• Current Donation Goals

exiledblue

Tammy Abraham

paulw66   
37 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Yes, Tammy has been great and at just 22 he is proving that he is capable of playing for a club like us which is a very good feat and one that I was hopeful of when when watching him in the development teams. 

However, I am not certain at this point if he will be our CF1 once we can sign players. The reason I say this is that he still hasn't done anything in the big games and all his goals have come in games against teams we already knew he would score against. I know this sounds incredibly harsh, and it is, but if you want to be a CF1 for a team that wants to compete in the top 4 and beyond, you have to do it in the big games. Drogba and Costa where text book examples of this. 

That said, I do see him being here a long time and being a successful player for us, while the only big games he has played in came pretty quickly. However, I think with all the young boys, we need to take in more games and see how they deal with down moments before we can say that they are ready to be Chelsea players long term. 

Incredibly harsh. Hit the post against United too. 

Drogba and Costa, the two examples you pick out were doing what at aged 22? 

Edit - scoring goals against the poorer teams is equally important. Every game worth 3 points. Last season we struggled to score against quite a few teams we would expect to beat. 

Edited by paulw66

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Very good point.  I think it is fair to say that we don't know whether Tammy is going to lead the line for the next 3 - 8 years and help us win 2 titles.  But he is certainly progressing very rapidly, still rapidly.  He has 13 Premier league goals, only 3 fewer than a very expensive CF we bought from RM.

To take King Kante's point seriously though, if we were to upgrade the team to something like the two more recent title winning teams, we would have to upgrade on probably all positions except Rudiger, Jorginho, Kante and perhaps Kepa (we can argue that elsewhere).  That is 7 places

James, Christensen or Tomori, Mount, Abraham, CHO and Pulisic might or might not prove to be up to 6 of those places by 2021.  

If you had the money you'd buy 7 upgrades for the 7 places and challenge the young players prove themselves better.  We can't afford that and I think Tammy has more claim than anyone to be considered a starter.

(Still plenty of time to observe before decisions get made around March).

15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Every game worth 3 points.

But not every goal.  Still most of the talk about some players scoring key goals is twaddle.  Generally the important goals get shared out amongst all the goal scorers, as do the unimportant ones.

19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Incredibly harsh. Hit the post against United too. 

Edit - scoring goals against the poorer teams is equally important. Every game worth 3 points. Last season we struggled to score against quite a few teams we would expect to beat. 

I agree and this is something I have brought up on numberous occassions. Tammy's job is the hardest of all the young boys as lone CF is the hardest job on the pitch and one that is not usually done at a high level until a player is in their mid-20's. 

As I said, in my first post Tammy has done great so far and it is encouraging. However, and really this is a boarder point than Tammy, but I do not want us to end up carried away with promoting youth players and not approaching the market properly. By this, I mean I do not want to fall into the Wenger Arsenal trap of thinking transfers in only need to be minimal/for squad filler as in two years time x, y or z will be a world class player. I say this as already we have posters saying we do not really need signings in certain areas as we are already stocked with youth players. 

For example, at CF I really want to see a top quality player come in, say a Werner or someone similar, as for me both Giroud and Bats do not cut it (although if Bats is happy to be CF3 then that would be great.) This will put pressure on Tammy but for me that is a good thing and we should not shy away from such transfers. 

51 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Yes, Tammy has been great and at just 22 he is proving that he is capable of playing for a club like us which is a very good feat and one that I was hopeful of when when watching him in the development teams. 

However, I am not certain at this point if he will be our CF1 once we can sign players. The reason I say this is that he still hasn't done anything in the big games and all his goals have come in games against teams we already knew he would score against. I know this sounds incredibly harsh, and it is, but if you want to be a CF1 for a team that wants to compete in the top 4 and beyond, you have to do it in the big games. Drogba and Costa where text book examples of this. 

That said, I do see him being here a long time and being a successful player for us, while the only big games he has played in came pretty quickly. However, I think with all the young boys, we need to take in more games and see how they deal with down moments before we can say that they are ready to be Chelsea players long term. 

Too early to say with regards to long term success. Morata had a similar record after his first few games and tanked, Drogba got 10 league goals in his whole first season and went on to be a legend. Have to say I've been impressed with his all round contribution apart from goals, something I wasnt expecting and something he has in common with Costa and Drogs. I'm sure he will go through a lean spell, all strikers do, the priority given to signing a striker may rest on how the other two step up in that event

38 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Drogba got 10 league goals in his whole first season and went on to be a legend.

Drogba was already a legend  - ask Marseilles.  10 goals in 18 starts was pretty impressive too.  12 in 20 the next year too.  It just took a while for most of us to catch up.

Kudos to anyone with a Drogba 15 shirt.  

paulw66   
48 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Very good point.  I think it is fair to say that we don't know whether Tammy is going to lead the line for the next 3 - 8 years and help us win 2 titles.  But he is certainly progressing very rapidly, still rapidly.  He has 13 Premier league goals, only 3 fewer than a very expensive CF we bought from RM.

Agreed on all counts. His upward trajectory in the last 2 months has been incredible. If he continues, then the sky is limit. 

chara   

A little bit of the "only" ..name your side.. Tammy scored against...goals against ANY side make a difference..obvious but please see the point ..take Wolves this weekend..the longer a game goes on without conceding the more likely a "lesser" side will make a break and score..no good being way the better side if no goals go in..all the sides Tammy scored against pretty much dropped their heads after a goal....if Citeh had scored at any stage Wolves would have been in a totally different situation in the last 15 minutes as it was they got(earned) the breaks and did the business..it's been done to Chelsea.

Love to watch Tammy and the almost naïve enjoyment and effort and the other youngsters as well..such a welcome change from our recent past.....if Chelsea do well this season GREAT.but as long as we can see a way forward it will be a good season.

The thing about Tammy is he seems to have a great attitude and a lot of confidence. Rio Ferdinand noted the type of goals he has been scoring as well and its not just poacher finishes. He does some really good things - plays off the last defender, can work the channels, can play with his back to goal, movement off the ball, pace.. honestly he has a whole lot to work with.

His movement off the ball has been critical to how we are playing at the moment. Comparing him to Costa and Drogba, maybe his playing style is more comparable to Costa IMO.

Drogba possessed greatness though so if in 10 years we are discussing Drogs and Tammy in the same sentence it would have meant that Tammy did very well over his career.

• Like 1

Jasonb   
9 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

The thing about Tammy is he seems to have a great attitude and a lot of confidence. Rio Ferdinand noted the type of goals he has been scoring as well and its not just poacher finishes. He does some really good things - plays off the last defender, can work the channels, can play with his back to goal, movement off the ball, pace.. honestly he has a whole lot to work with.

His movement off the ball has been critical to how we are playing at the moment. Comparing him to Costa and Drogba, maybe his playing style is more comparable to Costa IMO.

Drogba possessed greatness though so if in 10 years we are discussing Drogs and Tammy in the same sentence it would have meant that Tammy did very well over his career.

I was reading a suggestion that he was like Drogba on another forum and of course there are superficial similarities yet I think Tammy is surprisingly more mature in how he handles himself in the game. 

42 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I was reading a suggestion that he was like Drogba on another forum and of course there are superficial similarities yet I think Tammy is surprisingly more mature in how he handles himself in the game. 

Tammy is very professional I get it.  But to question Drogba's professionalism is a bit odd.
I still think he was an occasional basketball player with basketball moves but also basketball mannerisms when celebrating.  A lot of the mistrust of him (and Malouda) was because he represented a French black urban culture which most Chelsea fans did not recognise or care for.