• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Manchester United 4 Chelsea 0

kev61   
7 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

I usually make my judgement about a coach's overall ability when I've observed a pattern of weaknesses and flaws on or off the field. There is a few things from yesterday's performance that can be blamed on Lampard. But to use these as a proof of his unsuitability for the job is a bit  baseless.

There was poor game management. We seemed to get carried away with trying to control the match and forgot to defend or watch out for counter attacks. 

We do not have the quality to control a match for 90 min. Last season our best performances came when we stepped back a little bit and allowed our opponents to come at us. If Lampard thinks we can win by dominating from from start to finish, then I'd draw my conclusions about him rather early. 

As it stands nothing really has changed my view about Lampard's appointment. It was always a gamble.  And if Lampard can learn quickly, it might still pay off. Our more experienced manager suffered arguably worse defeats in more advanced stages of the season. It didn't stop him being given the Juventus job this season.

Yep I mentioned before, you have to cut your clothe to suit your means in football in other words try to do what you are good at with what you have(very hard to do with this motley crew).The thing that really grates with me is the armchair experts that think Lampard is naive and not ready! - he's played under the mighty mourhino and other great managers and knows more about the game than most imo - just look at mourhino on sunday - a bumbling idiot that is fast becoming a chris eubank in his assessment of things.

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I'll try and make my point in simple language. The point is that whether it's Lampard, Mourinho, Sarri,, Di Mateo , Conte or even Fatty , it's probably unwise and unfair to suggest a manager isn't up to it after one game. Make points/observations about the game for sure but what you are doing is daft. I've never done that and IMO neither should you but it's of course up to you. We all know we are under powered even when we get all the injured back. We will struggle at times this season like we did last season. 4 nil away to United /4 nil at home to Bournmouth...take your pick...neither sounds great does it? If you want to nail the colours to the mast based on one competitive game ( and a tough one) you will probably end up having a bitter and twisted season that will give you zero joy. 

Take a deep breath and whisper to yourself several times " I want our team and coach  to have a Really good season" ......hold that thought and then exhale...then enjoy watching your team.

You're not reading my posts, are you? I get it. Its easier just to hit reply and then go off on another long, pointless rant then. Oh well. We'll just put this one to bed, shall we?

8 hours ago, Ham said:

With Willian back I think Pedro can expect some time on the bench.  

I'm not so sure, tbh. Pedro has pretty much always slotted in aimless performances alongside match-winning performances. This game he wasn't great, but next game he might be.

8 hours ago, Ham said:

I'm actually excited to see how Willian fares without Hazard and in a Lampard team.  I'm hoping he'll gain in confidence being the senior attacker. 

I think that Willian will gain in confidence, and start delivering more consistent and mature performances. It's about time, because he's always had the talent.

xCELERYx   
6 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

Problem is Droy, I think that is actually the problem. You say that we have had two bad seasons, which is true, however from Summer 2007 to 2011 we also went through an awful time in which they ran down the quality of the squad by stripping away the depth then buying the likes of Steve Sidwell, Yossi Benayoun and Kalid Boularouz. What changed in 2010/11ish is that De Visser starting working with us, which gave us the second golden age of buying. Then he stopped and it all went to pot again. I know lots of people like to say last summer was an amazing summer but panic buying Kepa, Green on a year, Kova on a loan and buying Jorgi (as good as he is) did not really cut it for me as it still left a lot of issues with the squad.

As for the handling of the ban it has been a farce plan and simple. Either they had to hedge bets and get more signings in the Jan window so they could come in now or they had to ensure the appeal allowed a summer - see Barca, Real, Athletico. As I have said, and I believe you have also said - if not sorry - Summer 2019 was more important than Jan 2020, Summer 2020, Jan 2021, as the Jan windows do not really count much. As for signings there were players about if people would pony up, which we can, and as is the way of the world money talks. The only one of your four points that makes sense is that Roman is looking to sell, but I see that as unlikely. 

The issue is if the club will indeed pony up when it matters. Prior to last season under Sarri, the last time the club really did just that was 2012/13. Otherwise we've largely kept a pretty modest net spend given how the market has been, largely relying on player sales to fund deals and balance books. 

For example last season under Sarri we spent around 130m net. However, it was largely invested in players that didn't really plug any of the holes we had. We've been crying out for a commanding centre half since Conte arrived, and here we are still waiting to have this glaring issue addressed. The club didn't want to cough up for VVD, and instead we've seen the old brigade move on, leaving the mantel to players who are largely incapable of holding the same standard. The equally important part of us spending money moving forward is making sure we're buying the right players to begin with. And if a quality player like a VVD does come up, being prepared to dig a bit deeper to get a deal done for that sort of quality. 

Last time we had a permenant English manager

dominated man united 1st half

hit the woodwork

gave away needless penalty

collapsed to a 4-0 defeat

maybe it’s just carrying on from hoddle in the cup final :-)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I am only referring to posters who are directly saying Lampard needs to adapt, change ,improve, sort things out etc with some  inferring that he's not up to the job ....after one loss to a good team. 

Really difficult to see what your qualm is, unless it is as simple as 'I love Lampard and cannot hear anything even only vaguely resembling a word against him'. He's had one year in management. No matter what your view has been on his appointment, could you honestly say that you don't think a manager with his management career so far needs to adapt, improve etc.? Hasn't he be saying those sorts of things about himself? 

Surely the argument for Lampard is that he needs do to those things and be given the chance to do them? 

The counter-position would be that he doesn't need to learn anything and the mistakes of Sunday can happen over and over again with no issue. 

1 hour ago, xCELERYx said:

For example last season under Sarri we spent around 130m net. However, it was largely invested in players that didn't really plug any of the holes we had.

We spent £70m on a keeper when the options in the squad were Cabellero and kids, and another £50m or so on a position that was at that time being filled by Bakayoko and Drinkwater. 

We evidently did not buy who you would have wanted us to buy, but the money was spent in places it needed to be spent. It just so happens that in an ideal world we'd have spent more money on more players across more positions, I.e. what any club would do given the option. 

Edited by thevelourfog

Ham   
1 hour ago, hallgalley said:

Last time we had a permenant English manager

dominated man united 1st half

hit the woodwork

gave away needless penalty

collapsed to a 4-0 defeat

maybe it’s just carrying on from hoddle in the cup final :-)

That score flattered them as well thanks to David Elleray. 

7 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

The issue is if the club will indeed pony up when it matters. Prior to last season under Sarri, the last time the club really did just that was 2012/13. Otherwise we've largely kept a pretty modest net spend given how the market has been, largely relying on player sales to fund deals and balance books. 

For example last season under Sarri we spent around 130m net. However, it was largely invested in players that didn't really plug any of the holes we had. We've been crying out for a commanding centre half since Conte arrived, and here we are still waiting to have this glaring issue addressed. The club didn't want to cough up for VVD, and instead we've seen the old brigade move on, leaving the mantel to players who are largely incapable of holding the same standard. The equally important part of us spending money moving forward is making sure we're buying the right players to begin with. And if a quality player like a VVD does come up, being prepared to dig a bit deeper to get a deal done for that sort of quality. 

LOL. £360m spent on new players 2015/16 and 2016/17... 

But let's pretend that didn't happen shall we?

8 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

For example last season under Sarri we spent around 130m net. However, it was largely invested in players that didn't really plug any of the holes we had

We sold Courtois, Matic, Fabregas, and it was clear Hazard would be gone.
We bought Kepa,  Jorginho and Pulisic.
If that isn't plugging holes what is it?

Not a poster on this site that bases so many posts around statements of unfact.