• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Official: Frank Lampard Sacked As Chelsea Head Coach

1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

My fear is Lamps is going to stay lost between 2 systems with a bunch of players who don't compliment each other, and it'll cost him his job; more importantly it'll leave us behind the competition by a fair way with expensive players on high wages we simply can't afford to let go.

yeah - certainly a lot of confusion and mixed messages.  
His job is gone anyway.  I think he wants to be replaced, though he is not saying it obvs.
Not sure RLC and Barkley were moved out because of style issues, basically neither were good enough for 2 seasons running, and both play the same role as Mount and or Havertz.
Plus of course they were in that removable group - good enough to be in the first 16 at a PL club but not for us.  We have a bunch of non-loanees who can't be moved on so easily.

I also question whether it is Lampard caught between two systems in his mind or the team caught between two systems with little or no guidance from the manager.
Stick Jorginho and Rudiger in and they play it around the back as if they had at a bare minimum rehearsed it.  Replace them with Kante and Zouma and they look like they barely know each other - but still play the same system.   
My question is do we try to play Sarriball (farting around at the back) because Frank demands it or because it was the last thing any of them were coached to do.  (Last season I thought the first, this season and I am beginning to suspect the second).

1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

Build-up/tactical players who play the game at a slower pace with more thought-out moves and touches on the ball.

vs

Then we come onto our direct style players, who are quicker in transition between defence and attack; and play with more instinct than possession based -

That is part of it.  But I think there is also a pinball vs one man advance.  Fast multi-pass football (best played with 1 or 2 touches) where suddenly opportunities happen.  And perhaps what you call instinctive, but I would say relying on individuals to create things, and allowing them as many touches as they need.
team patterns vs solo efforts.

11 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Particularly on here!

11 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think he wants to be replaced, though he is not saying it obvs.

Maybe he's not 'saying it' because it's not what he wants? Just a thought.

This is from Karen Carney's interview on the BBC web site:

"Chelsea need to give Frank Lampard more time.

They knew he was only in his second year as a manager when he joined the club so at some point, there was going to be a period when there were challenges.

This is one of those periods, with Saturday's gritty 1-0 win over Fulham only their second Premier League victory in seven games. And on Tuesday they travel to in-form Leicester City, who are third in the table, four places and six points above the Blues.

When Lampard came in there wasn't any expectation. He had a smaller squad, he had lost Eden Hazard and there was a transfer ban. He could only work with the group of players he had.

That only got them so far. In order to compete, they needed to invest more money in better players. Lampard has done that - so now there is definitely a different expectation.

When you are given a war chest, there's a demand to get results. Expectation shifts but sometimes it doesn't happen as quickly as you would like. You have to be patient, believe in that someone and trust they will come through in the end.

When Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola came in, he spent a load of money but didn't win anything in his first season. It takes time to add culture.

The players Lampard has brought in are young and from abroad, and they need time to adapt to the Premier League and a Covid-19 world.

It's been such a tough year for everybody but in a football context, you can see how it might have affected performances - some of them have suffered from illness, they can't see their friends and they can't see their families so it's completely unfamiliar territory. So are we being a little bit harsh? Yes, I think so.

2 1.82 11% 8 18
2020-21 18 7 1.17 1.83 13.7% 7  

Every team has had peaks and troughs this season, but everybody is having them at different periods.

Manchester City picked up just two wins from their opening five league games, while Manchester United suffered defeats by Crystal Palace and Tottenham at the start. Liverpool are going through a little bit of a tough period now. Chelsea just need to come through theirs.

Lampard hasn't had time yet to embed these new players and allow them to fit in because he had a much shorter pre-season.

Everybody else has had the same issues but the managers at the other big clubs have been there longer so already have a culture built.

Guardiola (February 2016) and Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp (October 2015) have had several seasons with their teams, while Manchester United's Ole Gunnar Solksjaer and Leicester's Brendan Rodgers were both brought in for the second half of the 2018-19 seasons.

People might say Lampard has stuck with those news signings for too long. But is he the first manager to do that in an attempt to give those players confidence? No. Did Sadio Mane and Kevin de Bruyne get into teams and rock the world at the start? Probably not.

Last season, I saw snippets of Lampard's style that I liked. He introduced the young players and installed that belief in them. His side were playing football through the thirds, on the floor and getting into good areas out wide. I like his attack-minded intent.

My concern was that sometimes they were too open. Chelsea felt more likely to win a game 4-3 than see one out at 2-0. Set-pieces were an issue too, but that is something they have improved on this season.

Chelsea dominate games now, and they create chances, but they still don't take them as well as other teams. They are missing a cutting edge, a ruthlessness and a winning mentality which other sides around them have shown.

Those teams that win titles know what their best XI is and have consistency with that. Lampard hasn't really had that.

When he gets that consistency, it's then about bringing those young players and that new talent together to get a winning mentality. That's the hardest bit but it's part of the process.

It needs time and Lampard should be given it."

Karen Carney was speaking to BBC Sport's Emma Sanders.

