• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Sheffield United 2

17 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

My only worry is that from keeping an eye on Derbys results last season, they never really stopped shipping goals in.

Opta had them as the worst team in the league against the counter. 

JaneB   

We are on the same number of points as Spurs.

Both Won 1, Drawn 2 and Lost 1

And Pochettino has been at it far longer than SFL, not to mention having a far more experienced side.

Panic, what panic?

And can I just add that I don't want to continually put down Azpi because he's a lovely guy and was a very classy player, but another big negative for us is that we have no leader on the field, no driving presence, no one to look to in times of crisis or when players, especially the younger ones, need encouragement or instruction.  No one to conduct operations.  It's a HUGE issue for me and even if Frank replaced Azpi, who would he do it with?

4 minutes ago, JaneB said:

And Pochettino has been at it far longer than SFL, not to mention having a far more experienced side.

Panic, what panic?

Spurs have played City and Arsenal away, probably their two hardest league fixtures of the year. 

The number of points doesn't really matter imo anyway; the just criticism at this point won't be about points on the board in August in a season we can't be expected to even come close to title-chasing, but rather about the performances and set up. 

JaneB   
9 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Spurs have played City and Arsenal away, probably their two hardest league fixtures of the year. 

The number of points doesn't really matter imo anyway; the just criticism at this point won't be about points on the board in August in a season we can't be expected to even come close to title-chasing, but rather about the performances and set up. 

I might have known you would come back with a typically articulate, sensible and polite reply 😉

3 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I saw the brief highlights on MOTD so I can't comment too much on this one, but from what I can and have read, Azpi's decline is steeper than Ivanovic's a few seasons ago and is a massive concern.

The highlights on Azpi really don't reflect the whole 90.  I watched the evening version on Sky after a quick scan on here, so was looking out for him.  Going forward he was really good again, arriving late with some great crossing.  

Azpi does seem to have lost some pace.  Part of that may be fitness - he was slow for the start of last season.  And this season he is being used equally with Emerson in getting forward whereas last year generally Alonso went and Azpi stayed.

G Neville made an interesting point today in the N London derby game about Sanchez the Spurs CB playing RB.  That FB fitness is an entirely different level to CB fitness.  I wonder if 2 seasons playing RCB affected Azpi's stamina and he needs more work.  Plus of course, he could well be carrying some kind of injury - Zappa has gone and James isn't fit, so being Azpi he'd just carry on and the club would never say anything.

1 hour ago, chelboy said:

He floated a decent cross for Tammy in the 1st and did well to almost give him a hat trick but for the full 90 he was very poor.

One assist and set up the best chance of the match.  I thought he was OK defensively and very effective with the ball overall.

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Oh and when I have watched the game I will send you my up to date report and thoughts. Until then I will just maintain a polite radio silence.  

Say what you like when you like, just don't have a go at people for having opinions of games because they have only watched 10% of the season.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Opta had them as the worst team in the league against the counter. 

Interesting.  Sounds like he just likes his teams to press for 90 mins.

I wonder sometimes if he thinks all his players are doing 30 min runs or swims in their own time after training.

Edited by Droy was my hero

4 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Don't quite understand this hate being piled on our captain. Did you see the cross for the first goal? Did you see the skill to put Abraham in for a hattrick goal? Yes defending has become an issue but that's because the opposition has identified that he doesn't get a whole lot of help at right back and so is targetting that area of the pitch. Once Kante is back and Pulisic  learns to track back when required we will look a lot stronger on the right.

Unfortunately it’s not only his defending which has been consistently poor so far this season but another obvious deficiency is the fact that azpilcueta cannot pass out of the back to save his life. Overall he simply hasn’t been good enough. This is the reality of the situation and not hate. The longer Lampard persists with him at RB, the more likely it will cost Chelsea points this season guaranteed. By the way, I noticed this pattern last season under Sarri but he’s become progressively worse notwithstanding the few positive contributions in attack. 

2 hours ago, JaneB said:

Panic, what panic?

