• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Leicester 1

paulw66   
9 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Mount and Abraham to start for me.

Curious to the reasoning here.

The difference between last Sunday and Wednesday was noticeable, largely due to the extra experience on the field, and Kante obviously. Less naive in all areas.

In a ridiculous way, Sunday is a must win. I'd start with Giroud for sure. Mount possibly in midfield but not in the front 3. Pulisic and Pedro or Willian depending on their respective fitness.

paulw66   

If Willian and Rudiger are in proper cotention, the squad is starting to look a lot healthier:

Kepa, Willy

Rudiger, AC, Zouma Tomori, Emerson, Alonso, Azpi, Zappa,

Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic, Barkely, Mount,

Pulisic, Willian, Pedro, Kenedy

Giroud, Abraham, Batshuyai. 

Leaving James, CHO, and RLC as the only absentees. 

8 defenders, and only 7 attackers (including Kenedy).......lopsided squad. 

23 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

If Willian and Rudiger are in proper cotention, the squad is starting to look a lot healthier:

Kepa, Willy

Rudiger, AC, Zouma Tomori, Emerson, Alonso, Azpi, Zappa,

Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic, Barkely, Mount,

Pulisic, Willian, Pedro, Kenedy

Giroud, Abraham, Batshuyai. 

Leaving James, CHO, and RLC as the only absentees. 

8 defenders, and only 7 attackers (including Kenedy).......lopsided squad. 

I know Bakayojo isn't everyones cup of tea (understatement of the year), but he's still in the squad!

paulw66   
2 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

I know Bakayojo isn't everyones cup of tea (understatement of the year), but he's still in the squad!

How could I forget!? 

Difficult game, especially after Wednesday and although it sounds a bit silly it is almost a must win, if we dont the pressure on Lampard will start to build.

If everyone from Wednesday is fit and available I'd start the same team with the exception of Tammy. Unlike most I think he done ok when he can on and played well enough against United. The big difference from Giroud is his willingness to make runs, he's always looking to play on the shoulder of the last defender and get in behind and his pressing is far, far superior. 

Another reason I'd go with him is for his confidence. It was a big shout playing him away at Old Trafford so to not play against liverpool,  come on miss a sitter, then a penalty and not play the next game could dent him a little. Like most strikers he's a confidence player, I just think he needs to score, the sooner the better. If we include pre season, which I know doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things but if we do he hasn't had the greatest start to the season. he's missed some very good chances when he really needed to hit the ground running. 

Sure the safe thing to do would be to start Giroud again but in the long term I feel Tammy has to get a run of games, if he hadn't started against United and then earned his way into the team by coming off the bench and starting lesser games it would be different but Frank went with him in one of our biggest games of the season and unless that was tactical or for fitness reasons I feel he has to keep faith, stick with him and reassess after a good run in the team.

I've always felt Giroud is at his best coming on later in games when you are chasing a goal and adopt a more direct approach. He can be a weapon coming off the bench against tired defenders but for me he's never been the type of striker I'd want staring week in week out.

Must win this one, we can't get away with coming out afterwards and talking about pride and being the better team but being unlucky etc, we just HAVE to win it. Some decisions to be made (fitness and preference wise), personally I'd go with:

Kepa

Azpi Christensen Zouma Alonso

Kante Jorginho

Barkley Mount Pulisic

Abraham

Bench: Caballero, Tomori, Emerson, Kovacic, Pedro, Willian, Giroud

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

The difference between last Sunday and Wednesday was noticeable, largely due to the extra experience on the field, and Kante obviously. Less naive in all areas.

Well no - the difference was an extra man in midfield (433 instead of 4231), the ground covered by Kante, and the absence of huge gaps between midfield and defence.  If you want to put that down to experience it was the experience of Lampard 1 competitive game into his Chelsea management career.
On the pitch Kante is just 3 years older than Barkley, Pulisic the same age more or less as Mount, and the difference between one CF and another makes no odds if the change is the gap between defence and midfield.  I'm pretty sure that Abraham can "not press" just as well as Giroud if so asked.

