• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Manchester United 4 Chelsea 0

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I have to say I'm fully behind you here Droy .

I'm expecting the Premier league will want their product to remain the most talked about , the PGMOL are just next door for maximum leanability and SKY want every Sunday to be a super one .

I expect some manipulation to occur to keep the new order particularly in the favour of their clubs .

And how will that manipulation be executed Mark?

55 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

And how will that manipulation be executed Mark?

See Conte Kante's post above .

Thats just one way of subtly skewing things .

The phrase " Not an obvious mistake " is another and one that is open to interpretation and grey areas instead of exact scientific evidence.

I'm just watching Spurs winner against Villa ,clear and obvious foul in the build up , VAR nowhere to be seen , 3 points for one of their favourites SKY show the replay twice not a murmer from the commentary team.

Like that.

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The phrase " Not an obvious mistake " is another and one that is open to interpretation and grey areas instead of exact scientific evidence.

I'm just watching Spurs winner against Villa ,clear and obvious foul in the build up , VAR nowhere to be seen , 3 points for one of their favourites SKY show the replay twice not a murmer from the commentary team.

Like that.

Indeed. The 'not obvious' thing pretty much allows them to go one way or the other on various things. Going back to the Tottenham game, McGinn also had a penalty shout where he protected the ball and took the hit, although went down easy - he did not appeal. My feeling when seeing it was, if that was Salah that is a penalty. 

Edit - I only saw it once so if they Spud got the ball then fair play. 

9 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Like that.

I see. So it's not the technology itself, it's the way it's implemented.

Changing the system to allow each manager to have a defined number of challenges and show the reviews in the stadium would get around that I think.

1 minute ago, PeteRobbo said:

Changing the system to allow each manager to have a defined number of challenges and show the reviews in the stadium would get around that I think.

I expect with the amount of money involved that's the last thing SKY and the Premier league want .

13 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I expect with the amount of money involved that's the last thing SKY and the Premier league want .

Yes, but then you're a dyed-in-the-wool conspiracy theorist are you not? In fact, it seems to me that if what I've just suggested were implemented and the possibility of corruption eradicated, then I even wonder if you might not be more disappointed than pleased. Its would take away your mission in life.

Despite all of the various conspiracy theory claims and instances of media representation that I've heard on here, pretty much ever since I first joined the Forum, are we not the club who's nevertheless won the most stuff since the Roman era started?

8 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yes, but then you're a dyed-in-the-wool conspiracy theorist are you not? In fact, it seems to me that if what I've just suggested were implemented and the possibility of corruption eradicated, then I even wonder if you might not be more disappointed than pleased. Its would take away your mission in life.

Despite all of the various conspiracy theory claims and instances of media representation that I've heard on here, pretty much ever since I first joined the Forum, are we not the club who's nevertheless won the most stuff since the Roman era started?

I think your idea would help a lot and hopefully it will come in somewhere down the line as VAR is here to stay. The only problem with it could be the strategic use of it but that is better than the grey areas. As for the trophies, yes. However, there have also been a number of occasions where we got heavily screwed that some people find hard to accept. For instance, I personally believe that with the current VAR situation it is more to do with the pressure the refs feel from the media/football community rather than a dislike of Chelsea and/or other clubs per se. 

1 minute ago, Conte Kante said:

I think your idea would help a lot and hopefully it will come in somewhere down the line as VAR is here to stay. The only problem with it could be the strategic use of it but that is better than the grey areas. As for the trophies, yes. However, there have also been a number of occasions where we got heavily screwed that some people find hard to accept. For instance, I personally believe that with the current VAR situation it is more to do with the pressure the refs feel from the media/football community rather than a dislike of Chelsea and/or other clubs per se. 

Yep, fair enough. I've always felt though, that the key to resolving the arguments about VAR, or any other video replay system, would be to allow each side to call for its implementation when they felt they had a case, rather than leave it to the officials to decide when to use it with some mumbo-jumbo about areas of significant doubt etc.

47 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Like that.

Was just about to point out same.

37 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Moreover it is why it is implemented.  (to protect refs from being accused of bias while allowing as much or more bias to exist.  To re-direct from the genuine allegation that refs are biased over games, months and seasons,  to switch to the phoney allegation which no one ever made, that refs can at times make genuine mistakes)

Ever since Sky started we have seen how 3 blokes reviewing an incident on TV in a tin can are able to show appalling bias week in week out on behalf of the same clubs.  What's new with VAR?

42 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

The defined number of challenges is what works right in Cricket, True.  That it is rare that cricket players or fans think umpires are outright cheats (and when Pakistan do say so, everyone ignores them anyway).

But challenges don't work in football, there are no natural breaks for review points.  VAR in rugby is a terrible bore on TV (in fact it has made real time rugby impossible to watch - especially when you can watch the whole game in 1 hour later in the evening).
The fact that there is so much inconsistency on basics like when to blow for off-side shows both how hard it is to set clear rules about using VAR and how easy it is for refs to abuse it.
Football VAR is like Cricket VAR where only the ref decides on when the appeals go in.

Showing VAR replays on big screens doesn't help because the bias/corruption/fix is in deciding what to review, not in the decisions.
And I suspect for Football, the Police and club security would be against it.

13 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Football VAR is like Cricket VAR where only the ref decides on when the appeals go in.

That isn’t true, this season the ‘VAR’ ref can inform the on field ref if they have missed something.

There is a video showing how it operates on the Sky website.