• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Liverpool 2 Chelsea FC 2 (Liverpool wins 5-4 Pens)

Holymoly   
5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

The issue on Sunday was not the weak defence.  The issue on Sunday was dominating for large periods of the game with a high block high risk approach without scoring.  We were open to the sucker punch for the whole 90 mins.

The thing is Droy that on another occasion it might have been us 1 or 2 up at half time. The shots were on target but we just happened to hit a post, a crossbar or the GK got to it. The first goal was unfortunate and totally against the run of play. The second goal was well taken and then we went chasing the game and got caught on the break. It was not unreasonable for us to chase the game as we're not Huddersfield looking to keep the goal difference down. Over the course of the season it won't mean anything to us if we had lost 1-0 or 8-0. Also when United broke, they scored. They scored against a defense with no midfield cover. We had more shots, more possession, more corners and more shots on target. We were constantly threatening and promisingly we were shooting from range. 4-0 makes it seem like we were stuffed, and we weren't. What we need to work on is anticipating turnovers and being in better positions to transition back into defense. We're not a million miles from being the team that came third last season. Hazard aside I would argue that we have better depth throughout the squad. Yes we need a central defender. Yes we need a top drawer striker. But those are for next season. We make do with what we've got this season. The younger players will learn from this experience and some of the older players like Pedro, Kovacic and Barkley will hopefully play better next time. It was a bad day at the office, not the end of days.

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

The thing is Droy that on another occasion it might have been us 1 or 2 up at half time.

First and easiest chance I recall was the one Zouma gifted them.  
But I did say what we did wrong was to not score when dominant.  

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

Also when United broke, they scored. They scored against a defense with no midfield cover.

Absolutely.  But the bit no one seems ready to acknowledge was that we looked better than them and had more chances because we played a high risk game with no midfield cover.  We looked good because we played high risk against a team that likes to counterattack.  And Man U looked bad because it likes to sit and counterattack against teams that will press them.

Looking Good/Bad is very different to being the more/less successful team in those circumstances.  We who watch Conte's 16/17 team should know that more than anyone.

2-1 to us hopefully there’s a couple of changes to the team  can’t watch the game because I’m on nights if I could we would  lose 4-1 with a salah hat trick I missed a few europa league games last year and won them all so I'm hoping it to be a good omen me missing the game

It would be "proper Chels" if we win this. 
Our most hated rivals , playing well , cruising past Norwich whilst we are being humbled by the worst United side for twenty years. 

Kante should be back so....

xCELERYx   

Would be nice to get an early one over this lot, although expectations aren't high. I envision their speed in attack causing us some big problems and we'll probably ship a couple.

Optimistically, 1-0 to us. Realistically, 1-3 to them.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

It would be "proper Chels" if we win this. 
Our most hated rivals , playing well , cruising past Norwich whilst we are being humbled by the worst United side for twenty years. 

Do we have to re-write history, Mark? At the end of the day, we were beaten, not 'humbled'. Yes, the scoreline was 4-0, but we lead in all the other stats - possession; shots; shots on target, etc - away at OT!  In fact, we dominated the first half, and had some moments in the second. They they were ruthless when given their opportunities, took their chances, and we didn't. We certainly were not 'humbled'.

29 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Do we have to re-write history, Mark? At the end of the day, we were beaten, not 'humbled'. Yes, the scoreline was 4-0, but we lead in all the other stats - possession; shots; shots on target, etc - away at OT!  In fact, we dominated the first half, and had some moments in the second. They they were ruthless when given their opportunities, took their chances, and we didn't. We certainly were not 'humbled'.

Poor choice of words on my part I agree but the sentiment remains. 

Nobody will expect us to win. 

Knowing us we will. 

Sciatika   

It's not really a cup (more like a Charity Shield) but I think SFL will go for it as a way to get an early return on the season. They have Clyne and Allisson out and many of their players did not get a rest in the summer, but then neither did Willian who might be back for us. No Rudiger which is a shame because he would be more useful. I think SFL will pick Kante and Jorginho in a 4-2-3-1. I think Mount and Barkley did enough to keep their places. Not sure who he will play upfront - I can see arguments for all of them.So:

-------------------------Kepa

Azpi-----Zouma---Christensen---Emerson

---------------------Kante---Jorginho

---------Pedro------Mount-----Barkley

-----------------------????????

Edited by Sciatika
sp

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Had our pants pulled down by a team that just played it sensibly, and finishing aside played poorly.  Unless of course you want to claim how unbelievably lucky our last two PL titles were.  
We used to do that to naive weaker clubs all the time.

If we weren't humbled, or rather if we don't learn the lesson from that, Liverpool could slaughter us.

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Had our pants pulled down by a team that just played it sensibly, and finishing aside played poorly.  Unless of course you want to claim how unbelievably lucky our last two PL titles were.  
We used to do that to naive weaker clubs all the time.

If we weren't humbled, or rather if we don't learn the lesson from that, Liverpool could slaughter us.

How often in 2014/15 or 2016/17 did we win a game after conceding two shots against our woodwork in one half, whilst being dominated by a team in transition?

counter attack, low block football, yes. but not to the point where the oppo could have scored 2 or 3 in one half.