• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Manchester United 4 Chelsea 0

On 8/14/2019 at 0:08 PM, PeteRobbo said:

Droy of course is different. Last year we had a manager whom the majority on here hated, at least at the start and, for many of them, throughout the rest of the season too. Then, since the majority were anti-Sarri, Droy would simply have to take the opposing view. This season we see the exact reverse. The majority hope to see Lampard make good, whereas a Droy is desperate for him to fail. That doesn’t surprise me at all.

NO - what you mean is that a whole load of people got Sarri 100% wrong for no reason other than they didn't like the look of him.
Droy got him right.
This time a whole lot of people are writing off a 4-0 loss to a team as a great achievement of style.  Droy disagrees.
Conclusion - you reckon PeteRobbo is right again.  )

21 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Net spend can be ridiculously misleading. But the £360m he spent on new players isn’t. The only player one could reasonably argue Conte wanted to keep is Matic. That’s one of a long list of players he got rid of. 

Moreover both gross and net spend depend on a whole load of guesses.  Pretty much all the sales look like speculative guesses, the purchases look a lot more realistic.

On 8/14/2019 at 11:13 AM, NoblyBobly said:

I've no idea why you keep telling me to do that. He managed the Real Madrid B team in the second tier of Spanish football (and quite badly actually). Now you're going to tell me that he was also Director of Football for a while and thats almost the same job. Well lets make Petre Cech manager next year shall we. And before you start typing I realise that Cechs title isn't actually Director of Football but I'm sure he's learning lots and lots about management.

And Zidane was the Sports director - which meant that he was in charge of a big budget for players, something SFL has still not done.

As for the Technical adviser at Chelsea, the nearest he gets to transfer decisions is what to say to Piazon, Rahman and Moses when the manager decides he doesn't need them.

The very idea that you could compare Cech's role at Chelsea with Zidane's role at RM shows just how deep you have your head in the sand on Lampard. 

23 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

And Zidane was the Sports director - which meant that he was in charge of a big budget for players, something SFL has still not done.

As for the Technical adviser at Chelsea, the nearest he gets to transfer decisions is what to say to Piazon, Rahman and Moses when the manager decides he doesn't need them.

The very idea that you could compare Cech's role at Chelsea with Zidane's role at RM shows just how deep you have your head in the sand on Lampard. 

I'm not altogether sure why we are still having this debate (although always happy to oblige). It was started in earnest January this year when sarri was going through a "bad moment". A debate started about the  potential of Sarri not being here next season and I suggested Lampard. Well, to say you were dismissive of my suggestion was an understatement. To counter the claims that I had totally lost my marbles (and you weren't the only one) I pointed to Zidane as an example of player with limited management experience who had done well. You seem to take great um-bridge at my valid point and have been trying to prove me wrong ever since. But TBH, Lampard is here now so perhaps we can just start looking at his performances and start judging if we were right or wrong. 

Anyway just to tie up a few loose ends:

On 8/15/2019 at 3:37 PM, Droy was my hero said:

And Zidane was the Sports director -

No he wasn't. Not according to the source you keep telling me to fact check on (Wikki). Miguel Pardeza was the Sporting Director. After Zidane had finished the Real Madrid B team (about the same level as Derby County) he became an ADVISER to the president along with Pardeza and another chap whose name I can't remember. Now ADVISER is a fluid word. How much power influence did Zidane have? He may well have advised the President that a player is good for Real but we all know who makes the final decision...same here with Marina. Complete speculation by yourself. In fact Wikki gave it 2 lines amongst about 10 pages of other Zidane achievements so they are not giving it much importance.  Maybe he had the ear of the president, maybe Pardeza did, maybe they all did...but a first team 'coach power' he did not have. In fact, if I had a direct comparison of his job at Real about the closest I could get is Petre Cech's at Chelsea. According to the Telegraph his designation was to take on some of the responsibilities of Michael Emanalo and "to act as a link and ADVISER between the board..  (Marina G..El Presidente).. and the head Coach and playing staff. He will provide advice on all football and performance matters". Sounds quite similar to Zidans role doesn't it only a bit more "coachy".?...... but hang on a minute!

On 8/15/2019 at 3:37 PM, Droy was my hero said:

I'll tell you what Droy lets make a pact. I'll remove my head from the sand if you remove yours from an equally dark place. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

According to the Telegraph his designation was to take on some of the responsibilities of Michael Emanalo and "to act as a link and ADVISER between the board..  (Marina G..El Presidente).. and the head Coach and playing staff. He will provide advice on all football and performance matters". Sounds quite similar to Zidans role doesn't it only a bit more "coachy".?...... but hang on a minute!

You'll find the Telegraph was guessing and got it wrong.

30 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

You'll find the Telegraph was guessing and got it wrong.

and wikki?

(out of curiosity, what ARE your sources re Cechs role and it was you was it not that told me Cech job description was Technical Advisor? My point is, that it sounds eerily to Zidans role... as quoted by your source ) 

Edited by NoblyBobly

16 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

and wikki?

(out of curiosity, what ARE your sources re Cechs role and it was you was it not that told me Cech job description was Technical Advisor? My point is, that it sounds eerily to Zidans role... as quoted by your source ) 

It is wiki.

So you still haven't read Zidane's wiki page.  Stop pretending you have.
Cech's role was announced by the club.  Try Googgling Petr Cech Chelsea fc

One was a Sporting Director - which means equal to or above the manager.
The other is a technical and performance advisor - which means nothing in the real world.  He probably doesn't even report to SFL.

16 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

So you still haven't read Zidane's wiki page.  Stop pretending you have.

