• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

St. Patricks 0 Chelsea FC 4

9 minutes ago, Ham said:

What are you basing your assessment of Pulisic on? I didn't think you watched the bundesliga. I'd be surprised if you followed the USMNT. 

I don't even know what the USMNT is :)

I just meant that those 5 are possibles.  It is quite possible that any of those 5 prove themselves to be ready to start for us in the next two months.  Probably that a few will be ready in 2 or 3 years.  I wouldn't count on any of them as of know.  Any more than I would have counted on Kepa or Jorginho before the season started last year.

Tell me, how confident are you about the 20 year old as of today?

Edited by Droy was my hero

Ham   
1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

I don't even know what the USMNT is :)

I just meant that those 5 are possibles.  It is quite possible that any of those 5 prove themselves to be ready to start for us in the next two months.  Probably that a few will be ready in 2 or 3 years.  I wouldn't count on any of them as of know.  Any more than I would have counted on Kepa or Jorginho before the season started last year.

Tell me, how confident are you about the 20 year old as of today?

From what I've seen, heard and read he seems to be a prodigious talent.  Putting his age aside I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do.  I don't think he's far off where Hazard was whilst at Lille.  I'd say the bundesliga last year was stronger than Ligue 1 7 years ago. 

20 minutes ago, Ham said:

From what I've seen, heard and read he seems to be a prodigious talent.  Putting his age aside I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do.  I don't think he's far off where Hazard was whilst at Lille.  I'd say the bundesliga last year was stronger than Ligue 1 7 years ago. 

Good to hear.  To be fair to Hazard he had had 3 good seasons already at Lille.  And making the step up to the prem at 20-22 is tough - Lukaku, Salah and KdB all found the move to the prem tough in their first year or two.  
I'm not writing Pulisic off, anymore than I am writing one of my favourites, Tammy off, or CHO off, or even in the long run Christensen.
I'm just saying I won't be counting on them to make a big difference for next season, and if they do it will be a bonus.

Bison   
3 hours ago, Ham said:

You are right to say Pulisic isn't far off where Hazard was at Lille simply because that would be an understatement. He is a million miles off.

Hazard was the best player in France for 2-3 years before arriving at Chelsea. Pulisic isn't close to that level - not now and probably not ever.

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

The trouble is , Giroud is great as the hold up guy but not so great as the goal scoring guy , Bats is a goal scoring guy but can't be the hold up guy . Playing both of them gives you a hold up guy and a goal scoring guy which is better than nothing .

Can get that, but if I quote myself... 

4 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I don't disagree that we'll get more out of Bats in a two. I guess though I wonder about where we'll have to lose a player to have two up top, and what the consequences of that will be. Pains of an unbalanced squad, I guess. 

Two up top because neither can do one man's job just means the job not being done shifts to somewhere else on the pitch. It isn't really an option for a minimum 50-game season when you've only three strikers on the books, either. 

Sorry, being a pain in the bum but I think even in a transfer ban season (and I've come round to a position many have held for a while, that we are letting it go this summer... Even if I maintain that is perhaps about maintaining a look of credibility in the hope things go our way and we can buy in January) two up top just isn't viable. 

20 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Can get that, but if I quote myself... 

Two up top because neither can do one man's job just means the job not being done shifts to somewhere else on the pitch. It isn't really an option for a minimum 50-game season when you've only three strikers on the books, either. 

Sorry, being a pain in the bum but I think even in a transfer ban season (and I've come round to a position many have held for a while, that we are letting it go this summer... Even if I maintain that is perhaps about maintaining a look of credibility in the hope things go our way and we can buy in January) two up top just isn't viable. 

Well yes , it's certainly not ideal , but it is what it is , in an ideal world we'd break the ban and get Dirty Diego back but it's just not happening .

I suppose the best route would be to play Giroud and service him in a manner that suits his game , maybe get more crosses into the box and utilise the wings so when he gets a chance he's facing goal not with his back to the goal .

Maybe that would work .

chara   
29 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Well yes , it's certainly not ideal , but it is what it is , in an ideal world we'd break the ban and get Dirty Diego back but it's just not happening .

I suppose the best route would be to play Giroud and service him in a manner that suits his game , maybe get more crosses into the box and utilise the wings so when he gets a chance he's facing goal not with his back to the goal .

Maybe that would work .

and maybe not...most teams would work that out and stifle it ..usual Chelsea problem of late..no real goa; scoring options...Bats has still not shown any reason to rely on him and Tammy is yet to be tested in our Blue.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Even if I maintain that is perhaps about maintaining a look of credibility in the hope things go our way and we can buy in January) two up top just isn't viable. 

Trouble is 2 wingers for 60 odd games in 4 competitions chosen from Willian (31) Pedro (32) Pulisic (20) and CHO (18) isn't viable either.

In the end top 4 isn't viable this season.  And the humongous transfer buying implied for 2020 is going to be for an EL team.

2 hours ago, chara said:

and maybe not...most teams would work that out and stifle it ..usual Chelsea problem of late..no real goa; scoring options...Bats has still not shown any reason to rely on him and Tammy is yet to be tested in our Blue.

We can but hope my friend , we can but hope ...

kev61   

From what I read Frank is addressing our problem in the centre forward position.A lone striker works alright if you have Drogba,or you have wingers and a fast tempo when you get into the opposition's last third, it doesn't work when you play this possession nonsense in the final third.