This is pretty much where I stand on Frank and is an insight into why some performances are not quite where we want them to be.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

His job is gone anyway.  I think he wants to be replaced, though he is not saying it obvs

🤣

Stop it ! You really should be on stage.

^^ it is a simple apology for failure.  

55 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

"Every team has had peaks and troughs this season, but everybody is having them at different periods."

We really haven't.  We have been amazingly consistent.  So incredibly consistent it stinks.

57 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

"Chelsea dominate games now, and they create chances, but they still don't take them as well as other teams. They are missing a cutting edge, a ruthlessness and a winning mentality which other sides around them have shown."

Which is kind of odd, because despite all the talk about Tammy and Werner, actually we have scored more than our XG, which usually means better than average finishing.  
What we are not good at it seems is scoring when we need to score.  On xPTS we are second in the table*.  

But certainly we miss a ruthlessness and winning mentality.

*Still haven't found a clear definition of xPTS or a methodology, but it does imply we are getting fewer points out of games than chances either end would imply.
It was the same last year, but neutral in 17/18 and 18/19, while we got massively more points that xPTS in 16/17 - which matches my feeling at the time that I really couldn't understand how we were winning so often while hardly ever dominating.

GURJ SS   
19 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

His job is gone anyway.  I think he wants to be replaced, though he is not saying it obvs.
Not sure RLC and Barkley were moved out because of style issues, basically neither were good enough for 2 seasons running, and both play the same role as Mount and or Havertz.
Plus of course they were in that removable group - good enough to be in the first 16 at a PL club but not for us.  We have a bunch of non-loanees who can't be moved on so easily.

I also question whether it is Lampard caught between two systems in his mind or the team caught between two systems with little or no guidance from the manager.
Stick Jorginho and Rudiger in and they play it around the back as if they had at a bare minimum rehearsed it.  Replace them with Kante and Zouma and they look like they barely know each other - but still play the same system.   
My question is do we try to play Sarriball (farting around at the back) because Frank demands it or because it was the last thing any of them were coached to do.  (Last season I thought the first, this season and I am beginning to suspect the second).

That is part of it.  But I think there is also a pinball vs one man advance.  Fast multi-pass football (best played with 1 or 2 touches) where suddenly opportunities happen.  And perhaps what you call instinctive, but I would say relying on individuals to create things, and allowing them as many touches as they need.
team patterns vs solo efforts.

I'd normally agree with his job is gone already, but I think there's a few factors around the club of knowing his inexperience, and him being a club legend. I think until the end of the season the club won't make any sort of decisions, and possibly will look at the squad too and base their decision off that. I think our team has far too many issues from the starting line-up to the players on the bench, we have an overload of developing players who would simply be dropped if a new manager's main expectations were to win silverware.

I think Barkley and RLC weren't too bad, Barkley was the better of the two though and RLC really needs to step his ambition up. My issue last season was the role they were expected to play, it almost seems like Lamps is trying to shoehorn a player into what I can only describe as bizarre - the player drifts between the space from one box to the other but doesn't really enter either box with purpose, also they don't drop deep to collect the ball but doesn't look to get on the end of anything on a consistent basis. Just a bizarre floating role that has no impact in the team's performance other than a negative at times.

I think it's a bit of both with Lamps and the players being caught between two systems, but I do believe it's the personnel and their abilities too. For example Klopp had a moan about Tiago slowing the game down for Liverpool the other day, yet he chose to bring a player in like him to get on the ball and play more indirect. Lamps style of signings are confusing, because when we can't break through by being indirect he brings on Odoi, takes off Jorge, and goes direct; almost as if his plan B is better than his plan A.

I think because of our defensive issues over recent years the players are worried at times to give the ball away, so they end up just keeping it at the back and away from a possible counter attack situation. I think if we had a better defence and 2 'proper' CMs (Kova is our only real one), or an all-rounder DM we'd instantly be far more confident with moving the ball forward quickly.

I think the issue is that if the likes of Ziyech and Havertz get on the ball then that particular move has to be a patient build-up, which means Pulisic and Mount are now playing against their natural game, if we go direct then the former 2 are now pretty much out the game unless they're trying to play a long ball from a deep position with direct style long ball; it's just not their style of ability to break forward with speed and intent.

11 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

I'd normally agree with his job is gone already, but I think there's a few factors around the club of knowing his inexperience, and him being a club legend. I think until the end of the season the club won't make any sort of decisions, and possibly will look at the squad too and base their decision off that. I think our team has far too many issues from the starting line-up to the players on the bench, we have an overload of developing players who would simply be dropped if a new manager's main expectations were to win silverware.

I'm not sure inexperience of being a club legend really counts in his favour (except for fans).
He got brutally moved on in 2014 when we went trophy hunting, as did Ashley Cole, while Cech got put on the bench.
The club dealt with JT much the same way in 2016.

We are in it for the trophies.

Certainly it is unclear what the manager is trying to do style wise to us fans.  Isuspect the players have little more idea than we do.