• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Manchester United 4 Chelsea 0

xCELERYx   

Rough start but that's how unforgiving the PL can be. Thought we had some really good periods, didn't get the rub of the green on a few occasions and United were simply more clinical when it mattered. 

Despite all this I think we showed we're capable when we want to be. Lack of quality in certain areas will hinder us, but there's a few bright lights in there that will hopefully grow as the season progresses. We'll be better for this sort of result long term.

Onto the next one. 

paulw66   
9 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

But we knew just knew some would....and away at Old Trafford first game , then Liverpool. For pities sake will some give the bloke a damn chance. I'm not the slightest bit surprised we lost this game but I was encouraged that we controlled significant parts of the match and played well before the second goal and were also unlucky not to score. Every chance they had went in ...first a pointless pen, another a wicked deflection and the other two from bad defensive errors. We were punished every time. I've seen us play far worse than that, get away with murder and come away with all 3 points. Remember one of the first games last season against Arsenal when they could and should have scored about 4 or 5 against us but we ended up winning 3-2?  It happens. We can panic (coz that's what we do) but I'm hoping the team won't.

We have a difficult season ahead but lets just get perspective.

Nice summary

8 hours ago, Sir said:

Never wanted Lampard in the first place so I’m not saying anything.

But, why not start Giroud in a game like this. Disappointing. Giroud should be our number 1 striker no doubt about it. Deserves it as well.

Overall the squad clearly isn’t good enough. This season will be a write off I’m afraid. This was my opinion way before the season started not just because of yesterday.

Yesterday we had to without Kante, and Rudiger, both of whom would have started and Willian and RLC, either of whom may have started, but both certainly would have been on the bench, plus Pulisic was not fit to start, plus CHO still way off. The squad, weaker than last year it may be, was 6 players light, all of whom would have been in contention to be in the 18. 

4 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well dont bother reading it then is the simple answer to that. I'm sorry if I'm boring you ....but can you tell me what the "point is" to qualifying every year for the CL ( often by the skin of their teeth) and then being rubbish in it? It kept him his job, I will give you that , but would you swop places with Arsenal supporters over the last 15 years? They have a couple of FA cups and let's see, we've had 5x Prems,  2x Europa Leagues, 1x Champions League and multiple FA and League Cup trophies, plus of course regularly finishing in the top 4 and regularly competing in the latter stages of the CL...I trust that maintained your interest a bit at the time? How do you think Gooners felt looking on ,,,,( go go the kids!!!). 

Regarding your concern about Lampards lack of adaptability as a Chelsea coach, I will say this. He may turn out to be rubbish ( and win nothing but 2 FA cups in 15 years) or he may turn out to be great. I dont know and neither do you , but I will tell you something (if you have managed to get through my post without falling asleep)... I'm finding it a bit disgusting that a person such as Lampard , with his character and work ethic, who has done so much for this club , and will work his butt off to achieve great things as a coach ( and not quit when he gets a better offer after a year) , is being  treating like this from Chelsea supporters after one game. You think after one game he has not been adaptable? 90 mins away at Old Trafford with half the teams key players out and you've made the judgement that if he doesn't do something soon, he's going to fail as a coach.?Fortunately I think that Lampard is made of sterner stuff than your goodself.  Get a grip. 

Agreed. Again. 

14 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Rough start but that's how unforgiving the PL can be. Thought we had some really good periods, didn't get the rub of the green on a few occasions and United were simply more clinical when it mattered. 

Despite all this I think we showed we're capable when we want to be. Lack of quality in certain areas will hinder us, but there's a few bright lights in there that will hopefully grow as the season progresses. We'll be better for this sort of result long term.

Onto the next one. 

Yup

Nice to see there is some sanity left on here. 

BlueFizz   
1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Football is played on such fine margins. Chelsea we’re the better team in the first half, comfortably. How different would things be had Tammy’s shot hit the post and gone in? If Zouma hadn't give away that penalty, United would likely have struggled to score a second as we wouldn’t have had to be so open at the back. Obviously, it didn’t go our way and a 4-0 defeat is horrible. But, I do think we can kick on from this, I saw enough signs to suggest we’re much better than the result suggests and I do believe through the season we’ll get better and we’ll be fine.

If Rudiger and Kante we’re playing yesterday, we’d probably have won.

If Tammy scores that goal we’d probably have won and his confidence would be sky high going forward.

What I think, too.

Seems strange to say that this was a game of fine margins - for the first 50mins anyways.

I was very encouraged by our performance going forward, especially the first 20mins or so. Very good passing and movement in midfield and created a number of chances and half-chances.

However a blind-man could see the vulnerability through our centre-backs - played way too far apart generally and when they did get a bit closer together would both go in for the same ball. What did surprise me was how little marshalling came from the captain and how slow he was to press out onto Martial or Rashford, he jogged out there. That gives both of them time to get the ball onto their right-foot and cut inside and be moving at pace onto you, just as you're going the opposite direction.

