• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

My vote would go to Lampard. I don't know whether that is down to me just loving the thought of having a club legend back as a manager or whether I'm impressed with what he managed to do with a young and inexperienced Derby side. It's probably a bit of both but definitely more of the romantic thought of having Lampard back at our club. I'm fine to admit that and don't think it's a bad thing.

After the frustrations, some fans had with Sarri and others with Conte before him as well as the collapse under Jose... I think bringing Lampard back would bring about a real feel-good atmosphere back around the club and although not really important, the press will actually back him and like him, which is rare for a Chelsea manager until they've actually left the job.

The club is in a massive transitional period and for me, why should that not be led by a club legend, a player who understands what it is to be proper Chels... I'm Lampard all the way and although it could of course not work out, the same could be said of most appointments. I remember how excited some were by AVB when he joined and same for Scolari... they didn't end well and one of them had vast managerial experience.

My concern isn't so much with Lampard himself, but the potential team of coaches, advisors etc around him.

It's all well and good wanting to bring in former players with a strong connection to the club, but if we are to believe everything in the papers (I don't, but bear with me...) we could see the following:

Director of Football: Petr Cech
Manager/1st Team Coach: Frank Lampard
Assistant: Jody Morris

Add the possibility of Didier Drogba as a 'forwards coach' of some sort and there are lots of big personalities with lots of trophies to their names as players, but virtually no experience of working in top jobs at top clubs. We need to bring in someone with a bit more experience to help guide the 'new management team' (If only Guus Hiddink were 5 or so years younger)

paulw66   
6 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

My concern isn't so much with Lampard himself, but the potential team of coaches, advisors etc around him.

It's all well and good wanting to bring in former players with a strong connection to the club, but if we are to believe everything in the papers (I don't, but bear with me...) we could see the following:

Add the possibility of Didier Drogba as a 'forwards coach' of some sort and there are lots of big personalities with lots of trophies to their names as players, but virtually no experience of working in top jobs at top clubs. We need to bring in someone with a bit more experience to help guide the 'new management team' (If only Guus Hiddink were 5 or so years younger)

Yes, a lot of inexperience from top to bottom.

I think most fans are on board with the idea of getting ex players back to fulfill certain roles, but surely there needs to be someone with some knowhow 

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

First point: what exactly did we have to judge Sarri on?

What Paul said, plus surely you heard people banging on about the 89 point season, players in best form of their life under him, best football many had ever seen etc. Comparing Sarri's career pre Chelsea with Franks one season at Derby is madness. Anyone who thought we would challenge for the title last year based their opinion/hopes around City and Liverpool not being able to maintain their form of the previous season.

As far as the last point goes, he just quit despite the club's apparent efforts to keep him. Whose fault is that? Mine for moaning about him on these pages? HIS choice to quit, not mine, not yours

I'm not sure which point this was in response to. From your post you seem to have me down as some Sarri super fan and therefore slating Frank. I'm not, and I'm just being realistic. I haven't blamed anyone for Sarri leaving, in fact I have spent the last couple days posting that he would have left regardless of what happened this season, because its Juve and he's Italian. Before the EL final I said that Sarri had done about as expected, nothing speactacular, and that winning the EL would mark it a 'good' season. I equally don't think Frank has done anything spectacular, he has probably been 'good' too. Your entire last paragraph rant about Sarri, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal etc has nothing to do with Franks abilities to be our next manager. I would agree with Paul's posts above that Sarri met his remit, but I don't think he excelled particularly and the football didn't excite me as much as others say it did.

Frank did really really well at his first appointment despite your attempts to belittle it...much better than I thought tbh

You are entitled to hold that opinion, I don't agree with it but I commend youto sticking to your guns. The fact you wanted him to be our next manager before he had spent a day in management might explain your current position o the matter.

We are talking about potential as you well know. You don't think he's got it, I think he has. If you DO think he's got it then you and I are on the same page

I think he has potential but Kezza has put it pretty well - Nobody knows. It's an experiment. And such experiment usually don't happen at top clubs like ours. You may be one of those that would be happy with a mid table finish for a few years to feel a connection, again you are entitled to that opinion and again it may explain our difference inopinion. I personally would not be happy with that because I think even two years in a row out of the CL could set us back 5+ years in challenging again. If that makes me a greedy, entitled fan in some peoples eyes then so be it but I amp pretty sure a lot of fans feel the same. And even though I've never heard him utter a word I'm damn sure Roman does too. Do you think he is planning a few years of mid table obscurity?

The big question is, how would he perform with a team of  top grade players

Why doesn't this apply to all the other more experienced coaches we could hire who have been linked to us? I don't get why certain positives about taking the job right now apply only to Frank and not any other manager - lack of pressure etc. They are only positives when looked at from Franks perspective. That was my original point. Of course if he was level pegging with other candidates he should be given the job but IMO at the moment he just isn't so the club should go for the best appointment available.

35 minutes ago, Kezza said:

What's Frank's style as a manager? Will he have the strength to drop a star player who's not performing? Will he have the fairness to keep playing a youngster who did well ahead of an established player? Is he an attacking or pragmatic coach? How will he deal with Kante and Jorginho? Can he identify talent and play them appropriately?

