• Current Donation Goals

exiledblue

VAR and Chelsea

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

I know some will say offside is offside, but can you be 100% precise when the picture is frozen at exactly the point of contact?

If they are going to persist with the forensic down to millimetres capability of VAR then they're going to have to change the laws saying there has to be, I don't know, six inches in it not a hair width. 

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

If they are going to persist with the forensic down to millimetres capability of VAR then they're going to have to change the laws saying there has to be, I don't know, six inches in it not a hair width. 

Trouble with that Mark, you will have the same frustrations when someone is 7 inches offside....and so on

paulw66   
4 minutes ago, Ham said:

Plus... One player's foot is on the ground whilst the other is off the ground.  

They were just guessing where to draw the line on the United player.  

Pure BS. 

They weren't guessing.... They made sure.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yes. I remember an article earlier in the season saying that there was a margin of error of up to 30cm when establishing the offside line, largely down to judging exactly when the ball was played. You then have the issue of drawing a line downwards from a limb that's in midair, and deciding where the shoulder ends and the arm begins...

Given that the technology cannot be precise to the millimetre, it makes no sense to allow it to rule goals out by a margin of a millimetre. When it's too close to call, the call should be that the player is onside.

Keepers handball.....ignored.  Kova and Mount yellows unchecked (I know the rules dont cover that but if we have to suffer VAR it should)

23 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

Keepers handball.....ignored.  Kova and Mount yellows unchecked (I know the rules dont cover that but if we have to suffer VAR it should)

Do we know if it was ignored? Or checked and deemed to not be an infraction?

There really is no reason to not VAR yellows given how VAR is being used (I.e. well beyond its stated remit) anyway.

1 hour ago, exiledblue said:

I think they are not instructed to VAR yellows.  There are rules which I believe are goals, Straight Reds and "matters of fact".
Matters of Fact include things like whether the ball has gone off for a throw or a corner.  
So surely whether the keeper has handled the ball inside or outside the area is a "Matter of fact".  But.........

6 hours ago, exiledblue said:

The thing is, they claimed they checked the keepers handball and the Mail published a picture online with the ball still inside the box but I actually rewinded the match on my TV at the time and its so obvious that the ball left the box completely and the GK was holding it. It is not even close.

I love SFL, but if I were in charge I would have completely slaughtered the ref post-match. Obviously it isn't great to criticize the ref all the time but yesterday the guy fully deserved to have his integrity called into question.

And then Lamps goes and says it was a pen as well.... seriously???

I like a manager who owns up to his own responsibility and SFL definitely does that but there are times when you quite rightly need to speak up and we can blame VAR all we want but there were calls yesterday that should have been made using the referee's own eyes. I have never supported conspiracy theories against Chelsea but something was terribly wrong yesterday. It was Ovrebo-esque!

7 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

And then Lamps goes and says it was a pen as well.... seriously???

I think it was a pen.  Not sure why more wasn't made of it being a possible Red.

(I was long been a conspiracy theorist about refs and Chelsea, but haven't seen it with clear certainty since JM left the second time.  CL refs were never biased against us - though they were scandalously pro Barca for many years, and other clubs have even more to complain about with Barca than us.)

3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think it was a pen.  Not sure why more wasn't made of it being a possible Red.

(I was long been a conspiracy theorist about refs and Chelsea, but haven't seen it with clear certainty since JM left the second time.  CL refs were never biased against us - though they were scandalously pro Barca for many years, and other clubs have even more to complain about with Barca than us.)

25-75 call on that pen IMO. Not even 50-50 as far as I am concerned. 

Fact is, if that was against SAF, JM or Wenger you would never hear the end of it. Even Arteta had a good moan at the refs earlier this month IIRC. Klopp definitely speaks up as well.