• Current Donation Goals

exiledblue

VAR and Chelsea

On 09/09/2019 at 2:11 PM, Droy was my hero said:

And if you are re-refereeing all the dubious calls, let's do the obvious thing and review all violent play, regardless of whether a referee looked at it or not.

And there lies the problem, its half hearted and selective making it open to bias and poor refereeing

So yet another VAR decision goes against us today, the ref gives a penalty and the decision is overturned.

Watching the replays I don’t think it is a penalty.

What’s frustrating is we have seen the exact same thing go the other way in other recent games, when it happens to be a certain team in red that will gain two points.

No consistency in the decisions at all, with various reasons given each week to back up what ever outcome they see fit.

I can guarantee now that we will see a softer penalty than today’s given very soon to a certain team, yet it won’t be overturned by VAR and the excuse will be there was the slightest of touches.

Thankfully it didn’t cost us today.

1 hour ago, Jonny_CFC said:

So yet another VAR decision goes against us today, the ref gives a penalty and the decision is overturned.

Correctly, as it happens. 

It wasn't. Not much to complain about there.........:)

No consistency in the decisions at all,

But probably more with VAR, than without, I'd have thought.

with various reasons given each week to back up what ever outcome they see fit.

It's always been the same though, hasn't it? VAR isn't perfect, but surely it's an improvement on the reffing lottery we had before?

9 hours ago, Jonny_CFC said:

What’s frustrating is we have seen the exact same thing go the other way in other recent games, when it happens to be a certain team in red that will gain two points.

No consistency in the decisions at all, with various reasons given each week to back up what ever outcome they see fit.

I can guarantee now that we will see a softer penalty than today’s given very soon to a certain team, yet it won’t be overturned by VAR and the excuse will be there was the slightest of touches.

Thankfully it didn’t cost us today.

Has anyone got a clip of the penalty/VAR decision? I ask as I was on a plane last night and only saw highlights which did not include this. However, I was surprised it was overturned after Mane got a penalty at Leicester for a dive the other week. 

8 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Correctly, as it happens. 

It wasn't. Not much to complain about there.........:)

But probably more with VAR, than without, I'd have thought.

It's always been the same though, hasn't it? VAR isn't perfect, but surely it's an improvement on the reffing lottery we had before?

As I said I do agree with the decision today, it wasn’t a penalty for me after seeing the replays.

My issue is we saw a very similar situation only a couple of weeks ago when a particular team needed to keep their winning run going, and they were treated differently. The penalty was never going to be overturned given the circumstances and that can’t be right surely?

With VAR we are seeing there really are two sets of rules depending on the team involved in the decision. And it allows even greater control to make those decisions.

If they don’t want to give a goal they can hunt for the excuse not to give it, for example a foul or offside leading up to it, no matter how far back in the play, the rules seem to change to fit the argument each week. We have suffered from both those scenarios each already this season. If they want the goal given they just don’t bother looking. I think someone mentioned there was a foul leading up to one of Burnley’s goals yesterday.

As long as certain teams continually benefit from VAR decisions those suspicions will be there. Do you honestly think we would see a VAR performance like we had to suffer at Norwich away with a certain team in red? Never.

Ham   
3 minutes ago, Jonny_CFC said:

As I said I do agree with the decision today, it wasn’t a penalty for me after seeing the replays.

My issue is we saw a very similar situation only a couple of weeks ago when a particular team needed to keep their winning run going, and they were treated differently. The penalty was never going to be overturned given the circumstances and that can’t be right surely?

With VAR we are seeing there really are two sets of rules depending on the team involved in the decision. And it allows even greater control to make those decisions.

If they don’t want to give a goal they can hunt for the excuse not to give it, for example a foul or offside leading up to it, no matter how far back in the play, the rules seem to change to fit the argument each week. We have suffered from both those scenarios each already this season. If they want the goal given they just don’t bother looking. I think someone mentioned there was a foul leading up to one of Burnley’s goals yesterday.

As long as certain teams continually benefit from VAR decisions those suspicions will be there. Do you honestly think we would see a VAR performance like we had to suffer at Norwich away with a certain team in red? Never.

Spot on.  The Mane one was a clear dive over a second after the back of his boot was touched. The entire world expected it to be overturned and a yellow for Mane, but no. 

Sciatika   

At the time I thought it was a penalty simply by the reactions of the players and ref. But then again, both sets of players were appealing for everything even when obviously wrong. When I saw the replay later, I didn't think it wasn't a pen but there was a small push. On reflection, I don't think it was either a penalty or a yellow card.

It was a push, and there was probably contact from behind at the ankle - both by Lowton.  The ref gave it for perceived contact with Tarkowski.

So true, not a penalty by Tarkowski, the ref did misread it, and the contact by Lowton might or might not be a pen depending on the ref's interpretation.
Overruling the refs decision makes sense.

What makes no sense it the yellow card.  They seemed to have judged one thing only - did Tarkowski touch him.  The yellow is given purely because the ref got that wrong.

The yellow card was given so that when Pulisic is launched into the stands , SKY , BT and the BBC can exclaim they can see why it wasn't a free kick and refer back to this occasion to highlight exactly why Chelsea cannot be trusted .

Not specifically VAR related, but something I noticed which looks questionable.

The PL top four have scored 103 goals between the so far and had 8 penalties between them (we are lowest with one)

Man Utd have scored 13 league goals so far and had 6 penalties!

Clearly attacking teams will have a greater chance of getting penalties, but any who has watched Utd this season will know there is a very limited attack threat.