• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Frank Lampard Appointed Chelsea Head Coach

Bison   
39 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

That post is very different to the previous one. 

1. I don't think any fans will be raging. The fans (real fans, not iditos on twitter) will appreciate that last season we made top 4 by only 2 points and now we have lost our best player and we can't buy anyone (although we have bought Kovacic and Pulisic). I think most "fans" will realise that obtainng top 4 is going to be VERY difficult. 

2. Saying we we will struggle for top 4 is very different to saying we are going to score less goals than 2 of the relegated sides from last season. It is ridiuculous hyperbole

3. You can get 500/1 on us getting relegated. Go for it. 

They conceded 69 and 81 goals. We won't (I hope anyway) concede those kind of numbers.

Our non-Hazard goals last season:

Pedro - 8

RLC - 6

Morata & Higuain - 5

Kante - 4

Luiz, Willian & Barkley - 3

Jorginho, Alonso & Giroud - 2

Rudiger & Azpilicueta - 1

It's going to be a rough year. Good luck, Frank.

Edited by Bison

paulw66   
Just now, Bison said:

They conceded 69 and 81 goals. We won't (I hope anyway) concede those kind of numbers.

Our non-Hazard goals last season:

Pedro - 8

RLC - 6

Morata & Higuain - 5

Kante - 4

Luiz, Willian & Barkley - 3

Jorginho, Alonso & Giroud - 2

Rudiger & Azpilicueta - 1

36 in total.

It's going to be a rough year. Good luck, Frank.

one assumes that someone else will play instead of Hazard, and that person might score more than 0. Let's say Pulisic gets a fairly modest 5 goals, we are already on 41! 

Bison   
1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

one assumes that someone else will play instead of Hazard, and that person might score more than 0. Let's say Pulisic gets a fairly modest 5 goals, we are already on 41! 

Pulisic has 19 career league goals. If he scores 5 next season it'll be a huge year for him!

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Don't be ridiculous... we'll be going into every game with just 10 men! 😉

Bison   
5 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Don't be ridiculous... we'll be going into every game with just 10 men! 😉

It will probably feel like that...

D-slk_eXsAA1yTV.jpg:large

chelboy   

I don’t think it is a straightforward thing to say we will score a certain amount of goals. Who knows how Lampard will set up this season ,I see him being more flexible  with different formations and combinations.

Without Hazard we drop in quality in the final third but I think last season system was heavily based on play down our left hand side which made us even more reliant on Hazard. Also many games we played with 3 defensive midfielders who have low scoring averages. It is hard to judge exactly how good our attacking play can be under Lamps. He might find a system that plays more direct and gets more numbers in the box something similar to Liverpool. Truth is we don’t really have a proper quality playmaker anymore now that Hazard left so I think Lamps would make adjustments to our style. 

xCELERYx   
2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

That emboldened bit is some of the most terrifying corporate speak I have ever seen. 

The 'supporter base' was largely fine with Sarri, tbh; the 'f**k Sarriball' chant never got going in a meaningful way at Stamford Bridge and games sold out as ever, and there was a constant back and forth here and elsewhere online that you don't get if the 'supporter base' has consensus. We too often mistake loud voices with numerous, majority voices.

And what the 'supporter base' wants as it's highest context is victories and trophies; in anything but the most short of short terms, they will not settle for anything else. That's not a criticism. It anything, I'm happy with that. That has been our identity, and that is what marks out from, say, Arsenal or Spurs. 

I don't mean to be dismissive about where fans come from, but it really is a myth that what the fans think or how they act has much of an impact on the club or performances. Stamford Bridge is rarely a cauldron of noise, but we usually win there. The warm, fluffy feeling of having Lampard back home (which again, I also have) is going to have at most the most negligible impact on performances and results. How good a coach he is and what players he has to work with (big emphasis on the former over the latter) is what matters. 

