• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

My main concern is that Lampard will be taking over at a tricky time when we've just lost Hazard and are not able to strengthen the squad in the transfer market for a season.

I don't see it as a necessarily good thing that we might have to bring in academy players. Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek are exceptions to the rule. And they're both out with long-term injuries. Tammy Abraham will get a chance to impress. Not sure anyone else is really ready to step up.

Which means we're likely to be treading water for a season while our main rivals get further away.

I'm just hoping it's not going to go pear-shaped too quickly. 

It's going to be some achievement if Frank is able to replicate last season without Hazard.

He's going to need Sarri's luck and then some, too.

Leo91   

I should have phrased it better. It's not all about man management but if I had to give a percentage it's pretty big. Towards the end Sir Alexs reign at Utd he won titles with average squads. And he's not known for this tactical nous.

Tactically Franks not been afraid to made changes early. 2nd leg of the play-off semi-final away to Leeds, made a change before HT and it paid off instantly.

I think we'll be OK. Sarri with his 30 years of coaching lost 6-0 to City and 4-0 to Bournemouth away. With just 1 year experience I don't think we'll be seeing those type of results under Frank.

Going to watch the presser in full now, jesus it's still so surreal seeing him there in a suit.

Edited by Leo91

I think poor old Frank needs to get himself a philosophy to hide behind , that should give him a few trophyless years grace.

37 minutes ago, Bison said:

If we finish between 6-8 and he integrates 3-4 academy players in the process I would consider it a successful season. 

This is lunacy; we will bay for blood if we finish between 6th and 8th. And it's oddly tautological; we really do have a good chance of finishing that low if we play a load of kids. The idea that counts as 'integrating' and so serves a purpose is magical thinking; it just follows that you win less when you play less good players. 

I'm neither fiercely for or against Lampard being appointed, but I have read and heard (here and elsewhere) a lot of self-delusion about how we'll feel if we have a crap season. 

Previous manager 'integrated' a few youth products while finishing 3rd and winning a trophy, and as a fan base we still weren't happy...

Edited by thevelourfog

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think poor old Frank needs to get himself a philosophy to hide behind , that should give him a few trophyless years grace.

Big pre match group hug and send the lads out with a slap of the backside should do it

Leo91   

He doesn't use a notebook does he..

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

This is lunacy; we will bay for blood if we finish between 6th and 8th. And it's oddly tautological; we really do have a good chance of finishing that low if we play a load of kids. The idea that counts as 'integrating' and so serves a purpose is magical thinking; it just follows that you win less when you play less good players. 

I'm neither fiercely for or against Lampard being appointed, but I have read and heard (here and elsewhere) a lot of self-delusion about how we'll feel if we have a crap season. 

Previous manager 'integrated' a few youth products while finishing 3rd and winning a trophy, and as a fan base we still weren't happy...

Yes, but they weren't Frank and I do think that'll make a difference. Added to that, the transfer embargo and the departure of Hazard are major impediments that he's inheriting.

Mind you, I'm not saying that Frank's reputation amongst the fans should make a difference tp how he's evaluated, only that I feel it will do.

Leo91   

The previous manager was also stubborn and played square pegs in round holes. We'll be there or thereabouts. 

Bison   
9 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Not sure if you're aware but we've lost our biggest source of goals. Hazard either scored or assisted 49% of our league goals last year. He was by far our most influential player - nobody else in the team comes even close to his level of play and productivity.

We are going to fall off quite a fair bit and 6-8 is about as good as it'll get with this current squad.

I can't believe the negativity of some people here.  They're reacting as though we've brought in Roberto Martinez, Tony Pulis or Sam Allardyce.  Who else is there out there?  Name names.  And finally, don't be a plank, back Frank!