• Current Donation Goals

exiledblue

VAR and Chelsea

Of course there was contact , both on the back of his heel and he was pushed too but the narrative is surely "Chelsea have a new flying winger who might be dangerous lets label him a diver so we never have to allow them another penalty again".

Just like Robben.

Just like Hazard.

To date we are the only side I can recall who's manager had to go on a television programme and hi-jack it so that he could complain about the state of refereeing against his team and his team only.

And it's got worse.

5 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

To date we are the only side I can recall who's manager had to go on a television programme and hi-jack it so that he could complain about the state of refereeing against his team and his team only.

And it's got worse.

Do you think JM appearing on TV so much has lead to old mindsets kicking in amongst refs again?

Got to find him a proper job quick.

23 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Nicely summed up and is why having VAR is infinitely worse than not having it. 

The two bolded sentences sum it up perfectly. Let's be honest, just about any goal scored from a corner or set peice could be disallowed if you look hard enough and find a hand holding a shirt somewhere, or a nudge. Likewise, look hard enough in those situations and you will find something to justify a penalty being given. 

We are now at the end of October and as far as I can make out, we have not had one positive decision from VAR in the PL. 

Edit - and why I am at it, what compounds everything with VAR is that Sky wheel out an ex referee every week to tell us how well VAR did. It's like war time propaganda by a country suffering mass casualties..........everything's fine, nothing to worry about. 

That's exactly whats happening, VAR has allowed the total management of penalties awarded and goals being allowed or ruled out. With that level of control games can be decided on the VAR officials opinion very easily. It might not be so influential if a score line is 4-0, but as we saw with the Norwich away game it can turn a game that one side should be winning comfortably into a far more competitive affair. And in tight games it's crucial as will often decide the destination of the points.

As you say, the media then wheel out ex referee's and biased pundits who then spend hours justifying these decisions and the behaviour of certain teams players, just so we are all clear there is no foul play. I'm wondering what it will take for them to criticise a VAR decision? I actually know the answer to that, when Chelsea benefit from something over a 'favoured' team.

Edited by Jonny_CFC

1 hour ago, Jonny_CFC said:

I'm wondering what it will take for them to criticise a VAR decision? I actually know the answer to that, when Chelsea benefit from something over a 'favoured' team.

Ramires...  - which pretty much justified VAR for a lot of media.  
But to be fair I am amazed just how much criticism VAR is getting from people being paid by BT and Sky.

2 hours ago, Jonny_CFC said:

I actually know the answer to that, when Chelsea benefit from something over a 'favoured' team.

Don't hold your breath .

Sciatika   
5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Do you think JM appearing on TV so much has lead to old mindsets kicking in amongst refs again?

Got to find him a proper job quick.

There is a rumour he is interested in the Arsenal job.

• Haha 1

Jasonb   

I happened to see a replay of the Mane penalty given against Aurier and think it went the wrong way.

Mane at no point touched the ball just puts his foot in front of Aurier's striking foot and goes over.

For me a yellow for simulation. 

55 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

There is a rumour he is interested in the Arsenal job.

That would be really interesting if it were to happen. I doubt he is personally, I think it’s almost to big a challenge for him. Huge respect to him if he takes a job similar to Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton. I just don’t see it though, his reputation has taken too much a knock to take such a risky job. I think Real Madrid, PSG, Juventus are more what he is waiting on.

Would love to see him take a real challenge though and get back to the manager he was in his Porto days.

21 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

That would be really interesting if it were to happen. I doubt he is personally, I think it’s almost to big a challenge for him.

A big challenge, kind of like the Augean stables of Man U without the money.  To be fair, I don't think Emery has done that bad so far.  JM would want it I reckon.

Still he was asked a leading question - would he manage Arsenal if the job came up.  He is too smart to say no (even if it was too small for him, it would be far too arrogant to say so).

1 hour ago, Jasonb said:

I happened to see a replay of the Mane penalty given against Aurier and think it went the wrong way.

Mane at no point touched the ball just puts his foot in front of Aurier's striking foot and goes over.

For me a yellow for simulation. 

All day long .

He cheated in a far more calculated way than CHO and CHO was booked .

It's a con and VAR is the end of football in the UK .