I think the more pertinent question is have you? This straight from Wikki.

"On 1 June 2009, Zidane was announced as the advisor to the president after Florentino Pérez was named president of Real Madrid for the second time.[105] He, along with general director Jorge Valdano and sporting director Miguel Pardeza,"

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

I think the more pertinent question is have you? This straight from Wikki.

"On 1 June 2009, Zidane was announced as the advisor to the president after Florentino Pérez was named president of Real Madrid for the second time.[105] He, along with general director Jorge Valdano and sporting director Miguel Pardeza,"

Well done right page - 2009 is 7 years before Zidane gets made manager, and he is already advisor to the president.  I wonder what happens during the rest of those 7 years.

You can try and out stubborn me if you want.  But as you probably know there are at least a dozen on here that would love you to be right or rather me to be wrong.  At least 3 or 4  have read the page twice and googled Zidane to death in order to back you up.  They'd be trolling me for at least a week if they could.  They've been pretty silent on this though.

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well done right page - 2009 is 7 years before Zidane gets made manager, and he is already advisor to the president.  I wonder what happens during the rest of those 7 years.

You can try and out stubborn me if you want.  But as you probably know there are at least a dozen on here that would love you to be right or rather me to be wrong.  At least 3 or 4  have read the page twice and googled Zidane to death in order to back you up.  They'd be trolling me for at least a week if they could.  They've been pretty silent on this though.

Please don't patronize me Droy, especially after effectively calling me a liar, only for me to produce the quote from the wikki page you said I'd never read. I think you're probably a better poster and person than that. A small humble apology wouldn't have gone a miss. 

You told me Zidane was Real' s sporting director and that I should look it up on wikki. I did and it said he wasn't , he was an advisor ( maybe you could fill in the remaining 7 years on the wikki page seeing as you know it all?) . Then you tell me that although Cech is also called an adviser,  you didn't actually name anyone he advises least of all Lampard who you reckon he probably doesn't even work with,  and yet an article in the telegraph says that he's the link between board and the head coach on football matters. Who do you think he's advising? Billy McCullock on the technical aspect of eating too many pies? And no I'm not looking up anymore of your links thanks when you respond in that patronising manner. 

And there's  reasons other posters aren't rushing to my assistance. Probably they are board shitless by the whole exchange and secondly I clearly don't need or require it. Maybe it's your posse reading the page wondering if they can help dig you out of the hole  you've got yourself into. They've wisely given it a wide berth. 

It is possible that you're wrong sometimes you know Droy. It's not a crime.  I can be too sometimes....only this isn't one of those occasions. 

Edited by NoblyBobly

37 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Please don't patronize me Droy, especially after effectively calling me a liar, only for me to produce the quote from the wikki page you said I'd never read. I think you're probably a better poster and person than that. A small humble apology wouldn't have gone a miss. 

You told me Zidane was Real' s sporting director and that I should look it up on wikki. I did and it said he wasn't , he was an advisor ( maybe you could fill in the remaining 7 years on the wikki page seeing as you know it all?) . Then you tell me that although Cech is also called an adviser,  you didn't actually name anyone he advises least of all Lampard who you reckon he probably doesn't even work with,  and yet an article in the telegraph says that he's the link between board and the head coach on football matters. Who do you think he's advising? Billy McCullock on the technical aspect of eating too many pies? And no I'm not looking up anymore of your links thanks when you respond in that patronising manner. 

And there's  reasons other posters aren't rushing to my assistance. Probably they are board shitless by the whole exchange and secondly I clearly don't need or require it. Maybe it's your posse reading the page wondering if they can help dig you out of the hole  you've got yourself into. They've wisely given it a wide berth. 

It is possible that you're wrong sometimes you know Droy. It's not a crime.  I can be too sometimes....only this isn't one of those occasions. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinedine_Zidane#Managerial_career

It is a little bit lower down than your quote - as I said during the 7 years after your 2009 line and the 2016 appointment as manager when Zidane accumulated considerably more experience than SFL has.  Trust your friends on here, they would be all over me on here if they hadn't found it or didn't know it already.

Managerial career[edit]

In November 2010, Zidane was appointed as a special adviser to Real Madrid's first team in response to an appeal made by then-Real Madrid coach José Mourinho for the former Real midfielder to work more closely with the team. In his new role, Zidane was expected to participate in Champions League events and functions and was also to travel with the first team on a regular basis and participate in pre-match gatherings, training sessions and meetings with the head coach.[119] In July 2011, it was announced that he would become Real Madrid's new sporting director.[120] In 2013, Zidane was appointed assistant coach to Carlo Ancelotti at Real Madrid.[121]

Real Madrid Castilla[edit]

In June 2014, Real Madrid announced that Zidane would be the coach of Real Madrid's B team, Real Madrid Castilla.[13] On 29 August, the director of the Spanish National Football Coach Education Centre (CENAFE), Miguel Galán, reported Zidane for acting as Real Madrid Castilla's head coach without the necessary coaching badges.[122] According to Galán, "No one who has anything to do with the football world can be unaware that Zidane is acting as Real Madrid Castilla's head coach this season. It is a fait accompli that has been widely accepted, as shown by media reports, and Real Madrid do not deny it."[122] While the official match report for Castilla's opening game in the Segunda División B lists Santiago Sánchez as the Los Blancos' head coach and Zidane as his assistant, Galán states, "This hierarchy only exists on paper. The truth is the exact opposite: Zidane is acting as Real Madrid Castilla's head coach, while, with all due respect to him as a colleague, Mr Sánchez's role basically boils down to providing the badges."[122][123]