And can I just add that I don't want to continually put down Azpi because he's a lovely guy and was a very classy player, but another big negative for us is that we have no leader on the field, no driving presence, no one to look to in times of crisis or when players, especially the younger ones, need encouragement or instruction.  No one to conduct operations.  It's a HUGE issue for me and even if Frank replaced Azpi, who would he do it with?

You’re correct except for omitting the obvious: Spurs has two quality draws away at Ettihad and Emirates. Talk about a misleading post! 

8 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well I have been away and haven't even seen the highlights of this game yet although I saw the goals on SSN. Some are saying the wrong subs were used but as I say I haven't seen it.  But just to be clear what still annoys me.

I said before the season kicked off that if Frank wins his first three PL games some people will be calling him the messiah, and if he loses his first three some will be putting the boot in saying he's facing the tintack before Christmas. Either point of view is simply daft. We have started of the league with a loss, two draws and a win. There have been positives and negatives. We have lost our star player, are not permitted to strengthen  but are still waiting the return of key players such as Rudiger, Kante, CHO and RLC. 

If I remember, you started heavily criticising Frank after the United game (first game of the season) and you weren't the only one . We didn't even get past that point. Then lots of praise from everyone after the Liverpool game, then lots of criticism after Leicester game, then lots of praise after our last game at Norwich .....I'll just copy and paste your particular comments after that game here as its worth a look :

"Excellent performance. Should have blown them away 5-2 IMO. Felt Azpili should have had a penalty as well. Most of our play was really bright, structured, good tempo, good movement.

A lot of positivity surrounding the likes of Mount, Abraham and even the impending returns of Hudson-Odoi, Loftus-Cheek and James ... Have to say, I try to not get my hopes up about anyone since Josh Mceachran tanked... but I am getting a bit carried away with these guys.

Very happy for Tammy. Both goals were excellent. But I like his pace, his control, his movement and most of all his confidence in himself. That's something that great strikers must have. Drogba, Henry, Eto'o, Aguero, Kane, Costa... they're all very confident in the way they carry about themselves."

It sounds like the United was a distant memory at that point and the future looked bright. Now apparently we must scrub that positivity and refer back to the United game.  I do realise that this will be the nature of this season as some people think that they might have been wrong and then the next game think that were right after all. I've no problem with mind changing but when its game to game it can get a bit exhausting trying to follow everyones position.

Personally, like others,  I can see a few patterns developing. Our defence , or the protection of our defence is failing. Azpi is a difficult one to drop as he is the skipper but we cannot carry on like this. We drop him or go back to a back three with him,  Rudiger and Christenson. But then again Dave could regain his form suddenly...we don't know... but it is Lampards call and a difficult one. On the plus side , the goal drought that I was worrying about, hasn't happened. We have scored 7 goals so far this season and deservedly so. Could and should have been more.  

We are mid table after 4 games. At the moment I'm keeping calm and carrying on. After 6 or 7 more games we should have a more solid idea where we are in the big scheme of things.  

Except you have, once again, evaded the point about changing game conditions and Frank's ability to adapt to those changes.

The fact that I pointed out the positive things after our only win of the season doesn't quite negate what I said about Frank's adaptability, does it?

Let's be clear for a minute that the conditions of the United, Leicester and Sheffield games changed quite dramatically from a tactical POV whereas Klopp, unsurprisingly, made very little tactical adjustments (if any) during the Super Cup and Norwich also just kept playing their own game as well.

What about the opponents who change things though?

Should I just bury my head in the sand and pretend things went well in those matches because you have chosen that approach?

19 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Let's be clear for a minute that the conditions of the United, Leicester and Sheffield games changed quite dramatically from a tactical POV whereas Klopp, unsurprisingly, made very little tactical adjustments (if any) during the Super Cup and Norwich also just kept playing their own game as well.

What about the opponents who change things though?

Good points.  I'd also add that we treated Liverpool with respect, did not over do the press, and came away with a good result conceding 1 goal in 90 mins to the team that won the CL and got 97 points & 89 goals in the PL last year.   In all 4 league games we have shown too little respect to the oppo, and as a result have conceded 9 goals to teams that are no higher in the league than us (this season or last).

The Liverpool game proves we can play more sensibly, the league games proves the wrong choices are being made.