• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

I still would have liked Terry in there somewhere in a good cop bad cop way 

Bison   
18 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

The season will be tough and some fans will want blood.  Since they won't turn on SFL and RA is not to be seen, they are bond to turn on Marina.  Not for the first team either.  It is a brave chose from her point of view.

Frank talks like a media expert already.  I wouldn't take a word he says as genuine (which is fine by me).  I'd be very surprised is he playce our young players much at all, and my bet is that only one new player, probably Tammy, will be a full squad member by September.  So Tammy, Christensen, CHO and RLC, and everyone else, including Ampadu off on loan.

LOL!

19 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

This is what makes me think it's not just 'sentimentality' on the part of an owner not known to tolerate even minor 'failures'

It's possibly something he's wanted to do for a while, and whilst not as ideal as possible, the planets have almost aligned themselves in order to allow him to bring in former players in important positions.

If so its long overdue, The club has needed to evolve for a while, Rather the 1st team has needed to align with the rest of the club.

Think we tend forget its been a learning curve (and EXPENSIVE) for Roman as well, as you say never a perfect time maybe just a window of opportunity

its not going to hurt the club with this sort of re-inforcement from Cech

“Arsene [Wenger] is a real gentleman. As much as he hates losing, he stays a gentleman.
“If you lose, you win, you lose, you win, he kind of carries on. That’s something I’ve never experienced before.
“At Chelsea at the times when we drew, it felt like a funeral in the dressing room. It was so bad. If we drew against a big team at home, it was like: ‘Oh no, it is impossible we didn’t win at home.’
“It came from everywhere: the players, the coach. Since the start when I was there, the pressure was there every game.”

Not sure where to put this, but as it's the most read thread at the moment and the photo also features our new head coach...

Arjen Robben has announced his retirement

Screenshot_2019-07-04 Chelsea FC on Twitter Wishing former Blue, ArjenRobben, all the very best in his retirement What a pl[...].jpg

28 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

I still would have liked Terry in there somewhere in a good cop bad cop way 

I think that JT is well placed where he is, from his new point of view. Frank has got first shot at the job, which is an advantage because he can lay claim to it of course. But should things awry, then JT will have another season working as the assistant to the manager who got the better of Frank in the play-off final, this time in the PL, which would do his own stock value no harm at all.

Edited by PeteRobbo

Arjen Robben was an absolutely brilliant player for us between 2004-2006.  His final season with us was poor, and he also had a mediocre time at Real Madrid, but at Bayern Munich he returned to top form once again.  Good luck to him on his retirement, a top man and a top player.

Edited by blueandproud

52 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

The season will be tough and some fans will want blood.  Since they won't turn on SFL and RA is not to be seen, they are bond to turn on Marina.  Not for the first team either.  It is a brave chose from her point of view.

Frank talks like a media expert already.  I wouldn't take a word he says as genuine (which is fine by me).  I'd be very surprised is he playce our young players much at all, and my bet is that only one new player, probably Tammy, will be a full squad member by September.  So Tammy, Christensen, CHO and RLC, and everyone else, including Ampadu off on loan.

Ahh poor old Marina, I bet there's not a top club around that wouldnt consider her for her negotiating skills much maligned and unfairly.  I mean 8 million for Papy Djilobodji ! She needs a statue at the Bridge.

No point intergrating youth if they are all on loan, Can see Ampadu, James and Mount staying, poss not Tomori that may depend on what happens with Zouma

1 hour ago, Bison said:

LOL!

I think DWMH was suggesting Tammy, Christensen, CHO and RLC will be part of the squad... all the remaining loan army will go out on loan again, including Ampadu.

Leo91   

Ampadu needs a loan for sure. Zoumas a tough one. he's too good to be hanging around on the bench. And with Christensen as competition for 3rd CB he might as well forget about it. We really didn't need to sign Rudiger when we had Kurt as they share the same abilities. But that ship has sailed now. 

3 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

In fact, I'd like to suggest a question to the Forum here. There are I think 3 possible outcomes from next season's new venture:

1) Frank achieves "success"

2) He achieves "acceptability"

3) He proves to be a "failure"

OK then folks. What would you say are the respective benchmarks for each of those 3 possible outcomes? What would we have to finish up with at season's end?

I'm going to have another shot at getting y'all to have a go at this.

Last season, the divisive Maurizio, despite all of his alleged shortcomings, led us to 3rd place in the PL, albeit 20 points behind the team in 2nd place.

He also led us to a European Trophy win and a very creditable runners-up slot in the Caribou cup, where we lost to the dominant Citeh only on penalties.

This was deemed dreadful by many on here. The 3rd place in the PL was derided because, many claimed, we only finished 3rd because the teams below us were worse, ignoring the very obvious point that that is always the case every season. Nevertheless we have a yardstick to aim at with respect to the PL. I'm going to ignore the other 2 trophies from last season because:

a) We're in a different and much harder European trophy next season and the comparison would therefore be unfair.

b) It's easier to leave out the domestic cup competitions too, because the degree of difficulty is inextricably tied to the strength of the teams you get drawn against.

So that leaves us with a possible comparison on our bread and butter competition, the PL. Last season we finished 3rd, although 20 points adrift of Liverpool in 2nd. So let's try to have a stab at what sort of finishing position might match that in Frank's first year in the job.

The first thing to bear in mind is that Sarri had Hazard and now he's gone. Does that make a difference? Obviously it does, particularly since we would appear to have major difficulties with respect to coming up with a halfway decent replacement.

So our question now becomes, (taking the finishing position only and ignoring the number of points we finished behind Liverpool), what position would Frank take us to for you to regard his achievement as being equal to that of Sarri? Relating to my suggested standards of my previous post, what would be  a successful season? What would be an acceptable season and what would be regarded as something of a failure?

My own feelings are that:

1) If we finish in the top 4 then that would be a major success of a season and, given the fact that we have lost Hazard,  better than Sarri's achievement.

2) If we finish below 4th but at worst 6th then that would be acceptable

3) If we finish out of the top 6 then that would be disappointing and something of a failure 

These 3 estimates of mine own are nothing more than a starter for 10 so to speak.

Anybody else like to have a go?

Edited by PeteRobbo