• Current Donation Goals

exiledblue

VAR and Chelsea

Leo91   

It's still backwards. It was being used to check if Alli was fouled in the box or not, but he was shown to be offside by the broadcast replay, so why aren't they checking that first!? If they score from the freekick it opens up a can of worms.

What happens if they score from the incorrectly given corner when Tomori kicked the ball off Kanes knee.

Edited by Leo91

11 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

It's still backwards. It was being used to check if Alli was fouled in the box or not, but he was shown to be offside by the broadcast replay, so why aren't they checking that first!? If they score from the freekick it opens up a can of worms.

That was weird.  The commentators said that it could still be a foul even if off-side.  Not sure how that works.
But the weirdest thing is that they seemed to be making a decision only if there were contact inside the area, and not considering if there had been contact outside.  They confirmed a wrong decision.

IMO the VAR rules are designed to increase the ref's options by controlling which decisions get reviewed and they break their own rules whenever they choose..  But even if one is less accusing than I am, there seems to be a confusion between:

• VAR sticking to a precise set of rules and only intervening according to them
  • and VAR being an extra assistant to help the ref get decisions right.

I feel sure that they are actually doing a bit of both, and getting confused in the process.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

That was weird.  The commentators said that it could still be a foul even if off-side.  Not sure how that works.
But the weirdest thing is that they seemed to be making a decision only if there were contact inside the area, and not considering if there had been contact outside.  They confirmed a wrong decision.

IMO the VAR rules are designed to increase the ref's options by controlling which decisions get reviewed and they break their own rules whenever they choose..  But even if one is less accusing than I am, there seems to be a confusion between:

I feel sure that they are actually doing a bit of both, and getting confused in the process.

It was a very weird situation. Alli was offside, but these days you're not offside till you touch the ball or interfere with an opponent. So by that logic, you can be fouled when offside and still get a free kick,because you're not doing the interfering. I think there was a case for a second yellow for diving, but var isn't used for incidents outside the box unless it's violent conduct. 

So.... If they had decided the incident was in the box, they could have looked at it and then booked him for diving, if they felt there was no foul. But, in the same incident, if they had looked at it, seen no foul but decided it was not in the box, they couldn't have given a second yellow.

Have I got that right?

8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Next step should be to take the ref and linos off the pitch and officiate everything on VAR. Big brother and all that but at least it would be only one decision maker.........I am not completely serious

paulw66   
6 hours ago, Backbiter said:

It was a very weird situation. Alli was offside, but these days you're not offside till you touch the ball or interfere with an opponent. So by that logic, you can be fouled when offside and still get a free kick,because you're not doing the interfering. I think there was a case for a second yellow for diving, but var isn't used for incidents outside the box unless it's violent conduct. 

So.... If they had decided the incident was in the box, they could have looked at it and then booked him for diving, if they felt there was no foul. But, in the same incident, if they had looked at it, seen no foul but decided it was not in the box, they couldn't have given a second yellow.

Have I got that right?

If the incident was in the box,  they then could have called him offside 

They couldn't give him offside as it was only a free kick. Var isn't allowed to call someone offside of the incident is a free kick,  otherwise var would be looking into every foul

It's a farce really as they could easily have scored from it and benefitted from an offside,  a clear offside, not being given 

8 hours ago, Backbiter said:

Have I got that right?

Well it does sound logical at least.

1 hour ago, exiledblue said:

Next step should be to take the ref and linos off the pitch and officiate everything on VAR. Big brother and all that but at least it would be only one decision maker.........I am not completely serious

Just one guy to stop the fights.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

It's a farce really 

yup.
Kent Walton in the paper this morning saying VAR proved itself a success yesterday.

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

It's a farce really as they could easily have scored from it and benefitted from an offside,  a clear offside, not being given 

Special mention must go to Anthony Taylor and his assistants who were appalling throughout , practically every decision was the wrong one before VAR corrected it .

Send him back to the Championship.

paulw66   
19 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Special mention must go to Anthony Taylor and his assistants who were appalling throughout , practically every decision was the wrong one before VAR corrected it .

I can't believe how Taylor has got out of jail with his decision to award a free kick against Alonso for being kung fu kicked in the head. Imagine if there wasn't VAR and he'd done that?? The difference between 1-0 and 2-0 going into HT was huge. 

I almost made my 18 month old son cry when I leapt up and shouted at the TV when I saw his decision. 

I also then had no faith in VAR doing the right thing, despite it being the clearest penalty since the dawn of time. 

17 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think he was deliberately making cop out decisions knowing that they could be fixed by VAR.  I kind of understand that on the Son decision, because everyone wants to excuse Son after that unfair Red he got a month ago.  But the replays on National TV meant the VAR team had to go for Red.
But the keeping call, and the dive, and all the rest were almost as if he was waiting for VAR to take over.  (I strongly suspect that they give him a running commentary of what they are thinking throughout the game).

There was an incident h1 when one of their players went down as if poleaxed by an elbow.  I didn't see the elbow and it wasn't replayed.  But surely either our player or theirs should have been booked.

Even when Kane got himself involved between Kovacic and Ali, he elbowed Kovacic away with no reaction.