• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Leicester 1

kev61   
3 minutes ago, OfWolfAndBiggs said:

On a separate note, why on earth did Willian take that corner when Mount was still on the pitch? Willian, like Hazard, takes dreadful corners yet I thought Mounts delivery was decent. 

In today's football players are 'asked' what to do and not 'told' - the tail is wagging the dog.

29 minutes ago, OfWolfAndBiggs said:

On a separate note, why on earth did Willian take that corner when Mount was still on the pitch? Willian, like Hazard, takes dreadful corners yet I thought Mounts delivery was decent. 

And ditto why on earth did Mount take that Free kick while Willian was still on the pitch.  Willian's corner, Mount's free kick and Zouma's crazy shot were dreadful pieces of football.

Didn't understand why Jorginho came off - anyone think he was injured?
A tired Mount I would have understood, Pulisic and Giroud coming off made sense, Pedo would have made sense, but why Jorginho?  (he has been very good so far).

23 minutes ago, kev61 said:

In today's football players are 'asked' what to do and not 'told' - the tail is wagging the dog.

I think it has been evident for quite a while that Willian is not really a person that can be counted on as either a team player or a player that makes the right choice in the final third of the pitch. Tbf, coming on today was tough as Leicester were right at it by that point and he has not had a preseason. 

As for the game, I think MotD did a good analysis of why Giroud has to start our games at this point and does what I and a few others have said, he is the one that brings the attacking midfield into play. Obviously, the probably is that he only has 60 minutes in him. 

6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

And ditto why on earth did Mount take that Free kick while Willian was still on the pitch.  Willian's corner, Mount's free kick and Zouma's crazy shot were dreadful pieces of football.

A tired Mount I would have understood, Pulisic and Giroud coming off made sense, Pedo would have made sense, but why Jorginho?  (he has been very good so far).

I said at half time we needed Kova on for Mount. For me, Mount is a very good player and could be great but it was becoming obvious that we needed to become more tactically disciplined in both shape and positioning. Taking Jorgi off was very strange if it was for anything other than an injury. 

2 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I think it has been evident for quite a while that Willian is not really a person that can be counted on as either a team player or a player that makes the right choice in the final third of the pitch. Tbf, coming on today was tough as Leicester were right at it by that point and he has not had a preseason. 

I think there is a load of bollocks talked about Willian (much as there was about Malouda near the end of his time here).  Last month he was still being used by Brazil.
AMs have up and down performances.  A lot depends on how the oppo are set up, and just luck - just as CFs have up and down games.  In a team that has got weaker substantially in the last two seasons (while his peer, Hazard got better) it is no surprise that he (and Pedro) have appeared to sub-perform.

He is no more lazy than Malouda was a coward.  Too many people wanting to make CHO a permanent starter I guess.

5 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I said at half time we needed Kova on for Mount. For me, Mount is a very good player and could be great but it was becoming obvious that we needed to become more tactically disciplined in both shape and positioning. Taking Jorgi off was very strange if it was for anything other than an injury. 

There is a lot more balance with Jorginho Kane and Kovacic I agree.  But much less of the adventurousness that SFL apparently likes.  Kovacic for Jorginho makes no sense at all to me.  And I too would have taken Mount off, but at least I can see some logic in keeping Mount on.
Barkley for Mount was an option to rest Mount and keep the same shape - but I'm pleased that didn't happen.

kev61   
5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

See here is a classic case of one man's meat is another man's poison - Jorginho  did nothing and is a nothing player and is a placebo to people that should know better.

Holymoly   

It's a learning experience for everyone I would imagine trying to integrate so many young players at the same time. Regarding Willian I said a few weeks ago that the disposal of David Luiz may have an adverse effect on the remaining Brazilians and that is what I would put it down to, especially given their partnership in the restaurant. Overall however I see so much potrential in the squad that I'm not too bothered only having 1 point after two games. What we need to work on is maintaining the form of the fantastic starts we've seen in each of the last 3 games so far. Our initial enthusiasm seems to run out, our concentration seems to waver and we begin running around like headless chickens. This is the point the experienced vets need to step up and begin directing the team on the pitch. Pedro needs to stop trying to be the post-Hazard saviour and concentrate on what made him so successful in the first place. Finally I think we need to start Giroud in the majority of games and play him until his legs drop off. Abraham will still get his minutes and hopefully be more successful against tiring opponents.

3 minutes ago, kev61 said:

See here is a classic case of one man's meat is another man's poison - Jorginho  did nothing and is a nothing player and is a placebo to people that should know better.

:)  I think this is about as prescient about Jorginho's coming downfall as you have been about JM for the past 15 years.

9 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think there is a load of bollocks talked about Willian (much as there was about Malouda near the end of his time here).  Last month he was still being used by Brazil.
AMs have up and down performances.  A lot depends on how the oppo are set up, and just luck - just as CFs have up and down games.  In a team that has got weaker substantially in the last two seasons (while his peer, Hazard got better) it is no surprise that he (and Pedro) have appeared to sub-perform.

He is no more lazy than Malouda was a coward.  Too many people wanting to make CHO a permanent starter I guess.

There is a lot more balance with Jorginho Kane and Kovacic I agree.  But much less of the adventurousness that SFL apparently likes.  Kovacic for Jorginho makes no sense at all to me.  And I too would have taken Mount off, but at least I can see some logic in keeping Mount on.
Barkley for Mount was an option to rest Mount and keep the same shape - but I'm pleased that didn't happen.

Did I say Willian was lazy? I have never thought or said that. What I have said about him is that a) his decision making when in the final third is poor, which is reflected in both is scoring and assits record and b) he is not a leader/team player, which is reflected a lot in his throwing up of arms, disappearing from games and pulling stunts like he did after the FA Cup final in 2018. 

As for Kova, I see your arguement for Barkley but he also is not the most tactically disciplined nor great at keeping possession. For me in a 433 he should be played in the front three rather than the midfield 3. 

5 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Did I say Willian was lazy? I have never thought or said that. What I have said about him is that a) his decision making when in the final third is poor, which is reflected in both is scoring and assits record and b) he is not a leader/team player, which is reflected a lot in his throwing up of arms, disappearing from games and pulling stunts like he did after the FA Cup final in 2018. 

Not you - but there have been other comments by various others today and especially last season.  Little of it fits with Willian still playing in competitions for Brazil, albeit as sub.
Certainly today's was an odd performance though.

7 minutes ago, King Kante said:

As for Kova, I see your arguement for Barkley but he also is not the most tactically disciplined nor great at keeping possession. For me in a 433 he should be played in the front three rather than the midfield 3. 

It wasn't my argument for Barkley - I just think it must have been an option Frank considered.  But I said at H/T the choice for No 8 leftover from last season between RLC Kovacic and Barkley has been made in my mind - Mount.
Kovacic as back up for Kante or Jorginho.  RLC at AM.