• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Manchester United 4 Chelsea 0

JaneB   
6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I am only referring to posters who are directly saying Lampard needs to adapt, change ,improve, sort things out etc with some  inferring that he's not up to the job ....after one loss to a good team. This is a man fighting with one hand behind his back , and do you know what, I saw something on Sunday. I saw a new team with kids and inexperience, take a match to the United on their turf and give them plenty to think about. As Olly said, United were lucky to go in at half time and not be losing...an honest but true statement. The pen meant we were chasing the game and got punished but 4 nil was absolutely no reflection. Fine margins. Tammys shot goes 6 inches to the right and we might well have won that game. We were not perfect but we were quick to ball, energetic in the press, moved the ball at speed and were generally very positive.  We lack a goalscorer and are making defensive errors but I look forward to some great games and some big scalps this season.

OH YES YES YES!!!

Mind you, I think SFL is showing his inexperience by failing to take notes all through the game...…. 

3 hours ago, chara said:

OK..no response to my question....

My point was with all the doom and gloom we may be missing the fact that WE are CHELSEA whatever the climate is.... through thick and thin.

We are indeed Chara :-)  I mean, what else is there to be?  Once you're in, you're in for life.  

8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

It is a good question.  The only answer I would rule out is that the board is incompetent - we know how untrue that is.  Arsenal's board is incompetent.  Arguably Man U's board has been incompetent post SAF.   We have had 2 bad seasons this millennium and loads and loads of good ones with trophies.

Potential answers are:

• fear of an extended ban (I doubt this, but others don't)
  • a short term experiment based on current promising youth (let us just say opinions vary on this)
  • that we did attempt an deferment but for some unknown reason it was not accepted or declined 
  • that the club took the view that prices were high, TV money is falling and that this was bad timing for a big splurge into the market spending 2 years money
  • that the club is up for sale and it is thought easier to sell if the new owner gets to choose the expensive  fixtures and fittings rather than have then thrust upon him. 

Anyone else got other ideas?

For me the last two are favourites, but the club has been unusually quiet on the potential deferment - in fact the nearest it has got to making a statement on the matter were some vague references by SFL a few weeks ago.

Problem is Droy, I think that is actually the problem. You say that we have had two bad seasons, which is true, however from Summer 2007 to 2011 we also went through an awful time in which they ran down the quality of the squad by stripping away the depth then buying the likes of Steve Sidwell, Yossi Benayoun and Kalid Boularouz. What changed in 2010/11ish is that De Visser starting working with us, which gave us the second golden age of buying. Then he stopped and it all went to pot again. I know lots of people like to say last summer was an amazing summer but panic buying Kepa, Green on a year, Kova on a loan and buying Jorgi (as good as he is) did not really cut it for me as it still left a lot of issues with the squad.

As for the handling of the ban it has been a farce plan and simple. Either they had to hedge bets and get more signings in the Jan window so they could come in now or they had to ensure the appeal allowed a summer - see Barca, Real, Athletico. As I have said, and I believe you have also said - if not sorry - Summer 2019 was more important than Jan 2020, Summer 2020, Jan 2021, as the Jan windows do not really count much. As for signings there were players about if people would pony up, which we can, and as is the way of the world money talks. The only one of your four points that makes sense is that Roman is looking to sell, but I see that as unlikely. 

chara   

Through the sun and rain......

49 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

(Conte)  Here, he had JT onside.

????  Conte had JT onside - surely a joke.  He dropped him and killed his PL career.
He was lucky that JT was a big man, that is all.
Ditto Ivanovic, another tough leader.
Ditto Luiz - a big character ditched but not too proud to be quiet about it.

JT spoke positively about absolutely everyone.  Almost as good a TV professional as Lampard.
Pretty sure there isn't a single quote that is critical from JT on AVB, Scolari or even Benitez (who dropped him when he was much younger).

You might be right in general about Conte and leaders, but my feeling is that he likes acolytes, not rivals.  

