• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Sheffield United 2

37 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I too can't be too bothered to go trawling through old post for what is largely irrelevant point, but there are posters on here that are comparing the criticism of the two and I think it's worth challenging because I was very critical of Sarri and his performances here but AFTER I'd seen a fair few.

I can't remember exact the point that I could no longer see a future for him at the club and was really keen for a new coach to come in, but I think it was maybe Christmas time or January. I can remember having some hope that Morata had gone and maybe Higuain would do better but after that it was downhill for me. I left the forum in about mid Feb (I think) for the rest of the season. I didn't want to keep having arguments and moaning.  

Generally speaking BOTH men had their doubters before they arrived and in the initial aftermath of their appointments. With Sarri it was his lack of success and trophies after many years, and with Frank it was the Frank "he's not ready" Lampard thing.  TBF both arguments held water. Things then calmed down a bit after interviews and training and by the time the first game was upon us we are all excited about the season.  Now what is without doubt is that the odd poster was on Frank's case after the United game. Not necessarily saying " sack him"  but more of a " there you are , I told you he wasn't ready". Results wise Sarri had a much better start so we can't actually compare the two, but personally I would have defended him against such premature crtisism but if course observations were made about players, tactics etc coz that's what we come here for. 

I did have a quick look at the Derby match thread for our last match in October to make sure I wasn't wide of the mark, and Ghost you should have look. The general feeling on this forum then was upbeat, positive and dare I say good humoured!  We had squeaked past Frank's Derby County in League cup at home but nobody was having a Sarri pop. 

I do sense now a bit of " you had a pop at Sarri so we are going to have a pop at SLF" . If that's the case , I think it's a bit of a shame . He's a new coach that has been dealt a very tough hand and therefore should be given  patience and respect for the person that we all know is (and what he is trying to do). None of us know how Sarri would have coped with this hand so it's pointless comparing.

I don't disagree with you at large, my only point is that there were people who quite vocally asked Sarri to be fired long before things started to go south. That they were perhaps a bit less vocal about it after the strong start isn't exactly uncommon for this forum. 

Nonetheless, I chose to highlight three bits. The first is something that you should be commended for, the second one I already answered and the third I slightly disagree with. Sure, there will always be people who claim that 'look at me, I told you so'. In fact I could have been one of those myself, but I chose to look at the positive things Lampard has brought into the team and if one looks at things with the long-term in focus I actually think he's done much, much better than I hoped for. To be perfectly fair to a few posters (thevelourfog being one of them), many peple aren't worried of Lampard but for him. Will the club accept a 6th-10th place finish this season without firing him? Cause that's where we will end up. I see no scenario where we end up higher than 6th. I'm perfecly fine with that by the way, if he continues to integrate some of our most talented academy products. 

So far, Christensen, Mount, Abraham, Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek seems to be well integrated in the first team and likely to be a part of the squad for the long term. That's excellent cause it means there's five less players we have to buy next summer. Even so, the re-building process has just started and we will need to get a few big guns in key positions before this group is ready to challenge for a top 4 again. CB, CM, AM and S. But then again we say that every summer...

12 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

I don't disagree with you at large, my only point is that there were people who quite vocally asked Sarri to be fired long before things started to go south. That they were perhaps a bit less vocal about it after the strong start isn't exactly uncommon for this forum. 

Nonetheless, I chose to highlight three bits. The first is something that you should be commended for, the second one I already answered and the third I slightly disagree with. Sure, there will always be people who claim that 'look at me, I told you so'. In fact I could have been one of those myself, but I chose to look at the positive things Lampard has brought into the team and if one looks at things with the long-term in focus I actually think he's done much, much better than I hoped for. To be perfectly fair to a few posters (thevelourfog being one of them), many peple aren't worried of Lampard but for him. Will the club accept a 6th-10th place finish this season without firing him? Cause that's where we will end up. I see no scenario where we end up higher than 6th. I'm perfecly fine with that by the way, if he continues to integrate some of our most talented academy products. 

So far, Christensen, Mount, Abraham, Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek seems to be well integrated in the first team and likely to be a part of the squad for the long term. That's excellent cause it means there's five less players we have to buy next summer. Even so, the re-building process has just started and we will need to get a few big guns in key positions before this group is ready to challenge for a top 4 again. CB, CM, AM and S. But then again we say that every summer...

we are not too far apart on this issue. I do though maintain that there was no calling for Sarris head in October and from brief looks at past  posts I think the evidence supports that. 

The more pertinent question is should Frank ever have come here? If some think no, and still think no then that is an opinion. But if the reason for that opinion is that people are worried FOR him , and that he's too nice a guy to be brutally sacked, or that a Chelsea legend will have his legacy spoiled, then with respect, I think these are rubbish reasons. Frank is a big boy. This club has made him wealthy beyond what any of us could hope for. He has repaid us handsomely on the pitch but now is another era. He is now being paid very well for being our coach. He needs to do a good job. If he doesn't he will be moved on. If he does just an "ok" job , he might move on but still have impressed other clubs with his attacking style and prowess at getting the best out of new talent. I suspect he would have no shortage of job offers from abroad where clubs don't have huge budgets but need to develop youth. Either way I refuse to sit here wringing my hands and fretting over what happens to poor old Frank. I just want him to be given a fair crack of the whip...by the club and by us.

11 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

The more pertinent question is should Frank ever have come here? If some think no, and still think no then that is an opinion. But if the reason for that opinion is that people are worried FOR him , and that he's too nice a guy to be brutally sacked, or that a Chelsea legend will have his legacy spoiled, then with respect, I think these are rubbish reasons. Frank is a big boy. This club has made him wealthy beyond what any of us could hope for. He has repaid us handsomely on the pitch but now is another era. He is now being paid very well for being our coach. He needs to do a good job. If he doesn't he will be moved on. If he does just an "ok" job , he might move on but still have impressed other clubs with his attacking style and prowess at getting the best out of new talent. I suspect he would have no shortage of job offers from abroad where clubs don't have huge budgets but need to develop youth. Either way I refuse to sit here wringing my hands and fretting over what happens to poor old Frank. I just want him to be given a fair crack of the whip...by the club and by us.

Excellent post. No hand-writing need for SFL, just plenty of support.