• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Leicester 1

34 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

15 years ago when I worked for an Italian bank, it would be quite common for an Italian to be working in the London branch with little or no English.  30 years ago, when Sarri left banking it would have been the rule.

Sorry Droy, but 31years ago, when I left banking in the uk, if you didn’t speak English, you were going to have a hard time of it. Sure there were those who only spoke their native lingo, but they had difficulties. I think he’d have learned to get by

Sciatika   

I am struggling to see the relevance of this, but my experience of the use of English Language in banks in London varies a lot with the type of bank and the function of the employee. For instance, an employee working in wealth management for high-value customers located in non-Engish-speaking countries might only need limited English language skills. Often, they spend most of their time with customers and small numbers of local counterparties. In many ways, they could do their jobs remotely but part of the job is being perceived to be plugged into a central nexus of international investment. The high-value customer sees a benefit in talking directly to someone in London in their native language. Having said that, their English tends to be very good for cultural rather than employment reasons. However, someone working in a technical or administrative area would find it very hard without a good command of English.

9 hours ago, Ham said:

Abuse? How is saying that JM gave long answers abuse?

It's a fact. He did it.  It was one of his traits. 

My god you're getting more and more precious about JM by the day and it's getting a bit Waco-like. 

*Cue a stock response. 

Keep trying.  Or maybe move on to something you have to say yourself.

9 hours ago, blue moon said:

Sorry Droy, but 31years ago, when I left banking in the uk, if you didn’t speak English, you were going to have a hard time of it. Sure there were those who only spoke their native lingo, but they had difficulties. I think he’d have learned to get by

Were you working in a small foreign bank, or have them for clients?

There were staff at very small foreign banks in London 30 years ago with no English - I was working in the City at the time.
Moreover Sarri worked in multiple European countries we are told.  It would have been just as hard to work in say Germany or France then without German or French as in England without English.  Is anyone saying he must be fluent in 3 or 4 languages?

And then we are talking about Italy.  Probably the only country in Europe with lower foreign language skills than the British.  Still true now, but especially true back in the 80s.

10 hours ago, Ham said:

Abuse? How is saying that JM gave long answers abuse?

It's a fact. He did it.  It was one of his traits. 

My god you're getting more and more precious about JM by the day and it's getting a bit Waco-like. 

*Cue a stock response. 

Tbh I didn't really even understand his answer and just brushed over it. I assumed he wasn't accusing me of abusing JM because I've always been one of his biggest supporters and Droy is well aware of that. But I think Droy realises that he can't keep accusing Lampard of talking too much when Mourinho would talk for England. Neither is particularly a fault in my book  , just an observation. I'd rather have that  and a bit of waffle than two word answers.  But thats just me. 

As a foot note old Sarri aint too well at the moment...bad case of Pneumonia (I had it as a fit young man and I thought I was on the way out). He will not be back at Juve for a while apparently. I think I speak for everyone when I say we wish him a full and speedy recovery.

paulw66   
4 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

As a foot note old Sarri aint too well at the moment...bad case of Pneumonia (I had it as a fit young man and I thought I was on the way out). He will not be back at Juve for a while apparently. I think I speak for everyone when I say we wish him a full and speedy recovery.

yes, agree.

I can't imagine 60 a day is helping his health! 

6 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

hear hear.

4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I can't imagine 60 a day is helping his health! 

It can't help anyone. That is an awful of lot of nicotine and poison going into your body.. I was a light smoker back then but pneumonia stopped me in my tracks. 

Maybe that will happen with Sarri. He really needs to quit coz its going to kill him.

Ham   
3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Keep trying.  Or maybe move on to something you have to say yourself.

Keep trying what? Calling out your BS?

For the record I agree that JM waffled on in press conferences. It's a fact.

It's not "JM abuse".