• Current Donation Goals

exiledblue

Tammy Abraham

paulw66   
5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Tammy is very professional I get it.  But to question Drogba's professionalism is a bit odd.
I still think he was an occasional basketball player with basketball moves but also basketball mannerisms when celebrating.  A lot of the mistrust of him (and Malouda) was because he represented a French black urban culture which most Chelsea fans did not recognise or care for.

You're not seriously suggesting there were doubts over Drogba because of his skin colour?

16 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You're not seriously suggesting there were doubts over Drogba because of his skin colour?

No, that isn't what I said.  It was the French + basketball style that upset people.  It was different, very different from say British black which largely is the same as British white.  A lot more strutting around, posing instead of running to the fans.  Just different.  

Cantona was the same.  Also seen as arrogant.  So French, yes.  Basketball, yes.  Colour no.

paulw66   
Just now, Droy was my hero said:

No, that isn't what I said.  It was the French + basketball style that upset people.  It was different, very different from say British black which largely is the same as British white.  A lot more strutting around, posing instead of running to the fans.  Just different.  

Cantona was the same.  Also seen as arrogant.  So French, yes.  Basketball, yes.  Colour no.

Gotcha. 

chara   

Loved DD and would never put him down but I don't think he would have scored Tammy's first goal....not a diss on DD ..different players and Tammy is at the beginning of his time.

Jasonb   
4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Tammy is very professional I get it.  But to question Drogba's professionalism is a bit odd.
I still think he was an occasional basketball player with basketball moves but also basketball mannerisms when celebrating.  A lot of the mistrust of him (and Malouda) was because he represented a French black urban culture which most Chelsea fans did not recognise or care for.

Drogba was diving all over the place when he came here and some of his reactions on the pitch after those matches in the Champions league where we exited controversially were unprofessional to me at least.

3 hours ago, Jasonb said:

Drogba was diving all over the place when he came here

He really wasn't.  Quite why people fell for the Times campaign against Chelsea remains a mystery.  Chelsea fans included.

3 hours ago, Jasonb said:

some of his reactions on the pitch after those matches in the Champions league where we exited controversially were unprofessional to me at least.

I only recall one such moment - but I bet there are dozens of such moments at many games by other clubs and other players which were not shown live and never mentioned.
It is funny how some people recall Drogba's reaction and yet forget the cause.  

Jasonb   
11 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

He really wasn't.  Quite why people fell for the Times campaign against Chelsea remains a mystery.  Chelsea fans included.

My recollection in that first season was that he was falling over at any opportunity. 

The belief was that Terry had a quiet word with him.

The subsequent seasons he was much better.

51 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

My recollection in that first season was that he was falling over at any opportunity. 

My recollection of Drogba's entire time here is that, and I've had this debate with an awful lot of people over the years, that you will struggle to find a single clip of him anywhere actually diving.Yes he went down easy and quite theatrically at times but there was always contact.

paulw66   
19 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

My recollection of Drogba's entire time here is that, and I've had this debate with an awful lot of people over the years, that you will struggle to find a single clip of him anywhere actually diving.Yes he went down easy and quite theatrically at times but there was always contact.

This. 

Often went down easily, and that annoyed people, but never actual "simulation"