Nobody knows. It's an experiment. And such experiment usually don't happen at top clubs like ours. Those mentioning the young ex players turn managers at Barca and Real, these teams have a distinct style of play and culture it seems like generally the team plays well or relatively well irregardless of managers. Look at Barca. Enrique or Valverde I don't see any differences because of the players they have. Our club? We lack identity and a distinct philosophy and way of playing.

Agree with this.

11 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I think most fans are on board with the idea of getting ex players back to fulfill certain roles, but surely there needs to be someone with some knowhow 

Tony Cascarino stated publicly that Frank should bring in Mourinho as his assistant!

BlueFizz   

I'm backing Frank.

I have doubts about his readiness, but I think lack of experience can be balanced out by placing one or two wise heads around him.

And I think this lack of experience is balanced off by the strengths - instant connection with fans (we might even shout a bit at home), knows the club, the language, the media, has played the game with us at the very highest level.

Of course it's a risk - any other alternative would be a risk (albeit not the same mixture of risks).

So, to repeat, for these reasons, and mostly because I go to Chelsea to be excited, entertained and part of something bigger,  I'm backing Frank.

I call on you all to set caution and a degree of logic to the winds and enjoy the ride!

JaneB   
37 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Couldn't agree more. I think I've said in the past that it's a lovely idea bringing back all these ex Chelsea players but what are they all going to do? And would they be any good? 

As far as the first team is concerned, if you have a wise manager and assistant plus a GK coach, what else is needed?

Incidentally, we rightly criticise the media but appear to believe all they're saying about Frank coming back as if it's a foregone conclusion. Which doesn't show a lot of respect for Derby. 

Wenger is available .

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Was there a single person who thought a title challenge was possible? There was no way in hell we were going to get close to the 98 points that City got (100 the year before) without a top class striker (among other things) and with a coach who was barely given a pre season. 

The "risk" paid off  - his remit was to get us back into the CL, which he achieved and won a european trophy into the bargain, whilst also being a bit unfortunate not to win the LC. 

Lift player morale - check (Cahill aside). A lot of the players have spoken about being much happier that we were playing with the ball, rather than the rope-a-dope tactics of the season before. Don't confuse player and fan morale. 

Keep Hazard interested in staying?  was never going to happen.he has been fairly open with his desire to play for RM. It was going to happen regardless and you can't pin that on Sarri. Perhaps you can point towards the shocking recuitment that was done at the end of 2016/17 that has left us with a squad that is unbalanced and aging. 

well firstly I said "Challenge" for title..you know, make a good fist of it...push City a bit.  After 8 or 10 games when we were joint top level on 20 points with Pool and City  I have a distinct feeling that you and many others were getting very excited about the possibility of a title challenge. You may remember back then I told you it was never going to happen because we just weren't good enough compared to Pool and City and results were flattering us. Top four and maybe a trophy was the best that we could hope for I said. Do you remember that? Probably not, but do you remember you kept telling me to stop being so negative and to "look at the table".  From that point Liverpool and City made us eat their dust and we utterly capitulated as they finished 25 and 26 points above us with Pool also becoming Champions of Europe to boot.  I suppose getting top four did seemed a bit magical after we dropped to 7th at one point and every man and his dog thought The EL was the only way we could make CL  footie next season. it does depend from which point you are looking at it from.

The second half of our premier season was very very bad.  And you think our players were content and happy about the dull football and terrible results that regularly befell us? .What were all the clear the air meetings about then? Your mate Morata utterly hopeless. Did he look happy? Some of our best performing players openly criticised by Sarri. Do you think they had a spring in their step and their hat at a jaunty angle? Did Hudson Odoi look happy when he handed in his transfer request or RLC look full of hope when regularly ignored after man of the match performances in the EL, or Alonso with his match winning performances, or Giroud sitting glum faced on the bench as Hazard tried to be a centre forward. Ah but Higuain ( Sarri's choice) was going to change things around here... little tinker! He had that little twinkle in his eye when he picked a fight with Luiz the day before the EL final didn't he. Sarri didn't look his usual cheerful self as kicked his cap down the tunnel. Seriously I could go on. And I haven't even got to Cahill yet. But why would you even mention him? Did Cahill say anything. Did he complain? No nothing, because players don't do that mid season if they know what's good for them ( see William in Contes last year). But if you want to believe it was a bit of " All for one and one for all" then fine but I think you are  deluding yourself. 

And as for Hazard. none of us can read his mind but yes I do pin it on Sarri and I also equally pin it on Conte. I think Hazard loved this club and loved living in London . He was settled here, his kids spoke English and went to school here. Personally I think all he wanted from Chelsea was for us to be a big player. A team that matched his ambition and quality. a club that could win titles and compete in the CL.  He could of gone last season but I think he wanted to gauge how things would go here this season with Sarri. I don't think he was impressed. Around January February he probably made his decision based on the fact that CL qualification for us looked increasingly vulnerable and by no means guaranteed at that point...anything but.

The collateral damage of this season with Sarri has I believe been the loss of Hazard. The jewel in our crown that says we are a huge club that can keep huge players. We now seen happy with what a Chelsea team could  achieve the  in the late 90s pre Roman, whereas Eden wanted his final years to be brilliant and remarkable. None of us blame him do we. 

JaneB   
7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Wenger is available .

That would be worse than TFSW

Love the mullet 😉