• Current Donation Goals

exiledblue

VAR and Chelsea

Shock of the season - https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/ranking-every-premier-league-club-by-who-has-benefited-most-from-var/

At the bottom of the list:

Aston Villa -2

Villa have also had two goals ruled out, although only one proved costly.

John McGinn’s disallowed goal against Burnley meant VIlla were held to a 2-2 draw, but they still managed to beat Brighton 2-1 despite Conor Hourihane having his goal ruled out.

Wolves -2

Wolves have seen two goals chalked off: Leander Dendoncker’s effort against Leicester in August and Raul Jimenez’s strike against Southampton in October. On both occasions the Midlanders had to settle for a point.

Chelsea -4

Kurt Zouma and Cesar Azpilicueta have both had goals ruled out by VAR, against Norwich and Liverpool respectively, while Callum Hudson-Odoi had a penalty overturned after being adjudged to have dived against Burnley and Gerard Deulofeu had a penalty for Watford awarded following a trip by Jorginho.

After the narrow victory at Watford, Chelsea boss Frank Lampard said: “If we are saying they are grey areas and we are overturning decisions because one referee somewhere else thinks it was more of a penalty than the referee on the pitch, then I think we are in a really dangerous place.

“You’re going to be tossing a coin every week.”

Edited by Box of Tricks

Kent Walton making a fool of himself in the Times.  Reckons he changed his own yellow to a Red when he saw just how much that Shawcross tackle did to Ramsey. And so the ref yesterday was right to change to Red for Son.

Complete idiot.

paulw66   

Incredibly Dermot Gallagher says the Watford penalty shouldn't have been awarded.

You know you've been stitched when he is on our side!

The one good thing about VAR is we can at least now tangibly measure that we get the short end of the stick.

Many on here have been in about biased against us for years. I never bought into this until about 3 years back, so I’m late to that party so to speak. It’s become more and more obvious in recent years. What happens at Chelsea is not reported equally compared with other clubs. We now have at least something to support this. It’s a small win if nothing else.

Just now, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

The one good thing about VAR is we can at least now tangibly measure that we get the short end of the stick.

Many on here have been in about biased against us for years. I never bought into this until about 3 years back, so I’m late to that party so to speak. It’s become more and more obvious in recent years. What happens at Chelsea is not reported equally compared with other clubs. We now have at least something to support this. It’s a small win if nothing else.

The reffing got a lot better 3 years ago after JM left.  Of course when we were doing well in earlier years, we often were 2 goals better than the oppo so it showed less.  

The worst game by far was Clattenberg at Spurs (May 2016) when it became just plain dangerous the amount they were getting away with.  (Spurs and Poll in 2006 next).
Both Clattenberg and Poll retired early at the end of the summer - I guess because the PMGOL could back them publically but couldn't risk a repeat.
I know poor performance in 15/16 was a factor is refs losing interest in us.  But I wonder if embarrassment over Clattenberg also played a factor.

chara   

I always used to think that refereeing "errors" were the result of incompetence or unsighted especially before PMGOL in the days of.."Tonights referee is Jonathan Obscure..a tax accountant from Suburbatown" etc...and the later conspiracy theories seemed far fetched. BUT as time went on it looked to me as if things seemed more biased than the average fans acceptance of the ref favouring the opposition.

Remember the Arse game that the ref almost (actually) encouraged them to take the quick free kick against us?...usually a ref makes sure anything around the box is taken at HIS  whistle and time..showing control etc.

I wish I had a scholars concentration to be able to watch other games to judge the refs performance but it is hard for me. Watching keepers in other games is far easier.

As the game speeds up the referees seem behind the curve and bias at top level gets shown up especially with the VAR nightmare.

A bias not seen in the days of "Jonathon Obscure"

Droy highlights things far better than me and makes a good argument about the progression of bias.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chara said:

I always used to think that refereeing "errors" were the result of incompetence or unsighted especially before PMGOL in the days of.."Tonights referee is Jonathan Obscure..a tax accountant from Suburbatown" etc...and the later conspiracy theories seemed far fetched. BUT as time went on it looked to me as if things seemed more biased than the average fans acceptance of the ref favouring the opposition.

Remember the Arse game that the ref almost (actually) encouraged them to take the quick free kick against us?...usually a ref makes sure anything around the box is taken at HIS  whistle and time..showing control etc.

I wish I had a scholars concentration to be able to watch other games to judge the refs performance but it is hard for me. Watching keepers in other games is far easier.

As the game speeds up the referees seem behind the curve and bias at top level gets shown up especially with the VAR nightmare.

A bias not seen in the days of "Jonathon Obscure"

Droy highlights things far better than me and makes a good argument about the progression of bias.

The ref who conspired with Henry over the quick free kick (and told Eidur to retreat even though you are entitled to be less than ten yards away for a quick free kick) was the legendary Graham Poll.

Two games involving other teams when I've been staggered at the ref's bias were the notorious Man U -Arsenal game when they ended their unbeaten run (Mike Riley, the one who told Cech to get off the pitch after his skull had been caved in); and Chris Foy who let Stoke kick the shi!t out of Spurs. Both were a total disgrace of a similar degree to some of the scandals we've suffered from the likes of Poll, Dean, Foy and Clattenburg. Nothing as bad as Ovrebo, though.

Liverlad   
15 hours ago, Box of Tricks said:

If this is just a list showing the number of VAR decisions that have reversed the original decisions, then does it not suggest Chelsea are getting favourable on-field decisions?

Ham   
16 minutes ago, Liverlad said:

If this is just a list showing the number of VAR decisions that have reversed the original decisions, then does it not suggest Chelsea are getting favourable on-field decisions?

Almost exclusively the right on field decision incorrectly overturned by VAR.  

This doesn't even take into account a number of clear crucial issues that were ignored by VAR.  You'd have to be a Chelsea fan to see just how often it happens.  

The Mane penalty was less of a penalty than the one Hudson-Odoi got booked for as there was a very clear push in the back and he went down in the same movement.  Mane dived a second or two later.  

Edited by Ham