• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Sheffield United 2

I never saw the whole match but although we threw away a 2 goal lead we can learn where our deficiencies lie. It only becomes an issue if we dont learn and adapt

We never lost which is in my mind for now the main thing . Its early days for this young team and for me a draw is a positive.  Or at least not a negative 

I saw the brief highlights on MOTD so I can't comment too much on this one, but from what I can and have read, Azpi's decline is steeper than Ivanovic's a few seasons ago and is a massive concern. I was impressed with Reece James last season, but if he can produce that in the PL is a big unknown, so if he can't and we can't sign anyone in the January window then we're in a bit of trouble.

Not sure why Christensen was rested/dropped yesterday, but I'd have kept him rather than Zouma to bring Tomori in (that said, it sounds as thou 3 of the back 4 did ok anyway.

Pulisic is a slight concern for me, I'm sure he'll do well for us but I just don't think he should be a regular starter for us yet. That said, Frank is kind of being forced into it by injuries.

The CM is my biggest worry, without Kante in there we are so poor, we look so lightweight in the middle of the park. Injuries not helping Frank out, but we need to get back to a 433 in my opinion.

Plus points still remain Tammy and Mount for me, I just hope it continues when the opposition level increases after the international break.

Most of us knew this would be a difficult season and patience was key, so I'm not too worried for the moment and still hopeful of a top 6 finish, which I think given the circumstances would be a decent finish.

GURJ SS   

We need our players back and fit asap, at the moment I can't judge the team too much as it isn't really the full team for me.

Kepa; Dave, Chris, Rudi, Emerson; Kante, *Jorge; Willian, RLC, Pedro; Giroud;

Subs: Caba; Zouma; Kova, Mount; Barkley, Pulisic; Tammy;

Everyone will differ on who they would have in their team and on the bench, but for me **6/7 players were missing from the starting line up.

Over the course of the season for me it would be about bringing players like Zouma, Mount, Pulisic and Tammy into the game more and more, instead due to certain players missing I'd like to think Frank is doing what he's doing to try and provide some sort of balance to the team in terms of physical attributes; however his decision making yesterday was probably at fault more than anything else, it was 100% the wrong time to give Gilmour a debut and Giroud should have been the man to help with his experience to bring some game management when winning possession. Is this Frank just trying to make things work without his full squad or is he really making solid mistakes by picking to bring the wrong players on at the wrong time?...only time will tell.

*It really is a toss up between Jorge and Kova for me, while I think Kova would bring far more dynamism to the side I think without Jorge we'll struggle to bring the ball out from the back and keep things calm; we might end up becoming even more frantic and gung ho with every attack. I'd rather players further forward be more risky in possession and someone in Jorge's position just help recycle possession and look for the ball over the top. Only if Kova could improve his shooting and become a goal scorer, he'd be the perfect number 10 (very Oscar like, creative but gets stuck in when they need to).

**I think the reason Zouma has to play at the moment is because he can replace a part of what Rudi does in the backline, however when Rudi is back I can see Chris coming back into the starting lineup. If Zouma doesn't play when Rudi is missing we'll have little or no physicality left in the backline.

Edited by GURJ SS

Holymoly   
6 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

True but that was one game.  It has been true of 4 PL games already this season.

And fitness seems to be a massive problem.  

Average age 24 for this game. I think it just goes to prove stamina comes with experience. And that's it, it's stamina not fitness as such. I'm still enormously positive about the outlook for this club if SFL is allowed to continue this evolution. We have such a lot of talent knocking on the door.

Holymoly   
33 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I saw the brief highlights on MOTD so I can't comment too much on this one, but from what I can and have read, Azpi's decline is steeper than Ivanovic's a few seasons ago and is a massive concern. I was impressed with Reece James last season, but if he can produce that in the PL is a big unknown, so if he can't and we can't sign anyone in the January window then we're in a bit of trouble.

Don't quite understand this hate being piled on our captain. Did you see the cross for the first goal? Did you see the skill to put Abraham in for a hattrick goal? Yes defending has become an issue but that's because the opposition has identified that he doesn't get a whole lot of help at right back and so is targetting that area of the pitch. Once Kante is back and Pulisic  learns to track back when required we will look a lot stronger on the right.

8 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Don't quite understand this hate being piled on our captain. Did you see the cross for the first goal? Did you see the skill to put Abraham in for a hattrick goal? Yes defending has become an issue but that's because the opposition has identified that he doesn't get a whole lot of help at right back and so is targetting that area of the pitch. Once Kante is back and Pulisic  learns to track back when required we will look a lot stronger on the right.

I'm a huge defender of Azpi and think his attacking contribution so far this season is being hugely overlooked (he's been excellent going forward and crossing in every game this season, no his fault it hasn't always been capitalised on) but he does look very slow and unsteady getting back and in 1-2-1 settings. I think fitness issues and a complete lack of team defending or smarts (he is often the out ball when Zouma gets stuck and has to deal with mess not of his making imo) are making him look worse than he really is, but even considering those things this is the worst I've seen him for so long a string of games for us. 

Pulisic has been completely absent helping him out. That's a steep learning curve. 

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

No - you used one line to go on a rant.

I suggest you watch the second half of the game.  Indeed the second half of every game this season.  There is a very clear pattern.  You seem to be stuck on the first 20 mins against Man U.

Interesting to see your version of what a rant is! Quite funny actually . No doubt if it had been something which you agreed with it would have been a fine and dandy post. 

What happened , was that you jumped on a perfectly normal post of mine in an accusing and quite aggressive way. 

I exchanged a couple of posts with Paul recently about Jorginho. He thought he was having a good season so far. Fair enough. I asked what Paul thought of Jorginho in the Norwich game. He said he couldnt comment as he hadn't seen the game. I didn't then jump all over him asking how the hell he could have an opinion when he hasn't seen a third of the seasons games,  I just thought there would be plenty more games that he would see Jorginho.  

Oh and when I have watched the game I will send you my up to date report and thoughts. Until then I will just maintain a polite radio silence.  

2 hours ago, r.bartlett said:

I never saw the whole match but although we threw away a 2 goal lead we can learn where our deficiencies lie. It only becomes an issue if we dont learn and adapt

We never lost which is in my mind for now the main thing . Its early days for this young team and for me a draw is a positive.  Or at least not a negative 

Agree with this. I never saw the match either so until I do, I'll better just say that the weather is not too bad for this time of year at all. How is it in Tenerife?

chelboy   
54 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I don’t know if you watched the 90 mins game but he was absolutely awful. Azpi is one of my favourite players but every time he struggled in the build up phase. He could not distribute it well or even keep it. He also struggled with many challenges and poor decisions. It was probably one of the worst performances I have ever seen from him. He floated a decent cross for Tammy in the 1st and did well to almost give him a hat trick but for the full 90 he was very poor. His biggest issue is in the build up play where time and time again he gave the ball away.  Second biggest issue is how easily it has become to get the better of him. That usually starts to show decline in a defensive player. 

Leo91   
3 hours ago, r.bartlett said:

My only worry is that from keeping an eye on Derbys results last season, they never really stopped shipping goals in.