9 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

????  Conte had JT onside - surely a joke.  He dropped him and killed his PL career.
He was lucky that JT was a big man, that is all.
Ditto Ivanovic, another tough leader.
Ditto Luiz - a big character ditched but not too proud to be quiet about it.

JT spoke positively about absolutely everyone.  Almost as good a TV professional as Lampard.
Pretty sure there isn't a single quote that is critical from JT on AVB, Scolari or even Benitez (who dropped him when he was much younger).

You might be right in general about Conte and leaders, but my feeling is that he likes acolytes, not rivals.  

To be fair Droy, JT was on his last legs in the 2016/17 season. He was a regular at the start of the season then was dropped due to form. That was not an untoward thing to do. 

Additionally, you do not make acolytes of such players who are as decorated as those mentioned if you have a fundermental disliking of strong opinions. Especially when coming in as a manger who has yet to prove oneself. 

21 minutes ago, chara said:

Through the sun and rain......

I have had a season ticket for 20 years and you will never catch me booing the team and/or jeering a player when they are in our colours. Additionally, I am always vocal in my support of the boys in the stadium. However, on boards such as these I think it is fair to criticise poor strategy. 

2 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

To be fair Droy, JT was on his last legs in the 2016/17 season. He was a regular at the start of the season then was dropped due to form. That was not an untoward thing to do. 

I'm not saying it was (though I might think it).  I'm just saying it is a long stretch to say that he had JT onside.  And the lack of any public criticism from JT of Conte means absolutely nothing.  he just doesn't do his bitching in public. 

2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm not saying it was (though I might think it).  I'm just saying it is a long stretch to say that he had JT onside.  And the lack of any public criticism from JT of Conte means absolutely nothing.  he just doesn't do his bitching in public

True, but what he did say in public was supportive. Anything else is conjecture. 

3 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I could not care less if it comes off that way. Based on the game and the pre-season games, there are a couple things that need to be addressed. 

You keep trying to bring this back to Lampard the legend of the club. Are we just supposed to ignore the nature of the goals yesterday and try to pretend that they were not exactly what we were seeing throughout preseason??

So yes, it is the only premier league game - but it wasnt the only game we have been seeing the exact same set-up at all. And the point still stands that Lampard basically played exactly into United's hands. Whatever happened to the days when the manager would adopt a more pragmatic approach for tougher fixtures and focus on getting more points on the board than playing pretty football?

I am happy you want to Lamps to do well. So do I. But he is not going to be successful because the supporters want him to be. He is going to have to get to that point the same way Sarri, Conte, Mourinho, Benitez, Di Matteo and Ancelotti did.

I'll try and make my point in simple language. The point is that whether it's Lampard, Mourinho, Sarri,, Di Mateo , Conte or even Fatty , it's probably unwise and unfair to suggest a manager isn't up to it after one game. Make points/observations about the game for sure but what you are doing is daft. I've never done that and IMO neither should you but it's of course up to you. We all know we are under powered even when we get all the injured back. We will struggle at times this season like we did last season. 4 nil away to United /4 nil at home to Bournmouth...take your pick...neither sounds great does it? If you want to nail the colours to the mast based on one competitive game ( and a tough one) you will probably end up having a bitter and twisted season that will give you zero joy. 

Take a deep breath and whisper to yourself several times " I want our team and coach  to have a Really good season" ......hold that thought and then exhale...then enjoy watching your team.

43 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

True, but what he did say in public was supportive. Anything else is conjecture. 

This is a basic fundamental about understanding what people say in public.
The meaning of what they don't say is conjecture.
And the meaning of what they do say is conjecture.

People don't talk honestly to the press - they would have to be mad to do so.  You have to use other methods of working out  what people are thinking.

Otherwise we start taking managers at face value when they say they don't know who the club is buying next week or that the really do expect to win everything this year.

8 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Take a deep breath and whisper to yourself several times " I want our team and coach  to have a Really good season" ......hold that thought and then exhale...then enjoy watching your team.

What an unusual method.  Is that what they do in Liverpool?  Everyone I know prepares themselves for the worst.  That way the do enjoy watching their team.