conte), him and Jody know the academy players which is now more important than ever and will give them a huge boost,  he will unite us fans again, he’s a really bright guy is likely to learn quickly, and let’s be completely honest, he’s a winner. 

Young, English, charismatic, hungry to success and a club legend - what’s not to love??  Absolute no brainer for me...

Edited by Rob B
  • Like 3

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think we all know what he sniffed in the air - it was Juve.
This season has just been one long disaster for the Sarri haters.  He wouldn't pick CHO, he did pick CHO, CHO broke through perfectly but only because someone else was forcing him against his will.  He is forcing the wrong tactics on the players, He won't change, he has changed, the players changed in spite of him, and we end up playing as close to Sarriball as we did all season get 3rd and the EL.
He is rubbish, he is lucky, the players saved him, the club will sack him, the club should sack him, oh he had gone to Juve but the club wanted to sack him to replace him with the manager we still haven't signed on June 22nd.  Never mind seeing Jorginho come through by the season end (possibly also to be headhunted by Juve) and Kante playing brilliantly in the wrong position that  he has played all his career.

Tough year.

I loved it - had the Marlborough man logo since September.

Dear oh dear! Why can't you just engage the argument without all this emotive rubbish? You can criticise a manager or simply not rate him. It does not mean you hate the manager.

You didn't think Conte was good enough, even when he won the PL. It does not make you a hater of Conte. You still think that Jose Mourinho is the best manager around, even after he became a journeyman.

Most people here respect your opinion for what it is. It is an own goal for someone as opinionated as you to be using such word as hater. 

I actually think that Sarri is not nearly good enough to coach Juventus. If he lasts more than 2 seasons I would put my hands up and admit my underrating of him. But it still does not mean  I hate him. 

25 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Yes.  Looks like it - and we need to get used to it.  True

24 minutes ago, Rob B said:

him and Jody know the academy players which is now more important than ever and will give them a huge boost,

Pretty much every other poster says something like this, so I am not picking on Rob.

1.  it isn't important - right now the club needs to sieve through the 60 or so players we have at England U21 level or above, and get down to about 35 players, of which only 5 are good enough to be automatic starters.  Only then with loans and 4 or 5 big new names can we talk about the proper squad we can hope for after or next transfer season.
Promoting Academy players is about 10th in the list of priorities.

2.  SFL hasn't been at the club for 5 years.  he doesn't know the up coming stars, and we shouldn't pretend he does.
Jodie Morris coached the U18s (though at Chelsea the best players play up a year or two).  The last thing we need now is to judge players on what they looked like at 16 or 17.  That ways makes RLC first name on the sheet and Josh McEachran brought back as captain.  
We need senior coaches to judge them as 20/21 year olds PL players.  Jodie's past doesn't help in that.

3.  I just hope that at his first interview SFL doesn't go on about giving youth games.  Have some respect for the likes of Zappacosta, Baka, Moses, Barkley (the list really is endless)... who are all PL level players and mostly better than the kids, but have little or no chance to play for anyone unless they get sold or loaned out this summer.

Forget the Academy for a while - we have serious adult problems.

44 minutes ago, Rob B said:

All of these posts saying X Y Z Manager is more qualified or more experienced are missing the point.

His affiliation with the club should bring stability (ie not getting homesick like Sarri or throwing a strop like Conte), him and Jody know the academy players which is now more important than ever and will give them a huge boost,  he will unite us fans again, he’s a really bright guy is likely to learn quickly, and let’s be completely honest, he’s a winner. 

Young, English, charismatic, hungry to success and a club legend - what’s not to love??  Absolute no brainer for me...

Those posts were examples in response to the suggestion that there was no other option out there, a very different point.

Everything you said after best fit, could be said about Henry before taking over at Monaco and it was an absolute disaster. I hope you're right and it works out bit atm it's just that, hope, and a gamble. Fore every Zidane and Guardiola there are ten opposite examples.

23 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Promoting Academy players is about 10th in the list of priorities.

2.  SFL hasn't been at the club for 5 years.  he doesn't know the up coming stars, and we shouldn't pretend he does.
Jodie Morris coached the U18s (though at Chelsea the best players play up a year or two).  The last thing we need now is to judge players on what they looked like at 16 or 17.  That ways makes RLC first name on the sheet and Josh McEachran brought back as captain.  
We need senior coaches to judge them as 20/21 year olds PL players.  Jodie's past doesn't help in that.

3.  I just hope that at his first interview SFL doesn't go on about giving youth games.  Have some respect for the likes of Zappacosta, Baka, Moses, Barkley (the list really is endless)... who are all PL level players and mostly better than the kids, but have little or no chance to play for anyone unless they get sold or loaned out this summer.

Forget the Academy for a while - we have serious adult problems.

Well said, again this idea that we will be like the Ajax or Barca of England sounds a bit hopeful to me. They are the only teams to really manage to get academy products in the squad and challenge.

I don't buy into the 'he will be given time' thing either if he doesn't hit the ground running. He will be under immense pressure, same as all our other incoming managers, and will revert to type and play senior players as much as possible. If people think Roman or the board are going to say 'don't worry where we finish, just play some youngsters and we guarantee you two years with loads of money to spend' then I have no idea which club they've been following for the past 15 years.

11 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

About as wrong as you could get.  At present it is extremely likely SFL is the next manager 

Probably