• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Official: Frank Lampard Sacked As Chelsea Head Coach

asvaberg   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Pretty sure John Neal resigned because of illness.

Quite right, Sir (as very often from you when it comes to CFC history)

"Neal retired at the end of the 1984–85 season due to ill-health and underwent heart surgery in 1986. After retirement as Chelsea manager in June 1985 he was appointed to the Chelsea Board of Directors"

Edited by asvaberg

bONes   

In all his recent interviews Lamps keeps saying that all was well in December.

No it was not! Right from the start of this season we looked out of shape. Our first game against Brighton event - no idea how we won 1-3

• Like 1

Jasonb   

Yes that match against Brighton was a strange one.

I actually thought we we were going ok until November and then the results went downhill.

• Like 1

asvaberg   
48 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Yes that match against Brighton was a strange one.

I actually thought we we were going ok until November and then the results went downhill.

"Something happened in Krasnodar"

Before Krasnodar (all competitions):

W-L-W-D-D-W-D-D-D-W-W-W-W-W-W-D-W-W-D

11-7-1

Unbeaten run of 17 - seventeen! - games (penalty shootout League cup lost not counted - the 90min match ended with a draw)

win rate: 57,9%

After Krasnodar (all competitions):

L-L-W-L-D-L-W-W-L

3-1-5

win rate: 33,3%

Yes, I know the fixtures are very different before/after, but note that we did play teams like Sevilla, Rennes, Liverpool, ManUtd, Southampton, Tottenham before Krasndoar

Something did happen - was it a collective form decline? Was it something else (Frank vs. Jorginho quarrel ??). Or simply coincidence?

Edited by asvaberg

15 hours ago, bONes said:

In all his recent interviews Lamps keeps saying that all was well in December.

No it was not! Right from the start of this season we looked out of shape. Our first game against Brighton event - no idea how we won 1-3

There were some good performances in there. 

If you're searching for consistently good performances from the start of the season till now, who can you realistically say have been doing that?

City only developed consistency in late November. Liverpool are rubbish at the moment. Tottenham are up and down -  Arsenal too. Leicester as well had some losses in there. United? Well, I looked at the United game yesterday and they're still pretty much a very well organized and drilled side with a very clear plan - but nothing silky or spectacular as City are right now.

paulw66   
24 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

"Something happened in Krasnodar"

Before Krasnodar (all competitions):

W-L-W-D-D-W-D-D-D-W-W-W-W-W-W-D-W-W-D

11-7-1

Unbeaten run of 17 - seventeen! - games (penalty shootout League cup lost not counted - the 90min match ended with a draw)

win rate: 57,9%

After Krasnodar (all competitions):

L-L-W-L-D-L-W-W-L

3-1-5

win rate: 33,3%

Yes, I know the fixtures are very different before/after, but note that we did play teams like Sevilla, Rennes, Liverpool, ManUtd, Southampton, Tottenham before Krasndoar

Something did happen - was it a collective form decline? Was it something else (Frank vs. Jorginho quarrel ??). Or simply coincidence?

I'm not sure what your point is. Of those games listed, we won 3 out of 8. 

2 wins against Rennes (one involved two penalties and an appalling red card) and 1 against Seville reserves. 

Quite simply, the fixtures got tougher

asvaberg   
14 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Maybe, partly.

I think we had a pretty tough fixture with 3 competitions "before Krasnodar".

Yes, some of the opponents were easier, but there is never a free lunch - hard work in 90 minutes.

And I haven't seen that since, after Krasnodar, maybe except for the win home against West Ham.

1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

1.  There were some good performances in there. 

2.  If you're searching for consistently good performances from the start of the season till now, who can you realistically say have been doing that?

Name one.
The only one I can remember was Leeds, but they since have been rubbish, so I suspect we were kidding ourselves there.

2. Quite - other clubs were misfiring.  Sometimes good sometimes well below their potential.

We have been consistently poor throughout - wins against rubbish teams or not.
That is why people like me have been pointing out our inability to score against good teams, let alone beat them.

bert19   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I'm not sure what your point is. Of those games listed, we won 3 out of 8. 

2 wins against Rennes (one involved two penalties and an appalling red card) and 1 against Seville reserves. 

We were definitely playing better though.  No doubt we've played some better sides since the end of the unbeaten run, but we've also played some crap/mediocre sides like Arsenal, Krasnodar and even Everton at the time we played them.  Think of that run in October/November, we were playing with a lot more purpose and aggression all over the pitch, creating chances, trying to get at teams (most of the time).  All of that has disappeared since the Leeds game.  I think the second half of that match is the last time we got close to playing well.  

It's not so much the defeats (though they're obviously a combination of annoying, preventable and unacceptable), it's the way we've played.  Arsenal are a crap side.  Even with this little run they're on, they've got the underbelly made of tissue paper and we just handed them the game.  Leicester are clearly a decent side, but the whimper we started with there set the tone.  City are great and turned on the style, but we made ourselves so easy to play against.  We're not doing things that stop the opposition beating us.  When you're struggling, going back to basics often isn't a bad idea.

I'm not going to sit here and say we've been great this season, but we were progressing and doing ok before the first week of December and something has gone majorly wrong since. 

In the past, I'd wonder if the players have downed tools but I really don't think that's happened here.  They largely look lost, low on confidence and have the air of a group that are being asked to play in a way they know won't work and don't know what they're supposed to do when it doesn't.  The City game they looked like they knew the game plan wouldn't work, it didn't and then it seemed like we had 11 players just trying to do what they thought was right as individuals, rather than there being an actual plan.  11 guys with 11 different ideas.  We were fortunate that game didn't finish 6-0 tbh. 

There are a couple like Kovacic and Rudiger that just don't look like they're very bothered, but largely I think the others are just not sure of their roles or not being deployed in a manner that accentuates their positive attributes.  (Ziyech looks like he gives zero F***s too, but he always looks like that whenever I've seen him, so not sure that means anything). 

What worries me most though is that Frank is doing what crap managers do when they're heading towards the sack.  He's got a plan that clearly isn't working, but he's not showing any willingness to change it up.  Just sticking to the same thing. The 4-3-3 has been failing for more than 10 games.  Why are we still playing it? We don't have a proper DM, so why haven't we tried a double pivot in front of the back four, a midifled diamond, 4-3-1-2? Anything is worth a go now surely? At least we mind find out something new by trying a different formation.  

I think we need to win convincingly on Sunday and get at least two wins and a draw from the 3 league games after (with a marked improvement in performance level to go with it).  One more loss during that time and Frank's out I reckon. It would be a big shame, I can't think of many people that I'd want to succeed in the role more than him, but it may be important in terms of his legacy for this not to continue if this regression isn't halted.

7 minutes ago, bert19 said:

We were definitely playing better though.  No doubt we've played some better sides since the end of the unbeaten run, but we've also played some crap/mediocre sides like Arsenal, Krasnodar and even Everton at the time we played them.

I think Arsenal were always stronger than we pretend, they are only 2 points behind us now and I feel sure they will do better as the season goes on.
Everton are 3 points ahead of us with 2 games in hand.  Better than us.
The only team I can say we have really done badly (as in worse than average) against was the Krasnodar 1-1 at home.
image.png.ca9e3698516965544364c0545158b871.png

That was very different to the first team at the time (even Rudiger and Abraham were being benched at that moment).  I should think quite a few of them were unmotivated.