Naïve work at the back I'm afraid and lots of lessons need learning. I didn't watch our pre-season games in full, but poor defending was reported in most of them. Badly need an organiser back there, hopefully Rudiger improves this. I'd be tempted to play Tomori before playing Zouma, who's game looks to have regressed - he might be fine in a team who tells him to attack the ball all the time and let the others pass the ball, we don't and probably won't be able to accommodate a non-passing centre-half.

Lot's of promise from Ross in pre-season, yesterday he went back into what we saw a fair bit of last season, dawdles on the ball and makes poor decisions. If he continues the same way as yesterday, he'll be the one making way for Kante. The back-four may actually restrict how we operate in midfield as FL may need to plug the gaps with two midfield players, Frank may need to do a 'Conte' and change systems, to gain some confidence within the team and get some results - wins will breed belief, losses will effect in the opposite direction, especially the younger players.

We've got good players to come back in when fit, no panics or drama - They weren't 4-0 better than us, they made less mistakes, gave the ball away less in the dangerous places, had pace to stretch the defence with and utilised this by getting the ball forward earlier and had better finishers.

Holymoly   
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think you probably missed the bit where I said Frank should talk him up and build his confidence up and absolutely not stop him coming out for the second half during the match thread.

Indeed and I also read the myriad criticisms throughout the match too. Just saying mate. We read the "humerous" critiques but now is the time to get behind the team again for Wednesday.

Holymoly   
28 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yesterday we had to without Kante, and Rudiger, both of whom would have started and Willian and RLC, either of whom may have started, but both certainly would have been on the bench, plus Pulisic was not fit to start, plus CHO still way off. The squad, weaker than last year it may be, was 6 players light, all of whom would have been in contention to be in the 18.

I'm not going to be so pessimistic. The squad is effectively pretty much as was with the obvious exceptions of Hazard (who will be at least partially replaced by Pulisic and/or CHO) and David Luiz who could on occasion be a hinderance as often as he was a help. None of the other departures played any part in the season last year. What we are light on is obviously central defenders and a striker and it would be nice to imagine one of those positions eventually getting covered from within the current setup. Spend this next 9 months identifying the right additions for the squad and go all out to obtain them for July. We're not a million miles away.

paulw66   
3 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I'm not going to be so pessimistic. The squad is effectively pretty much as was with the obvious exceptions of Hazard (who will be at least partially replaced by Pulisic and/or CHO) and David Luiz who could on occasion be a hinderance as often as he was a help. None of the other departures played any part in the season last year. What we are light on is obviously central defenders and a striker and it would be nice to imagine one of those positions eventually getting covered from within the current setup. Spend this next 9 months identifying the right additions for the squad and go all out to obtain them for July. We're not a million miles away.

I didn't think I was! 

Just pointing out we were missing 6 players yesterday, a couple of whom are very important. 

Was trying to be optomistic 

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Football is played on such fine margins. Chelsea we’re the better team in the first half, comfortably. How different would things be had Tammy’s shot hit the post and gone in? If Zouma hadn't give away that penalty, United would likely have struggled to score a second as we wouldn’t have had to be so open at the back. Obviously, it didn’t go our way and a 4-0 defeat is horrible. But, I do think we can kick on from this, I saw enough signs to suggest we’re much better than the result suggests and I do believe through the season we’ll get better and we’ll be fine.

If Rudiger and Kante we’re playing yesterday, we’d probably have won.

If Tammy scores that goal we’d probably have won and his confidence would be sky high going forward.

57 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Onto the next one. 

That's pretty much how I saw it/see it.

It's not an ideal fixture next, but we'll get stronger as the season goes on.

27 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Indeed and I also read the myriad criticisms throughout the match too. Just saying mate. We read the "humerous" critiques but now is the time to get behind the team again for Wednesday.

got you.

I did also say he was being played out of position in my opinion , on the wrong side.

Particularly when Christensen has to move across when Rudiger returns.

It's not all criticism !

3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Like a few here (whose posts a few others seem indignantly determined to misunderstand and misrepresent) I am worried more for than by Lampard. 

Exactly. 
Back pages full of an OTT report on his slightly OTT reaction to an OTT quote by the Sky interviewer of JMs very underplayed comments.  Doesn't help that he is being stitched up by the media already.

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Exactly how I see it. No way was that a 4-0 game. 

True - nor was that a great Man U side.  Had we lost like that to City or Liverpool we could say "gave it a go", "unlucky not to score" etc.  But this was the team that finished 6th last season and has only added 2 defenders (albeit bringing in a lot of the right attitude).

Tactically, insisting that a team that can only really counter attack should sit on its recently strengthened defeat and pick us off from long range was suicide.

2 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I think we've had enough of your prolonged character assassination of Kurt Zouma now. Maybe we should be trying to build the guy's confidence back up, especially as there is no real alternative in the short term.

I suspect Tomori starts one of the next 2 games.  Or Zappacosta and Azpi moves across (killing 2 birds with one stone).