• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

9 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

But mostly that I feel the team is in pretty weak shape, and that Lampard will either not get to address that or will be given huge signings that bring expectation, and that there is really no precedent for us ever giving managers a 'free shot' as it were; it is pure magical thinking to suggest it will happen now when we've seen a CL-winning former player sacked for an arch-rival and a three-time title winner sacked before Christmas. Honestly cannot fathom how anyone would convince themselves it will happen now. 

Not sure I believe in it, but if you want to see a pattern you could say that 2011-2013 was all about rebuilding.  We bought a shed load of young talents and stopped worrying about winning stuff (while fate decreed us lucky for  year only - 2012).
Former club favourite AVB was brought in.  A star manager, not a proven one.  Former club favourite RDB was his deputy and replacement.  The club favourites were not great, but the rebuild was terrific.  After 18 months of "softer" less experienced managers the club went for old experienced heads - the fat one and then JM.

We are certainly in rebuilding phase now.  Perhaps the club have gone for a low key manager while the team sorts itself out, with the intention of bringing in the usual "winning manager" when the players are ready.

Well if anyone can solve the problem No 8 position utilizing the current playing staff its Frank, could do wonders for Barkley and RLC. Once we can sign players anyone playing that position will no doubt have idolized him, and would therefore be keen to play under him. The thought of Havertz training under Frank has me slightly aroused.

Kezza   

At what level of goodness will people be satisfied with Frank's managing the team? I'd be glad if he's even close to Gareth Southgate at this moment. And Gareth had a few years of coaching under his belt before the big job. Well every experimental young managers so far at big clubs had had some form of youth coaching experience for a few years. I'm worried to be honest. Once the sentiments from fickle fans is gone there will be questions asked.

Edited by Kezza

BlueFizz   
31 minutes ago, Kezza said:

At what level of goodness will people be satisfied with Frank's managing the team? I'd be glad if he's even close to Gareth Southgate at this moment. And Gareth had a few years of coaching under his belt before the big job. Well every experimental young managers so far at big clubs had had some form of youth coaching experience for a few years. I'm worried to be honest. Once the sentiments from fickle fans is gone there will be questions asked.

Frank has zero youth coaching experience - but Jody, if he comes, brings lots.

I think this may be more of a team effort than some coach/support team setup. 

I take heart from some short interviews on Sky - with guys from MSL and Vincent Kompany - talking about Lampard’s professionalism, aura, ability to lead... I think this is reassuring.

It is a risk but an exciting risk. Sarri was a risk too - but never an exciting one. 

I look forward to it and won’t over-think it.

30 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

Frank has zero youth coaching experience - but Jody, if he comes, brings lots.

Well if there is one ex-player who knows how to get the absolute best out of a highly talented teenager, I know which one I would chose.  And it is not the one with the most U16 caps.

9 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

OK, I understand but I'm not sure I agree and surely we are prevented from acquiring huge signings aren't we?

As things stand... We're all guessing at how they'll stand in a month. If the ban is suspended, it'll be because we asked and if we asked, it'll be because we intend to do big things. Hence, we're looking at no signings or a spree IMO. 

Brin   

Forget the negatives, focus on the positives, Frank is very ambitious and driven and most importantly he knows the English game and Chelsea. So good luck Frank may you become a legend for the second time.

Ham   
3 minutes ago, Brin said:

Forget the negatives, focus on the positives, Frank is very ambitious and driven and most importantly he knows the English game and Chelsea. So good luck Frank may you become a legend for the second time.

This, I can get on board with 👍

paulw66   
11 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Was going to comment on this, guess I can do so in response to this... 

Partly, I'll concede, just a feeling of pessimism.

But mostly that I feel the team is in pretty weak shape, and that Lampard will either not get to address that or will be given huge signings that bring expectation, and that there is really no precedent for us ever giving managers a 'free shot' as it were; it is pure magical thinking to suggest it will happen now when we've seen a CL-winning former player sacked for an arch-rival and a three-time title winner sacked before Christmas. Honestly cannot fathom how anyone would convince themselves it will happen now. 

I don't want it to happen, of course. But, and I choose the word purposefully, cannot bring myself to pretend that Chelsea FC are going to change just because I love Frank Lampard. 

Can the season stop after the first home game? Looking forward to the actual return! 

The CL winning manager, he never wanted to appoint in the first place, and sacked him at the first sign of a wobble.

Jose MKII - the club were a point above the drop zone. Had no choice.