• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

St. Patricks 0 Chelsea FC 4

xCELERYx   
13 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I don't disagree that we'll get more out of Bats in a two. I guess though I wonder about where we'll have to lose a player to have two up top, and what the consequences of that will be. Pains of an unbalanced squad, I guess. 

It would be in midfield most likely. Although, the level of that loss may not be significant given its likely going to be at the expense of a non-attacking threat. If the 442 narrow diamond is used for example, we we could even get away with not really sacrificing anyone and maybe use Pedro as a second striker just off the CF. 

Without the ball we could line up in a 4411 type of system with Pedro dropping back. With the ball we move into a narrow 442 diamond. 

Wouldn't shock me if as see a couple of different systems used, we have enough versatile options in midfield to make something work. The AM is an issue though, particularly with the injuries. 

paulw66   
22 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Be interesting to see if Lampard considers a front 2 in a competitive match. I'm trying to think of the last time a Chelsea manager started with a front 2 in a serious game. 

Last time I remember it happening was at the end of 2005/06 when JM played Crespo and Drogba together for a few games.

21 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Guddy and JFH

Brilliant partnership. Really complimented each other.

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Last time I remember it happening was at the end of 2005/06 when JM played Crespo and Drogba together for a few games.

2006/07 Drogba had 32 starts out of 38 PL games and Sheva had 22 starts.  So we must have been playing twin strikers for half that season.
Bats as a poor man's Sheva and Giroud as a poor man's Drogba perhaps.

And I think for the JM part of 07/08 too and I think the early part of 04/05.
I don't recall formations that well, but I do remember pointing out once that under JM Mk1 we played 442 slightly more often than the "famous" 433.  Indeed if I recall right I was quite annoyed when Grant went back to 433 out of some kind of nostalgia, and I'm pretty sure I checked out the numbers then.

Funny, it is hard to remember the twin strikers because the Duff/Robben partnership is so strong in the mind.  On the other hand it is much easier to remember the diamond midfield that blew teams apart.

Sciatika   
3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Brilliant partnership. Really complimented each other.

Didn't we play it in the 2009-10 season under Ancelotti with Drogba and Anelka up front?

Edited by Sciatika

paulw66   
9 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Didn't we play it in the 2009-10 season under Ancelotti with Drogba and Anelka up front?

No, Anelka played on the right, Malouda on the left. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

No, Anelka played on the right, Malouda on the left. 

Such a strong team that season and in particular that front 3 - devastating.

xCELERYx   

I swear we played two up front once or so with Conte. Just can't remember if it was to start a game or if it came later on. 

Otherwise hard pressed to remember when it last happened tbh. Would have had to have been in the early Roman days. 

bert19   
5 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

I swear we played two up front once or so with Conte. Just can't remember if it was to start a game or if it came later on. 

Otherwise hard pressed to remember when it last happened tbh. Would have had to have been in the early Roman days. 

Burnley away towards the end of his tenure? 

Otherwise the best I can remember is when he brought Batshuayi on with 15-20 left to play with Costa in his first 3 or 4 games in charge?

paulw66   
1 hour ago, bert19 said:

Burnley away towards the end of his tenure? 

Otherwise the best I can remember is when he brought Batshuayi on with 15-20 left to play with Costa in his first 3 or 4 games in charge?

Yes, Morata played up front with Giroud and missed a couple of sitters. We won 2-1 tough. 

On 7/14/2019 at 1:20 PM, Bison said:

You are right to say Pulisic isn't far off where Hazard was at Lille simply because that would be an understatement. He is a million miles off.

Hazard was the best player in France for 2-3 years before arriving at Chelsea. Pulisic isn't close to that level - not now and probably not ever.

Thankfully for Pulisic, he doesn't have to be as good as Hazard in order to be as effective as Hazard for Chelsea. He will flourish in a 4141 or 442 (diamond) set up given he's more effective inside than outside.