49 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Zappa and Bats were on the massive (12 man) bench in Turkey.  So was Billy Gilmour.   Sure room for Baka could have been found.  On his way somewhere I guess.  Maybe not the last.

26 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

If everyone from Wednesday is fit and available I'd start the same team with the exception of Tammy. Unlike most I think he done ok when he can on and played well enough against United. The big difference from Giroud is his willingness to make runs, he's always looking to play on the shoulder of the last defender and get in behind and his pressing is far, far superior. ..............

It is strikers making runs inside the box that I have barely seen.  Bats does it a bit but is rubbish at so much of the game.  Higuain did it a little but not a lot.  If you watch Tammy when anyone else has the ball in their half of the pitch he looks lit up, on the balls of his feet, making steps left and right to confuse the defender before charging for the near post.  It is like a coaching video every time.

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

In a ridiculous way, Sunday is a must win. I'd start with Giroud for sure. Mount possibly in midfield but not in the front 3. Pulisic and Pedro or Willian depending on their respective fitness.

Abraham is a lot quicker and ready to exploit space, and even throughout pre-season you could see that Lampard wants to press.  IMO, the team works better with Abraham in there. I know that Giroud scored but he is the weaker player right now. Tammy looks fit, sharp and if he gets a goal you would feel that he can go on a really prolific run. 

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well no - the difference was an extra man in midfield (433 instead of 4231), the ground covered by Kante, and the absence of huge gaps between midfield and defence.  If you want to put that down to experience it was the experience of Lampard 1 competitive game into his Chelsea management career.
On the pitch Kante is just 3 years older than Barkley, Pulisic the same age more or less as Mount, and the difference between one CF and another makes no odds if the change is the gap between defence and midfield.  I'm pretty sure that Abraham can "not press" just as well as Giroud if so asked.

Zappa and Bats were on the massive (12 man) bench in Turkey.  So was Billy Gilmour.   Sure room for Baka could have been found.  On his way somewhere I guess.  Maybe not the last.

It is strikers making runs inside the box that I have barely seen.  Bats does it a bit but is rubbish at so much of the game.  Higuain did it a little but not a lot.  If you watch Tammy when anyone else has the ball in their half of the pitch he looks lit up, on the balls of his feet, making steps left and right to confuse the defender before charging for the near post.  It is like a coaching video every time.

I know where you are coming from Droy but I think it is also fair to say Giroud made a positive impact for us on Wednesday. Where Giroud made the difference was with his holding play, which allowed us to go long and act as a link with the AM's to bring them into the game more. This was vital as Tammy has not shown he can do this to as high a standard, which then makes the AM's less effective and also puts more pressure on the defensive players as they do not have the long out ball. 

For me, Tammy is at his best playing on the shoulder of the defenses and running in the channels rather than as a target man, think Torres rather than Drogba. This is also how Villa played him. Now I am not saying he cannot add those qualities to his game, as he can, but expecting him to do so whilst playing for a top club that has designs on a top 6 finish and has to compete in the CL is a lot. Especially as our best target men CF's in the past 20 years, Costa and Drogba, did not display such qualities consistently until they are in their mid-20's. 

This is not to be harsh on Tammy as I like him but at the same time, of all the youth players, he has the hardest job due to the lone CF role being the hardest position on the pitch to play especially as a youngester. For me, in an ideal world he would have stayed at Villa this season and come back next as that way he would have had some consistency of playing with the same players and he could have built his experience in a less pressured environment. 

4 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

I know where you are coming from Droy but I think it is also fair to say Giroud made a positive impact for us on Wednesday.

One is 21, the other is 33 next month.  Neither are what we want this season.  But then that is true for LB, CB2, CM3, LW, RW and possibly RB too.  An awful lot to do right now.