The part I was more focused on wasn't the 'f**k sarriball' tosh, it was more the fact that Sarri had absolutely zero affinity with the fan base or an interest to even try and be engaging. 

For me, that instantly sets a negative tone. That heightened as the poor performances begun and the stale nature of our play. The icing on the cake was the dismissive nature he showed when failing to applaud the supporters for their efforts over the season, then going on to thank the Napoli supporters after winning the Europa League. 

Sarri reaped what you sow with that sort of ****. F**k him. Glad he's gone and I'm whole heartedly behind someone who actually gives a ****. 

10 minutes ago, chelboy said:

I don’t think it is a straightforward thing to say we will score a certain amount of goals. Who knows how Lampard will set up this season ,I see him being more flexible  with different formations and combinations.

Without Hazard we drop in quality in the final third but I think last season system was heavily based on play down our left hand side which made us even more reliant on Hazard. Also many games we played with 3 defensive midfielders who have low scoring averages. It is hard to judge exactly how good our attacking play can be under Lamps. He might find a system that plays more direct and gets more numbers in the box something similar to Liverpool. Truth is we don’t really have a proper quality playmaker anymore now that Hazard left so I think Lamps would make adjustments to our style. 

Indeed.

Yes, we'll miss Hazard's goals and assists, but we might end up playing a style whereupon we stop taking quite so many short corners that end up going nowhere, and with wingers that get to the byline and fire in crosses into the box where 3 or 4 Chelsea players are waiting to score. We don't have a Drogba or a Costa, so it's stupid to continue (two full seasons since the last one left) playing as if we do!

7 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

The part I was more focused on wasn't the 'f**k sarriball' tosh, it was more the fact that Sarri had absolutely zero affinity with the fan base or an interest to even try and be engaging. 

For me, that instantly sets a negative tone. That heightened as the poor performances begun and the stale nature of our play. The icing on the cake was the dismissive nature he showed when failing to applaud the supporters for their efforts over the season, then going on to thank the Napoli supporters after winning the Europa League. 

Sarri reaped what you sow with that sort of ****. F**k him. Glad he's gone and I'm whole heartedly behind someone who actually gives a ****. 

Just something I noticed but when he lifted up the EL trophy he turned to his right. Normally you lift it straight ahead . Where were the Chelsea founds who had made a 5k round trip...to his right? I'm assuming so? Its always niggled and bothered me. Someone put my mind at rest.  

Holymoly   

I'm a bit dismayed with Droy and his ilk who seem hell bent on trying to convince everyone that SFL is the devil's spawn who is not fit to lace the boots of Dave Sexton. Unfortunately they fail to accept that football has moved on over the last 15 years. You no longer appoint a manager that stands on the side of the training pitch, woodbine hanging from bitter lips as he yells profanities at local football heros. Those days are long gone. The modern football club is made up of a plethora of nationalities, all with their own upbringing and beliefs of how to train for football matches. The players earn far more than the management team, and even the board. They are no longer the oppressed masses under the bootheel of a manager that tells them exactly what to do. Indeed there is no longer a "manager" as such. They are a head coach. A head coach that has a team of other coaches all with their specialities. The role of such an individual now is to coax and cajole the players. Yes they need to decide on initial tactics but more importantly they need to develop within the players an ability to vary the tactics during the game in order to deal with the ebb and flow of a football match. He has to be able to keep a large squad both happy if not playing, as well as sufficiently fit if they are called on at any time.

The football "manager" is no longer the grizzled old despot who has seen everything and done it all with  half a bottle of whisky in his desk drawer. The modern "manager" has to be a man manager who can lead the squad with his charisma and belief and I believe Frank Lampard is as good a choice as any. Droy and his buddies aside the team will have the full backing of the supporters who are prepared to accept pretty much anything as long as the players play with heart and belief. Zidane seemed to drag Madrid to success with little other than the aura of being who he was. Hopefully Frank has more than just that and I wish him every success.

• Like 1