• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

33 minutes ago, Sir said:

Think I’d rather Benitez than Lampard. Yeah, I said it.. but really, Lampard is a no no. What’s he done managerial wise to warrant such a position? It’s utterly nonsensical. Looks like we can’t get Simeone, so I’m still unsure who fits.

This. I hate the FSW as much as anyone but at least he has a track record. SFL was a fantastic player for us but has very little management experience and his one season last year was just above average to what was expected. This supposed appointment smacks of a lack of joined up thinking, which is why it is probably going to happen. This is exactly like Utd appointing OSG but worse as we do not have anyone that can score.

1 hour ago, Conte Kante said:

his one season last year was just above average to what was expected. 

Yeah, I think that it's too early. Maybe after another season, or two, but right now I think that Frank would be on a hiding to nothing at SB. That doesn't mean that it wan't happen, but it would certainly be risky.

3 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

If you think it's that easy because he knows the club we should just give it to Carlo Cudicini or one of the youth teams coaches.

"or maybe Billy McCullock?"

All we really know about Frank is last season where Derby finished 20 points off top

"seriously , is that all you really know about Frank? And by the way, are you aware that our last coach finished 25 points behind a team whom we have a dedicated thread on this site to specifically ' take the piss out of'" ? 

, to suggest he is the best up and coming manager in world football

" is Mark or anyone else suggesting that? Did I miss something? " 

. Hopefully he becomes that.

" yes, good idea to keep all bases covered just in case he does really well.

If Frank Lampard is offered this job and accepts it, I can certainly tell you something about him....he has a large pair of balls. Because to take on this position with a transfer ban imminent,  an aging squad, long term injuries to key young players and without the one player who more than anyone dragged us into top 4 last season, is a situation that requires a pair of the previously mentioned items. And it is something that the previous coach didn't appear to have...in his own words he was 'missing Italy and wanted to be near his elderly parents' ( I'll put money on them outlasting him).  

In contrast Frank Lampard is the sort of person who pulls on a Chelsea shirt a few days after the death of his mother, takes to the field in a crucial CL tie  against Liverpool and bangs in the winning penalty. You can call it sentiment, you can call it whatever the hell you want , but that's my Chelsea manager right there.

4 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

This. I hate the FSW as much as anyone but at least he has a track record. SFL was a fantastic player for us but has very little management experience and his one season last year was just above average to what was expected. This supposed appointment smacks of a lack of joined up thinking, which is why it is probably going to happen. This is exactly like Utd appointing OSG but worse as we do not have anyone that can score.

Maybe the club knows all of this, has considered it and have come to the conclusion that there are still a few positives worth pursuing....?

Surely a guy who gave 10 years to the club, seems to be a great communicator, learned from the best in the business and knows how Chelsea operates PLUS has a supposedly good relationship with the owner has a few things going for him. 

OGS is frequently brought up, but OGS never seemed to command much respect as a player or a coach, had already been proven a failure in the PL BEFORE signing on at United, and he’s got a really rotten group to work with there. 

Lampard at the very least oozes confidence and class and definitely looks like he commands a whole lot of respect. IMO. The squad he will inherit isn’t great but I’m sure everyone knows that already - including the people in charge.

I’m just saying there are certain key differences between SFL and OGS. 

10 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Having to change managers is a nightmare, tbh; makes a lot of the more painful moments of the season just gone absolutely pointless. I am less bothered by names, and more interested in what style and type of football the next coach wants to play. They need to also favour possession and quick transitions. 

Really fear for any coach if we cannot sign players. Hazard gone, older and older legs in the other attacking positions, RLC and CHO likely out for long time. New players are very, very important. We really needed to be prioritising them (or at least the fight to be able to sign them!) over a new coach. 

This. 

I’m all for Lampard being our manager but fear these are the worst possible circumstances for him to do so. Some people seem to think that he’ll be given a free pass because of who he is, I don’t buy that for a second. If he fails badly he’ll be on his way. If he fails, he’ll be under massive pressure to do a lot better very quickly. Does he have the experience to be able to turn it around after a bad season?

