• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

Recommended Posts

kratos   

I agree with alot of you guys. Frank's appointment is just too early. It would break my heart if and when he joins the long sack list.

 

However with this ban no high profile manager is going to take the job if they cannot buy their own players.

Guess pissing away so much money on meh players is looking better and better.

Frank would give the youth a chance which alot of us have been crying out for years. Granted results may not be to our liking but the fans will give him the benefit of the doubt under the circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Sorry, but this is absolute nonsense . Just my opinion though.......

Well objectively it's a fact. You may have your opinion but the facts remain. 

Just look at our points/season in the league. Is it getting better or wrose as a long-term trend? 

04/05: 95

05/06: 91

06/07: 83

07/08: 85

08/09: 83

09/10: 86

10/11: 71

11/12: 64 

12/13: 75

13/14: 82

14/15: 87

15/16: 50

16/17: 93*

17/18: 70

18/19: 72

The outliers I'm talking about is JMII where he rebuilt the side and then Conte coming in and doing 93 points in an extraordinary season where we basically onlöy had the league to focus on for the whole season. The trend is crystal clear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Holymoly   

You'll all remember Harry predicting Frank's playing future at a WHU supporters evening. Well he more or less did the same thing for his management future on TS this morning. No manager has a job for life at any club these days. If they're not sacked in favour of the devil you don't then more often than not they end up burning out after three years or so anyway and leave of their own accord.

Personally I'd prefer to see Frank attempt to navigate the club through the transfer ban, and maybe bring on a few extra youth players than one would normally see at our club, than put up with another FSW appointment. He's not going to be another SAF so we may as well appoint him now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JaneB   

I hate to say it but I hope this thread doesn't become an annual event.

(Time to play Who Will Be The Next Chelsea Boss again...) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Holymoly   
7 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I hate to say it but I hope this thread doesn't become an annual event.

 

It's when it becomes a biannual event you know we're in trouble...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

It's all we have to go on to judge him as a manager, tbh after only one season I doubt Frank himself even knows much about himself as manager. 

I'm aware we finished third behind two of the best teams the PL has ever seen. Are you aware that derby gained more points, scored more goals and conceded less goals the season before Frank took over, a performance which saw their manager lose his job to Frank.

Its certainly inferred if you think there is nobody better qualified to take the job.

To write him off after one season would be as ridiculous as saying he is ready to manage us. I'm not covering the bases of course I want him to become a top manager, but he isn't one yet.

Not a convincing reason that he is the best option for me.

First point: what exactly did we have to judge Sarri on? I will tell you. 20 years without a trophy and a second place with Napoli. I would say that's a risk wouldn't you? A risk that didn't actually pay off imo . The main hopes and  ideas for last season ( and I stand to be corrected) was that he would exorcise the demons of Conte's last season, lift player moral, start playing the kind of football Roman liked, keep Hazard interested in staying, achieve top four minimum but challenge for the title which we won convincingly only two seasons before, get some continuity. As far as the last point goes, he just quit despite the club's apparent efforts to keep him. Whose fault is that? Mine for moaning about him on these pages? HIS choice to quit, not mine, not yours.  We got top four out of that list but I'll talk about that in a moment. Let me address your second point about Lampards performance so far as a coach. 

My views on Lampard as a coach go back a long way in this site, long before it was fashionable to discuss it, indeed I was largely lampooned for laughably mentioning he should be our next coach. My opinion was that he might actually not do that well at a side like Derby. The evidence being that great players can and do become good managers of great clubs even without much experience ( see Pep G and see Zidane) but they can often struggle at smaller clubs ( there's a long list of examples and I'm not repeating it...you can look it up). The argument is that they just  don't understand or appreciate that the players they are coaching can't do what they use to do with a football.

Frank did really really well at his first appointment despite your attempts to belittle it...much better than I thought tbh. To nearly get promotion was one hell of an achievement. The big question is, how would he perform with a team of  top grade players together with the egos and the rest of it? I don't know , neither do you, neither does Lampard I expect, but if he has a little twinkle in his eye at the prospect then I'm all in , lock stock and barrell. And yes Lump of Celery, balls do count. They always count. They are behind every successful man or woman in any field. And of course he's not a top manager yet. Why state the bleeding obvious, you don't get any brownie points for that. We are talking about potential as you well know. You don't think he's got it, I think he has. If you DO think he's got it then you and I are on the same page. 

