• Current Donation Goals

Sign in to follow this  
paulw66

Opening Day

paulw66   

With the new season not far away, it has got reminiscing about my favourtie season openers from yesteryear.

My personal favourite was 1999 when, after having missed out on the title by just 4 points the year before, we had added world cup winner Didier Deschamps, and up front had bought Chris Sutton for £10m, and we walloped Sunderland 4-0 with Poyet scoring one of my favourite all time Chelsea goals with the scissor kick from Zola's scoop pass....... I really thought we were going to challenge that year........turns out Deschamps was finished and Sutton was God awful. 

Honourable mentions to 2004 (Jose's frist game) and 2014 and debuts for Fabregas and Costa. 

Would be interested to hear other personal favourites (and least favourites) and why. Coventry away in 1998 is up there with the worst! Dion effing Dublin!

jangz   

Scholari's first game in charge I think it was 4-0...  where Deco (Scholari's Jorginho) shined and it looked like a chelsea revolution is about to begin.. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Would be interested to hear other personal favourites (and least favourites) and why. Coventry away in 1998 is up there with the worst! Dion effing Dublin!

Was that the one where Casiraghi could have scored a hat trick ?

bert19   

Crespo's banger in the last minute at Wigan always springs to mind. 

I did enjoy Diego's lovely finish very late on against West Ham in 2016/17 as well. 

paulw66   
35 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Was that the one where Casiraghi could have scored a hat trick ?

At Coventry? Yes. Their goalie, who ended up here in his later years although never played, played like a man possessed that day. 

We lost away at Coventry two years running. 3-2 and 2-1 and we battered them both times. 

Thinking about it 1998/99 was 2-1 (desailly and casiraghi debuts) and 1997/98 was 3-2 (Dublin hat trick, and Flo scored on his debut while Frank Sinclair dropped his shorts) 

paulw66   
1 hour ago, jangz said:

Scholari's first game in charge I think it was 4-0...  where Deco (Scholari's Jorginho) shined and it looked like a chelsea revolution is about to begin.. 

3-0 at HT......start of a new era........oh.........

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

At Coventry? Yes. Their goalie, who ended up here in his later years although never played, played like a man possessed that day. 

We lost away at Coventry two years running. 3-2 and 2-1 and we battered them both times. 

Thinking about it 1998/99 was 2-1 (desailly and casiraghi debuts) and 1997/98 was 3-2 (Dublin hat trick, and Flo scored on his debut while Frank Sinclair dropped his shorts) 

I remember one of Casrighi's which was such a good attempt at fooling the keeper , a little back header , but alas he really was like an Octopus that day . 

He was great Casiraghi , I really liked him , such a shame what transpired . 

There was also the time where we turned up with the wrong kit and had to play in their change kit which was odd too , from memory red and black squares ?

paulw66   
9 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I remember one of Casrighi's which was such a good attempt at fooling the keeper , a little back header , but alas he really was like an Octopus that day . 

He was great Casiraghi , I really liked him , such a shame what transpired . 

There was also the time where we turned up with the wrong kit and had to play in their change kit which was odd too , from memory red and black squares ?

Yes, about 2 or 3 years earlier.......lost 2-1. Paul Hughes was playing for us, so I am guessing the 95/96 season. 

So glad they went down. I went there in 2000 (the year they went down) and we drew 0-0 in the worst game I can remember. It was in Ranieri's early-ish days and the away end was chanting Vialli by the final whistle. Stanic went clean through in the last minute, chipped the keeper........and it landed on the roof of the net. 

The phrase "being sent to Coventry" is bang on. Looks like they aren't coming back any time soon, thank goodness. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 9:21 AM, paulw66 said:

3-0 at HT......start of a new era........oh.........

I remember this so well, we were driving back from a Wedding, stopped off at some random pub to eat and watch the game. Walking out the pub I was so excited to watch us destroy all before us that season... hmm

jangz   
28 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I remember this so well, we were driving back from a Wedding, stopped off at some random pub to eat and watch the game. Walking out the pub I was so excited to watch us destroy all before us that season... hmm

the worst I felt was when I think Xabi Alonso scored a deflected goal to end our undefeated run at home..