• Current Donation Goals

Leo91   

How did we play it with no wingers ?

chara   
7 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Sorry..what's a winger?...ex Arse coach?

7 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

... Tomori [.... ] Looks to be a better footballer than Zooma... better touch, better passer.

As expected from a Chelsea academy product.

Given his successful season under Lampard, There’s more than a fair chance that he’ll make the final squad ahead of Zouma notwithstanding Zouma’s Premier league experience. Either way, a difficult decision. 

Edited by MikelBlue
Typo

xCELERYx   
2 hours ago, Leo91 said:

442 narrow diamond.  No need for wide players in such a formation, but makes use of the depth we have in midfield. 

kev61   
8 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Chelsea beat St Patrick's Athletic for Frank Lampard's first win

Olivier Giroud, one of 11 half-time changes, turned home Kenedy's "cross".

That's what Giroud does! he scores from 'crosses'(mostly) wasted otherwise unless you play a player that can feed off him like Pedro.

12 hours ago, tizerist said:

It's good that he tried that 4-4-2. For too long Chelsea managers have all but dismissed it, even in friendlies

Be interesting to see if Lampard considers a front 2 in a competitive match. I'm trying to think of the last time a Chelsea manager started with a front 2 in a serious game. 

14 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Maybe you'd be more productive if you worked in tandem with someone who complemented your skills ?

I'm pretty good at my job, and you're right that a big part of that is having lots of talented people around me. But they are, to use your word, working in 'tandem' with me. They are not doing the bits of my of my job description that I can't do. They have their own jobs. 

If we really stretch the simile, then maybe there is an argument to be had... We've drastically under-invested in attacking, creative and wing-based positions in the last few years, and our strikers haven't had what they have needed 'in tandem' with them to really make a go of it. Perhaps you could argue that what Bats needs is better players making the chances, and definitely at least more of them. But I think any argument that he'd be better if there was someone else to do all the other lone striker work that is, at least right now, pretty basic across styles and systems... I think that works better as a criticism of him than a compliment or defence. 

Personally, I like Bats as a character and a finisher. But I've seen enough to think he's not good enough for where we are or want to be. 

34 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Be interesting to see if Lampard considers a front 2 in a competitive match. I'm trying to think of the last time a Chelsea manager started with a front 2 in a serious game. 

From his post-match interview, it sounds like he will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH5inxY_qlg

Edited by My Blood Is Blue

19 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

From his post-match interview, it sounds like he will.

So on the one hand we don't have one striker good enough to deserve regular starts as yet, and on the other we have no AMs that good either.

Assuming 4132 is one of the game plans, then Pedro, Willian, Barkley, RLC, Mount,  Kenedy and I guess Pulisic could all play in the three.  Possibly not Palmer and the one that would look most out of place would be CHO.
But the real problem would be a shortage of CFs.  Giroud, Tammy and Bats is 3 for 2 starting places and a presumed sub.  I think only Pedro of the others could find a natural way of playing as a twin striker unless Pulisic surprises me.

So I conclude that 2 up front will be one option of at least two with 1 up front being used at least as often.

Transfer ban:  SFL pretty much announced the transfer ban in the interview above.  Not seen it said till now, although he made a cryptic comment some days ago.  A very odd way for the club to announce something, but I guess I have to accept it as happening now.  Tough season for Frank ahead.  And for whoever he picks too.

22 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Personally, I like Bats as a character and a finisher. But I've seen enough to think he's not good enough for where we are or want to be. 

I don't think anyone thinks of Bats as our future number 9 but this season we have to work with what we have. If we count out Morata we have Tammy, Giroud and Bats . If Lamps is going for a front two we could chuck Pedro into the mix or even Alonso, but Bats is not a bad option imo in a front 2. 

As an aside the last 2 forwards I remember to work well in tandem and compliment each others strengths and weaknesses were Dixon and Speedie. Although Drogba sometimes worked well with a partner even though he had no weaknesses. 

• Like 1