Finally let's briefly touch on our top four place. You mentioned we finished 3rd behind two of the best teams the premier league has ever seen. Ok, then answer me this; essentially what was the difference between Liverpool and ourselves last year? I put it to you that the difference was the coach. True Klopp has had time to bed in at liverpool and Sarri has just quit after his first season  rather than continue the project, but 25 points behind....seriously!! This a team that in our modern history we like to thump, and mostly finish higher than and win trophies that they can't and take the piss out of. Near the end of the season  we had a chance to put a massive dent I their title hopes by taking points off them and we were pathetic. Thank God City didn't falter . Didn't that hurt you? Didn't that gap concern you?  It's too easy to say " Pool were really good and there was nothing we  would do about it" because if I then say to you we only got top four because Man United and Arsenal were so bad , you will then have an say something like " well you can only beat what's in front of you" . You can't have it both ways. Are the performance of other teams relevant or not? And what about Spurs? We like to take the piss out of them too don't we. Still finished a point above them didn't we. Still no trophy for them hahaha! I'm not laughing. Spurs haven't bought a player for two years. They played most of their homes games in a soulless Wembley. They achieved top four and got to a Champions League final . They probably would have done better had they not had crucial injuries to key players like Kane and Ali near the end. Oh yes, and they also moved into a magnificent new stadium....it's done, it's out the way. All that is ahead of us I'm afraid. 4 billion quid, 4 years away from the Bridge ( that's If Roman can still be arsed). where we are as a club now is not all Sarri's fault , but some of it is. We can only hope United and Arsenal continue to falter. If Sarri or any manager ever achieved what Ponch achieved this season, I would bow  down in thanks. And believe me it hurts me to say that. We need something to change. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
49 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

First point: what exactly did we have to judge Sarri on? I will tell you. 20 years without a trophy and a second place with Napoli. I would say that's a risk wouldn't you? A risk that didn't actually pay off imo . The main hopes and  ideas for last season ( and I stand to be corrected) was that he would exorcise the demons of Conte's last season, lift player moral, start playing the kind of football Roman liked, keep Hazard interested in staying, achieve top four minimum but challenge for the title which we won convincingly only two seasons before, get some continuity. As far as the last point goes, he just quit despite the club's apparent efforts to keep him. Whose fault is that? Mine for moaning about him on these pages? HIS choice to quit, not mine, not yours.  We got top four out of that list but I'll talk about that in a moment. Let me address your second point about Lampards performance so far as a coach. 

 

Was there a single person who thought a title challenge was possible? There was no way in hell we were going to get close to the 98 points that City got (100 the year before) without a top class striker (among other things) and with a coach who was barely given a pre season. 

The "risk" paid off  - his remit was to get us back into the CL, which he achieved and won a european trophy into the bargain, whilst also being a bit unfortunate not to win the LC. 

Lift player morale - check (Cahill aside). A lot of the players have spoken about being much happier that we were playing with the ball, rather than the rope-a-dope tactics of the season before. Don't confuse player and fan morale. 

Keep Hazard interested in staying?  was never going to happen.he has been fairly open with his desire to play for RM. It was going to happen regardless and you can't pin that on Sarri. Perhaps you can point towards the shocking recuitment that was done at the end of 2016/17 that has left us with a squad that is unbalanced and aging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kezza   

What's Frank's style as a manager? Will he have the strength to drop a star player who's not performing? Will he have the fairness to keep playing a youngster who did well ahead of an established player? Is he an attacking or pragmatic coach? How will he deal with Kante and Jorginho? Can he identify talent and play them appropriately?

Nobody knows. It's an experiment. And such experiment usually don't happen at top clubs like ours. Those mentioning the young ex players turn managers at Barca and Real, these teams have a distinct style of play and culture it seems like generally the team plays well or relatively well irregardless of managers. Look at Barca. Enrique or Valverde I don't see any differences because of the players they have. Our club? We lack identity and a distinct philosophy and way of playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
59 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

 

Finally let's briefly touch on our top four place. You mentioned we finished 3rd behind two of the best teams the premier league has ever seen. Ok, then answer me this; essentially what was the difference between Liverpool and ourselves last year? I put it to you that the difference was the coach. True Klopp has had time to bed in at liverpool and Sarri has just quit after his first season  rather than continue the project, but 25 points behind....seriously!! 

 

You completely gloss over that Klopp is 4 years in. He finished 8th in his first season. He has built his team up piece by piece over a 4 year period. 

Liverpool's squad is far better balanced than ours - as it should be, as the coach has had 4 years to shape it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kezza said:

What's Frank's style as a manager? Will he have the strength to drop a star player who's not performing? Will he have the fairness to keep playing a youngster who did well ahead of an established player? Is he an attacking or pragmatic coach? How will he deal with Kante and Jorginho? Can he identify talent and play them appropriately?

Nobody knows. It's an experiment. And such experiment usually don't happen at top clubs like ours. Those mentioning the young ex players turn managers at Barca and Real, these teams have a distinct style of play and culture it seems like generally the team plays well or relatively well irregardless of managers. Look at Barca. Enrique or Valverde I don't see any differences because of the players they have. Our club? We lack identity and a distinct philosophy and way of playing.

Nobody knows? 

He just had an entire season at Derby county where amongst other things he knocked Man United out of a cup and humbled the red hot favourites Leeds United in the playoffs , he'll set the side up like most normal people to get the best out of the personnel at hand and not rigidly stick to a philosophy regardless , his Derby side played decent football and we were lucky to beat them in the cup ourselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now