• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

22 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Well it seems they may have (tentatively) approached better qualified people not called Lampard, none of whom wanted the job.

Who might they have been Bob? 

2 hours ago, r.bartlett said:

Manu u had an equally poor team when oli took over and they worked really well for a long time. Top 4 was very close. I fully expect FL to get the same from our players . Keeping the momentum and spirit  for a season  is the hard part. 

A long time? It was a while I agree, but then it crashed and burned with a vengeance and it hadn't been anything like as long as a whole season, which is what Frank will be starting in little more than a month.

Sciatika   

I couldn't say if it is a bad decision or not. Time will tell, I suppose. But what I do know is that they have appointed Frank and Jody and Petr, Chris and Eddie - that is the bed we shall lie in. They will bring something new. Will it be enough? Who can say? But I know they will get our support whether we think it an awesome or an awful decision because that is all we can do. All I hope is that we do not return to the sniping and bickering that characterised so much of last season.

JaneB   
46 minutes ago, Sir said:

Personally, I think it’s an awful decision. I’d be embarrassed to take the job if I was Frank.  

Frank should only feel embarrassed if he doesn't give it his best shot. 

He knows he has everything to lose. 

Bison   

Big gamble but what other options were there?

If Lampard can see out this year then the job is a completely different one next season.

If we finish between 6-8 and he integrates 3-4 academy players in the process I would consider it a successful season. 

4 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Who might they have been Bob? 

Well 'rumour' suggested that ten Hag may have been approached but said no, and are we to believe no feelers were ever put out to Alegri, who was fairly swift in saying he was taking a year out from the game?  I did say "may" in my original post. For all I know, the club may have not bothered asking anyone else and just went for Frank. Personally I really don't care who they may or may not have approached. I'm happy with Frank in the full knowledge that, along with  most managers, he will eventually get sacked.

As Leo91 said, managing/coaching a football club (especially at this level) often has more to do with the 'feel good' factor and motivation than anything else.

1 minute ago, Sciatika said:

I couldn't say if it is a bad decision or not. Time will tell, I suppose. But what I do know is that they have appointed Frank and Jody and Petr, Chris and Eddie - that is the bed we shall lie in. They will bring something new. Will it be enough? Who can say? But I know they will get our support whether we think it an awesome or an awful decision because that is all we can do. All I hope is that we do not return to the sniping and bickering that characterised so much of last season.

Well, if things don't go as swimmingly as we might hope then there will no doubt be a few "I told you so's", but I somehow think it won't be as bad as all that.

2 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Frank should only feel embarrassed if he doesn't give it his best shot. 

He knows he has everything to lose. 

No, I don't think he'll have anything to feel embarrassed about. If things go pear shaped then so be it. He gave it a shot that's all. I'm sure he won't get pilloried by the fans. Nothing like to the extent that Sarri did for finishing 3rd!

In fact, I'd like to suggest a question to the Forum here. There are I think 3 possible outcomes from next season's new venture:

1) Frank achieves "success"

2) He achieves "acceptability"

3) He proves to be a "failure"

OK then folks. What would you say are the respective benchmarks for each of those 3 possible outcomes? What would we have to finish up with at season's end?

6 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Well 'rumour' suggested that ten Hag may have been approached but said no, and are we to believe no feelers were ever put out to Alegri, who was fairly swift in saying he was taking a year out from the game?  I did say "may" in my original post. For all I know, the club may have not bothered asking anyone else and just went for Frank. Personally I really don't care who they may or may not have approached. I'm happy with Frank in the full knowledge that, along with  most managers, he will eventually get sacked.

As Leo91 said, managing/coaching a football club (especially at this level) often has more to do with the 'feel good' factor and motivation than anything else.

Yep, fair enough. The good thing for Frank is that he's only got the "embarrassment" of a failure to worry about of course. He's got loadsa money as we know and even the "embarrassment" will fade in the memory over time.

Anyway, that's all as maybe. He ain't even started yet!

9 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

People making football management out to be like nuclear fusion. At this level it's all about getting the most out of your players on a human aspect and I think an ex Chelsea legend who won it all is someone who every player will look up to.

There is much more to football than just motivation these days, to think that all is needed is somebody to come in and gee up the players is pretty naive. If it was that simple everybody would do it. I'm not denying it is a factor of course.

The top sides these days have a philosophy and spend a shed load of money to achieve it. Last season many pointed it out re Pep and Klopp how long it took to implement their style, I suspect Frank, Petr and most others aren't sure what the direction is going to be so there is definitely going to be a lot of learning on the job. Also all the sounds so far are that we won't be freezing the ban (why bother appealing?) So all of these factors have set my expectations fairly low atm, albeit buoyed by the fact Arsenal are still Arsenal and Ole and Woodward are still at the wheel.

Definitely a few years to early imo but now that it's done I'm not as disappointed (or excited) as some others just going to look forward to the season starting again. There will be some positives to look forward to with some youth players getting a shot, or if we do freeze the ban a squad overhaul, and great atmosphere at SB.