• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Manchester United 4 Chelsea 0

5 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Well its easy to dismiss it as one game, isn't it? Problem is, we have been seeing the exact same thing throughout a highly competitive pre-season. 

Anyway, its not a dig at Lamps unless he sticks to this doggedly - because thats the stick we used to beat other managers (Sarri), wasn't it?

Well I find it interesting that  the stick you tried beat Lampard with after one game was his lack of adaptability...was that perhaps an amusing dig at Sarri whose major fault, and why we dropped so many points in the second half of the season was his ability not to adapt. And if results is what your after, our preseason wasn't too bad at all , but no they are not competitive games when you are changing 11 players at half time. 

Its easy to dismiss as one game game because thats exactly what it is. It's harder to call it a run of bad Premiership form but people are having a try. Silly question but do you actually want Lampard to do well this season? You seem to be licking your lips at the prospect of his demise.

15 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Summer 2020 and we could find Jorghinho, Rudiger, Kante and Kepa as targets for other clubs.

Could well happen.

38 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well congratulations.  But I saw a tactically very naive team get taken to the cleaners by a team making not that much effort.  A lesson in top level tactics.
I also saw the team that was 6th last year that was man for man better than us in 9/11 positions (Jorginho and Mount IMO).  I get that we have the weaker team, but we ought to be playing accordingly.

Energetic in the press is fine if it leads to goals, but no goals just means no energy 2nd half.

Summer 2020 and we could find Jorghinho, Rudiger, Kante and Kepa as targets for other clubs.

You might as well have  added

Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes…
The dead rising from the grave.
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together –

A bit alarmist perhaps  ?

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

I am only referring to posters who are directly saying Lampard needs to adapt, change ,improve, sort things out etc with some  inferring that he's not up to the job ....after one loss to a good team. This is a man fighting with one hand behind his back , and do you know what, I saw something on Sunday. I saw a new team with kids and inexperience, take a match to the United on their turf and give them plenty to think about. As Olly said, United were lucky to go in at half time and not be losing...an honest but true statement. The pen meant we were chasing the game and got punished but 4 nil was absolutely no reflection. Fine margins. Tammys shot goes 6 inches to the right and we might well have won that game. We were not perfect but we were quick to ball, energetic in the press, moved the ball at speed and were generally very positive.  We lack a goalscorer and are making defensive errors but I look forward to some great games and some big scalps this season.

Well said that man! I agree very strongly Nobly. I've read some people on here saying how Frank had adopted a naive approach and we should have set up more defensively. I disagree completely with that. When we started the match we really went for them and were clearly superior to them.We only conceded the goals because of calamitous mistakes in defence. We knew we had big defensive problems because of what we saw in Salzburg and we reaped the consequences of them big time on Sunday.

But that shouldn't hide the fact that when we set off with our very positive approach against Manure on Sunday we looked really good. Tammy struck his shot almost perfectly and both he and Emerson were very unlucky not to score.

I would have like to see Pulisic start as well and I believe that we should keep on playing to our attacking strengths rather than retreat into yet another conservative cagey style again. We still have some very good players to come back into the team - Kante will help enormously to shore up our midfield obviously and Ruben and Callum are 2 other big attacking talents to add to the mix.

• Like 1

Blue Rod   

I usually make my judgement about a coach's overall ability when I've observed a pattern of weaknesses and flaws on or off the field. There is a few things from yesterday's performance that can be blamed on Lampard. But to use these as a proof of his unsuitability for the job is a bit  baseless.

There was poor game management. We seemed to get carried away with trying to control the match and forgot to defend or watch out for counter attacks. 

We do not have the quality to control a match for 90 min. Last season our best performances came when we stepped back a little bit and allowed our opponents to come at us. If Lampard thinks we can win by dominating from from start to finish, then I'd draw my conclusions about him rather early. 

As it stands nothing really has changed my view about Lampard's appointment. It was always a gamble.  And if Lampard can learn quickly, it might still pay off. Our more experienced manager suffered arguably worse defeats in more advanced stages of the season. It didn't stop him being given the Juventus job this season.

Solskjaer plays one dimensional counter attacking football. The proof was in the pudding last season. Despite that we go out with a super soft team playing a high press game. It was a huge gamble we really didn’t have to take. 1st game of the season away to United. If there is one game you want to see some cynical play it is this one. 

You can’t judge Lampard on one game. Time will tell if he is a gunslinger or a kamikaze pilot. High risks he does not shy away from though. 

Zouma made a mistake. It can be forgiven. But I am not sure how much longer we can accept Pedro’s ball losses in critical areas. I really like Pedro but he is a seasoned pro making the most unnecessary mistakes. Please stop. 

Edited by Ibn Battuta

4 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Zouma made a mistake. It can be forgiven. But I am not sure how much longer we can accept Pedro’s ball losses in critical areas. I really like Pedro but he is a seasoned pro making the most unnecessary mistakes. Please stop. 

Yesterday it was more the seasoned pro's who should know better who were making costly mistakes. We are relying on the likes of Pedro and Dave to steady the ship not rock the boat.

Ham   
7 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

With Willian back I think Pedro can expect some time on the bench.  

I'm actually excited to see how Willian fares without Hazard and in a Lampard team.  I'm hoping he'll gain in confidence being the senior attacker.