• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Sheffield United 2

Just now, paulw66 said:

I don't see anyone saying Lampard should be fired. 

I think youre confusing a demand for a sacking with criticism and an expectation that Lamps will do poorly and will be fired in the near future if he doesn't pull his socks up. Plenty of that doing the rounds. After the first game in fact. 

paulw66   
Just now, NoblyBobly said:

I think youre confusing a demand for a sacking with criticism and an expectation that Lamps will do poorly and will be fired in the near future if he doesn't pull his socks up. Plenty of that doing the rounds. After the first game in fact. 

That we can agree, is nonsense. 

17 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

With regards to Sarri, the knives were out as soon as he had a couple of poor results. The same people who were shouting for Sarri to go, are now saying Lampard should be given time. It's complete hypocrisy. 

QFT

Yes give him time, but let's not ban fair comments on a game by game basis.

3 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

No - there is an expectation by some of us that Lamps may do poorly, especially if he doesn't pull his socks up, BUT even so no one expects him to be fired.  

The right comparison is AVB - ex-Chelsea, a massively aging team with young replacements, a new style of play and less than 24 months of experience in Portugal as manager.  At the start of a re-build which fans recognised and the club backed with a lot of young players.
Fans were quick enough to get on his back and want him out.  And he won 6 of his first 8 PL games.  Sacked in 5th position (we are 11th with 5 points in 4 games having not played a strong side yet).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

So in all honesty he should have had far less time than Lampard before people got on his back, but he in fact he got far more. 

?!? People were literally asking for Sarris head in a stick by October. We are in September and so far not one person has asked for him to get fired. 

I agree with lots of your sentiment mate but think you’ve got this bit wrong. 

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

never said it did.

and the probably the same  people who vented their fury at that stupid behaviour are now doing exactly the same to Lampard. It's complete hypocrisy. 

Not at all. I’m all for giving our managers time and I’ve argued they should be given time with two exceptions - Benitez and AVB (who was so clearly out of his depth it was laughable). 

So I was a strong backer of Sarri and I’m a strong backer of Lampard. No need to make up two imaginary camps here. But I do see a lot of the members wanting Sarri out (and early) wanting to give Frank time. That is a bit rich, but may he due to other reasons that don’t have much relation to performance or indeed football at all. 

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I don't see anyone saying Lampard should be fired. 

Exactly. 

4 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I think youre confusing a demand for a sacking with criticism and an expectation that Lamps will do poorly and will be fired in the near future if he doesn't pull his socks up. Plenty of that doing the rounds. 

To be blunt, it's you and a few others here who are confusing those two things. They are very different. One is lunacy, the other is pretty much the most sensible, least controversial (even if upsetting or undesirable from a supporter perspective) view to take on how Chelsea FC deals with managers given the last decade and a half. 

Fair play to you if you think Lampard will do really well here and be around for the long term. Admire your optimism and completely and utterly hope you're right. If I'm playing the odds though... 

Said this exact line before and think I'll be saying it a few more times in response to criticism of criticism of Frank... I'm afraid for not of him. 

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

BUT even so no one expects him to be fired.  

Well the earliest point of which I can recall a poster predicted his sacking was before the Champions League started (that was after first game). Plenty said he probably won't make it to Christmas and the end of the season seemed to be hot favourite with many. On top of that there were comments after the United game such as  "he should never have been appointed our manager" (quote). This is a criticism of the man and the board for making a stupid appointment.

I know people say things in the heat of the moment especially on a match thread, but please lets not pretend they weren't said at all.

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

People were literally asking for Sarris head in a stick by October.

I think you'll find you are way off the mark. By all means find me some posts to prove your point but I don't think you will... I'd be pretty amazed if you found any calling for Sarris head on a stick or words to that effect. 

I was kind of ok with him at that point but I was just observing that we shouldn't get too carried away with our winning streak because some fluky results were papering over some fairly obvious cracks in his tactics and team choices. During the whole of October (up to the last game where we beat Burnley 4-0) we were neck and neck with Liverpool and City.  By the end of the season we were 25 points behind them. I think the big criticisms of sarri came around Dec Jan and Feb. And tbh you can understand it. None of us knew at that point how the teams around us were going to perform or whether we would finish top four. All we could see was a massive 27 points dropped between Jan and close of season with some shocking performances. Thats a lot of points and a lot of bad games. I cannot see how that wouldn't attract negative comments. Even with Lampards transfer shackles and loss of Hazard I would expect him to get similar stick if the same thing happened and wouldnt contest it. In fact I would probably join in with it . 

44 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Fair play to you if you think Lampard will do really well here and be around for the long term. Admire your optimism and completely and utterly hope you're right. If I'm playing the odds though... 

Well firstly I've never said I think he will do really well here . I think he has the potential to do well and more importantly I think he is the right appointment at this moment in time for the club. Also I suppose its how you define the phrase "long term" or  "really well".  League title (not a hope) CL victors (don't make me laugh) . Top 4 (terrific achievement) , a domestic trophy (luvely jubly), discover some great academy talent (fantastic).  Do any of us really think any different? 

Next season is different gravy. If he gets a budget and some players he wants then I'm expecting us to be fighting for everything.  If not....well his position will be at risk. Simple as that. 

1 minute ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well firstly I've never said I think he will do really well here . I think he has the potential to do well and more importantly I think he is the right appointment at this moment in time for the club. Also I suppose its how you define the phrase "long term" or  "really well".  League title (not a hope) CL victors (don't make me laugh) . Top 4 (terrific achievement) , a domestic trophy (luvely jubly), discover some great academy talent (fantastic).  Do any of us really think any different? 

Next season is different gravy. If he gets a budget and some players he wants then I'm expecting us to be fighting for everything.  If not....well his position will be at risk. Simple as that. 

I think even next season is too soon for a title challenge. This season top 6 would be a big achievement. Next season, with the budget as you say, I'd hope for top 4. I can't see us challenging for the title until 21/22.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

QFT

Yes give him time, but let's not ban fair comments on a game by game basis.

No - there is an expectation by some of us that Lamps may do poorly, especially if he doesn't pull his socks up, BUT even so no one expects him to be fired.  

The right comparison is AVB - ex-Chelsea, a massively aging team with young replacements, a new style of play and less than 24 months of experience in Portugal as manager.  At the start of a re-build which fans recognised and the club backed with a lot of young players.
Fans were quick enough to get on his back and want him out.  And he won 6 of his first 8 PL games.  Sacked in 5th position (we are 11th with 5 points in 4 games having not played a strong side yet).

Talking of AVB

I did not realise the mighty Poch has only acummulated more Points and Wins in 2 of 5 seasons than AVB in his 1st season at the club. Also poch record doesent fair to good againt the AVB / Tim "I am the best thing since slice bread" Sherwood season with regard to number of PL wins in a season.

Edited by RobertoftheGiz
should have gone to specsavers