On the other hand, with a good start the feel-good factor can mean a lot and perhaps give us some much needed positive feeling around the club. But it’s a risky move alright. 

6 hours ago, Leo91 said:

It isn't exactly inviting when the last two managers won trophies and still left. Although one was pushed and the other couldn't wait to leave. 

It’s worrying where we are headed. We are doing worse and worse and have been for quite some time. Last season was a bit of a break from that trend but seemingly at a great cost. Now we start again and I’m not sure the fundamentals are in place for this to end well next season. 

35 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

This. 

I’m all for Lampard being our manager but fear these are the worst possible circumstances for him to do so. Some people seem to think that he’ll be given a free pass because of who he is, I don’t buy that for a second. If he fails badly he’ll be on his way. If he fails, he’ll be under massive pressure to do a lot better very quickly. Does he have the experience to be able to turn it around after a bad season?

On the other hand, with a good start the feel-good factor can mean a lot and perhaps give us some much needed positive feeling around the club. But it’s a risky move alright. 

It’s worrying where we are headed. We are doing worse and worse and have been for quite some time. Last season was a bit of a break from that trend but seemingly at a great cost. Now we start again and I’m not sure the fundamentals are in place for this to end well next season. 

I think they're the best possible circumstances for him , there are no positives to taking on the club for any manager at the moment , other than the champions league which given the dreadful squad we have every chance of bombing straight out of at the first opportunity . We have an ageing side who are degrading in performance levels year on year ( three goals from Willian ? Whoop -de-do !) , We have lost our best player , we have our three best youth prospects out on long term injury , we have a transfer ban and we have a heap of loanees returning to the club to be sorted out .

I'm not saying Lampard has anywhere near the credentials to take over the helm , what I'm saying is that IF you're going to take that chance , this is the ideal time to take it , not for Frank but for us , surely at this juncture someone as astute as Roman will understand what any new man is up against .

If Frank comes in and gets the best out of Azpi , Kante , Alonso , Willian , Drinkwater , Bakayoko ,  then he'll already be half way there , he may even be the man to finally get some of the youth in the side and start paying that side of the business off , we have an absolute ton of players nearing retirement , incorporate the youth and maybe reinvigorate the loanees and give some of them like Tammy a proper opportunity thus saving the club even more money in the future , then , like most intelligently run businesses we can add to the playing squad piecemeal when an absolute top notch player becomes available , splash out on a galactico on the way up instead of on the way down as we haven't needed to splash the cash elsewhere.

As you yourself have stated , there is a disconnect between the club and the support at this moment in time , I cannot recall , other than Benitez and possibly Grant getting as much stick as Sarri got from the match going support and there were tangible reasons for all of them to get it . Maybe SFL is the sticking plaster we need to mend the relationship?

If he comes , and I hope he does , I do know he will give 110% all day every day to get this club back to where we want to be , regardless of the smoothness of the ride and , that'll do me .

52 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

We are doing worse and worse and have been for quite some time. 

Sorry, but this is absolute nonsense . Just my opinion though.......

5 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

seriously , is that all you really know about Frank?

It's all we have to go on to judge him as a manager, tbh after only one season I doubt Frank himself even knows much about himself as manager. 

And by the way, are you aware that our last coach finished 25 points behind a team whom we have a dedicated thread on this site to specifically ' take the piss out of'

I'm aware we finished third behind two of the best teams the PL has ever seen. Are you aware that derby gained more points, scored more goals and conceded less goals the season before Frank took over, a performance which saw their manager lose his job to Frank.

is Mark or anyone else suggesting that? Did I miss something?

Its certainly inferred if you think there is nobody better qualified to take the job.

yes, good idea to keep all bases covered just in case he does really well.

To write him off after one season would be as ridiculous as saying he is ready to manage us. I'm not covering the bases of course I want him to become a top manager, but he isn't one yet.

he has a large pair of balls

Not a convincing reason that he is the best option for me.